Seborrheic Dermatitis/ Regimens

RegaLady

Born to be MILD by dermadocter helped to clear Dh's SD. I also cleared up some dermititis on my face after a bad reaction to something else I put on it. It has pyrithione zinc in it. I was amazed by the results!

daviine

I've had it about 12 years. Ketaconozole and selsun blue gave me bad thinning and made things worse. This condition is what caused me to go natural in 2004

here's what helped
prepoo with coconut oil
giovanni tea tree shampoo and conditioner (SULFATE AND CONE FREE) every 4-7 days
taking msm

what's helping now
coconut oil
blue bottles keracare dry & itchy scalp shampoo (applicator bottle) and matching conditioner (NOT SULFATE or CONE FREE)
Not eating lactose or dairy
not being stressed
not using butters, gels, or creams containing thick or sticky ingredients like shea butter
drinking water

I've already eliminated milk but its the other dairy products I'm having trouble with. I've upped my water intake. I'm looking forward to making more changes little by little.

Derm just told me I have this. Bumping because I want to know too.

He recommended Head and Shoulders but when I read the ingredients it contains sulfates which I can't use. Anybody come across any natural remedies?

I haven't tried this yet this but Theraneem shampoos don't have sulfates.

Evco cured mine on the scalp after YEARS of prescribed medications failed. I'd apply in 1x weekly as part of my prepoo, and before I knew it, it was GONE and never returned. I still apply evco regularly there. Sulfur helps as well.

Now if I can only get the same success on my face. I'm in an awful flare right now. :sad: Evco is waaaay too strong for my face. It exacerbates it and makes it feel like it's on fire. Maybe that was the evco initially healing it, but idk. I tried it several times and just couldn't bear it.

My face, though, had been really beautiful for several months now-no flare ups, not even acne....then I decide to change my facial soap from Wal-Mart brand Cetaphil to something more "natural", Neutrogina Naturals. That's when all hell broke lose in my face and I've been suffering for 2 weeks now. I just realized the connection yesterday.

So today I'm returning to my SD-and-acne clear-face reggie with Wal-Mart brand Cetaphil, consumable aloe vera gel left to dry, then moisturize with organic jojoba oil.

Note, Wal-Mart brand Cetaphil is marketed as generic Cetaphil, but the ingredients are not the same.

Keep us updated on your progress.

ladies, please try taking a tbsp of flaxseed oil daily. I've been told my the derm that this is incurable and I've only liked the Luxiq foam which is no longer available.

I read about the flaxseed oil somewhere online and within a week my scalp and face (I present around my nose) were clear.

I don't take it daily but whenever I have a flare and go back to my flaxseed oil, it only takes a day or two for it to subside.

A $13 bottle lasts me 2-3 months and it much more economical than those ointments and steroids:wink2:

ETA: Only the oil gave me the quick results. The pills were not effective for me. Be sure to get the kind with lignans.

I started taking flaxseed oil Wednesday because I read it was good for SD. Unfortunately, I had a reaction around the same time from a hot oil treatment. But just to be sure that it wasn't the flaxseed oil, I stopped taking it and will restart in a week or so.

Why does it have to be the formula that has lignans? I know people who are interested in breast health take the lignan version. I didn't think it mattered for SD so I bought the original kind (it was cheaper).

Ltown

Greyland
I had seborrehic dermatis for short time as a reaction to indigo. I was treated with fluocinonide. It worked quick. I stop pooing weekly, now cowash. I avoid anything with fragrance specifically anything with citrus, pimento oil was a killer. Hope you get better.

ronnie78

daviine,yes the Keracare Natural Textures Cleansing Cream gets my hair really clean almost too clean so I always follow it up with their hydrating shampoo. I think that it's similiar to a clarifying shampoo, but just not as drying. The directions on the back of the bottle says that you can use it to eliminate styling product build up and to clarify dry or itchy scalp conditions. I focus mainly on my scalp when I use it.

Anne26

panda
@
daviine

I co-wash everyday with any conditioner without cones, not because of SD but because it's so hot where I live, all year around. I don't have a preference for the olive oil, it's just easier for me to buy, I think what works best is the rosemary oil that's in it. :)

I've tried a couple of specific shampoos without sucess..one being head and shoulders.

Charla

A note for the ladies who cowash, don't rub the conditioner into your scalp, just the hair. Wash your scalp with just the water. We don't want any buildup on the scalp from the conditioner which will happen if it's being repeatedly applied there. Any buildup on the scalp will surely aggravate our SD.

daviine

Charla said:
A note for the ladies who cowash, don't rub the conditioner into your scalp, just the hair. Wash your scalp with just the water. We don't want any buildup on the scalp from the conditioner which will happen if it's being repeatedly applied there. Any buildup on the scalp will surely aggravate our SD.
Charla
I totally agree. I try really hard not to get it on my scalp even though I do get some on when I'm working it in. Are you able to avoid your scalp completely?

I'm considering stopping cowashing but I haven't decided. I'll probably cowash with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (or prepoo with it) so I can finish it up. I don't know why but my scalp didn't even tingle.

Leslie_C

Good point! Bingo! When I apply stuff to my scalp hell breaks loose, but I just apply it to the hair and massage my scalp to loosen dirt and oil so little if any gets on there. When I first started cowashing Id apply product to the scalp and I got these big crusty flakes built up in my scalp. Since I made that change and started using ACV rinses my scalp has been clear.

Taking notes in this thread bc Ive given myself a self diagnosis of SD :lol:

Last edited:

Charla

@Charla
I totally agree. I try really hard not to get it on my scalp even though I do get some on when I'm working it in. Are you able to avoid your scalp completely?

I'm considering stopping cowashing but I haven't decided. I'll probably cowash with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (or prepoo with it) so I can finish it up. I don't know why but my scalp didn't even tingle.

@daviine I'm able to avoid my scalp from the conditioner almost completely by first rinsing my scalp and rubbing it well with my fingers before I apply any conditioner to my hair. During rinsing of the conditioner from my hair, some is bound to get on my scalp, but rinsing thoroughly helps to wash it all away. It really helps me doing it that way.

BTW, I do shampoo my scalp, just not every wash (unless I'm using a growth aid like MN or sulfur.)

Last edited:

glamazon386

Washed my hair this morning with my Trader Joes tea tree shampoo. No itchies so far. When I washed it yesterday before going to the derm there were white patches everywhere. I used my Jane Carter Shampoo yesterday. I'm wondering if that caused the flare.

ladyfay

I use Mediceuticals -Xfolate for Persistent Dandruff/psorasis treatment shampoo and Olux foam RX. They sell the Olux in generic now, so it cost less with insurance.

http://www.haircarechoices.com/p10162-X-Folate+Persistent+Dandruff+Psoriasis+Treatment+Shampoo.html

Last edited:

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light

Charla

I scratch my scalp all over right before I rinse & detangle, just like the Dominicans in the salon do. I scratch the area, and everything rinses away with the conditioner. Exfoliating my scalp helps keep it from getting all clogged up.

Charla

Amazing, my face is already responding to the generic Cetaphil. Thank goodness! Maybe it's all the parabens in it that's healing me...or killing me softly!:ohwell:

Last edited:

nickmack

Thanks to MeowMix for giving me the heads-up about this thread. I've been dx'ed with seb. derm. since I was a teen. I'll share what's been working for me.

Shampoo: Carol's Daughter Rosemary & Mint Clarifying Shampoo (I use this and focus primarily on my scalp, especially if I've been oiling a lot for the week). If I'm having a flare up, I may need medicated shampoo - Selsun Blue and Nizoral work great BUT wreak havoc on my poor hair. So I use these only in the event of an emergency.

Apple Cider Vinegar rinses have been very good for keeping my condition under control. I do these maybe once or twice a month. Before, I had to do them weekly.

Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals (I don't do this often...too much co-washing can irritate my scalp...)

Conditioner: Aubrey Organics HSR

Leave-In Conditioner: Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-In calms my scalp down really well, and Oyin Handmade's Greg Juice keeps my hair moist and supple

Oils: Castor Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Tea Tree EO, Rosemary EO and Peppermint EO mixed together in any way can be applied to my scalp without fear of flares - what I MUST stay away from is jojoba oil and olive oil - whenever those two come anywhere near my scalp, I flare up immediately. Coconut oil can sometimes trigger flare-ups, but not enough for me to avoid it like the plague...so I still enjoy using Vatika oil on occasion.

I must also steer CLEAR of shea butter on my scalp. No ma'am. That's a 5-alarm fire waiting to happen.

I've recently discovered that using aloe vera gel on my scalp for sore/tender spots works wonders! I'm in the Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge and recently got some AVG for twisting...I decided to use it on my scalp and my gosh - BLISS. Especially when it's refrigerated. BLISS, I say. BLISS.

Okay so those are products. My regimen?

Shampoo my scalp between 2x-3x monthly
Co-wash maybe 1x-3x weekly (if my hair is extremely thirsty...if I'm co-washing often, I make sure to cleanse my scalp via shampooing often)
Deep condition with my AOHSR 1x-2x per week (I'm a colour-treated natural, it's a must)
Apply leave-in conditioner
Seal with oils of choice
Use AVG or Shea Moisture CES for twisting

That's it! Depending on how my scalp feels, I may rinse daily with just water.

NOTE: When my flare-ups require an intervention from my dermatologist, she gives me SAS - it's a sulfur and salicylic acid blend that is to be applied to the scalp nightly. I usually use it until things get under control once again.

Hope this helps someone :)

Mleah

OK, laugh if you have to but I am experiencing some relief with.....monistat mixed with tea tree EO. I apply it to the areas that always erupt for about 1-2 hours then I shampoo. I do this every 2nd to 3rd day.I'm noticing less itch and scale. I also avoid putting shea butter and jojoba oil on my scalp.

chesleeb

Well ladies I have suffered form this stuff for a long time but I finally got my routine down.Did anyone here ever experience flare ups when they went outside and sun hit and that mess would itch? That ish used to drive me crazy. Well i had years to somehow figure out what are my triggers first and foremost I had to look at my diet i have cut out high frutostose corn sryup and refined foods. Sounds crazy but I really think that was the culprit for my mines anyway. I can't use butters like shea butter or coco butter idk why but I can't it gives me flare ups. I am still on my journey with sd so we shall see this is what is working for me now.

I wash my hair 1 a week with head and shoulders and for flare ups I must use Selsum Blue. Leave in Giovanni Direct and I seal with Sulfur 8 on scalp and Royal Crown on hair. If I have a flare up I mix Sulfur 8 w Glovers and it knocks it right out. Now since I am in braids I grease my scalp with Sulfur 8 and Glovers mix and I cool.

The more simple my reggie is the better it sucks because I can't do all the "natural" stuff but after the years I have accepected it so I'm good.

Mleah

^^I agree with the butters issues. My hair looks great with them but my scalp looks and feels terrible.

daviine

OK, laugh if you have to but I am experiencing some relief with.....monistat mixed with tea tree EO. I apply it to the areas that always erupt for about 1-2 hours then I shampoo. I do this every 2nd to 3rd day.I'm noticing less itch and scale. I also avoid putting shea butter and jojoba oil on my scalp.

Mleah I'm not laughing. Monistat makes sense. Isn't it an antifungal? I think of SD as a yeast infection on your scalp, so why not?

Please keep us updated on how this is working for you.

Well ladies I have suffered form this stuff for a long time but I finally got my routine down.Did anyone here ever experience flare ups when they went outside and sun hit and that mess would itch? That ish used to drive me crazy. Well i had years to somehow figure out what are my triggers first and foremost I had to look at my diet i have cut out high frutostose corn sryup and refined foods. Sounds crazy but I really think that was the culprit for my mines anyway. I can't use butters like shea butter or coco butter idk why but I can't it gives me flare ups. I am still on my journey with sd so we shall see this is what is working for me now.

I wash my hair 1 a week with head and shoulders and for flare ups I must use Selsum Blue. Leave in Giovanni Direct and I seal with Sulfur 8 on scalp and Royal Crown on hair. If I have a flare up I mix Sulfur 8 w Glovers and it knocks it right out. Now since I am in braids I grease my scalp with Sulfur 8 and Glovers mix and I cool.

The more simple my reggie is the better it sucks because I can't do all the "natural" stuff but after the years I have accepected it so I'm good.

chesleeb
Glover's? Oh man, memory lane. I don't think about these products much since I don't apply anything to my scalp except shampoo. It sucks, because I would love to be in these challenges where people use sulfur and whatnot to help them grow their hair, but I'd rather not be itching my scalp all day.

I think diet is probably a key link. I've pretty much given up milk--but still struggle with ice cream, cheese, and butter. :perplexed Not to say that I'm eating these every day but more to say that I'm not really saying no to them. I'm horrible with food journals so I haven't tried to cut anything else out. I really need to be more in tune with my body, so these things will be more obvious to me.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
MrsJaiDiva, I'm glad u posted this bc I was getn ready to order 1oz from gow for $4. Does ur bottle have an expiration date and have you still been having good results withneem? Tia

I think it does have one, but it takes a long time to expire. I don't use the neem as much, but I feel like I'm still reaping the benefits. My scalp hasn't returned to its former poor health, although I do still have dandruff. It's not as bad, and I can maintain my scalps health with tea tree oil. I only need to use neem every two months or so now.

Mleah

I've been wanting to post for awhile when I was sure it was working. I'm having great luck with vinegar rinses, at least 2X a week after shampooing and conditioning.
The Shock It Method
I started out with the Nizoral 2% shampoo. I applied it to my scalp only and left it on for 1 1/2 hours with a cap before rinsing it out and conditioning normally. My subsequent shampoos were not that intensive because the scaling had subsided substantially. I alternate with the Chagrin Valley Neem/tea tree oil shampoo bar which is so UGH but it works. I shampooed in the shower with the Nizoral or Neem/tea tree bar, leaving it on for only a few minutes and rinsing in the normal fashion.
I always follow my final rinses with ACV that I massage into the scalp.
I can use the butters again without issue because the yeast fungus that causes the flakes is in check.
Overall
This is a manifestation of what internally is off in our systems. I am a diabetic, so when my "sugars" are off the chart it feeds the yeast which makes the cells on my scalp divide exponentially. Maybe, you are not diabetic but allergic to something or have an illness that is causing the body to react in this manner. Explore what your issue(s) is and tend to it internally first.:yep:
I dilute the vinegar: 3-4T to 1 cup water.

Last edited:

Pinkicey

Has anyone used sea salt in their shampoo? I heard that it's good for seborrheic dermititis, but my hair dresser thinks it will dry my hair out.

felic1

I use distilled water with tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil (EO) for my spray bottle. I added a small amount of SSI hair milk this time. The essential oil spray is so blissfully comfortable!!! My scalp loves it. I do not have a lot of flares. I have some nizoral shampoo that I use on occasion.

Snuckles

Thanks for bumping this thread. I have Seborrheic Dermatitis and still on a journey to figuring out what works for me. I've recently accepted the fact that if I don't use Dr. prescribed steroids and what not, that I need to wash my hair more frequently. In a perfect world I would wash my hair every three days. I use the "roots only" applicator bottle to apply the shampoo to my scalp.

My hair loves shea butter, I can't imagine not using it. Based on many in this thread that have had problems with it, I will make sure it says on my hair and doesn't make it to my scalp.

I really enjoyed reading what everyone else is using in this thread and hope more will add to it.