Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Solia

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Haven't tried either.

Votes: 33 36.3%

• Total voters

hOnii

Which do you find to be better?

I just bought a sedu 1" flat iron and I find that it burns me (my fingers)! Its ceramic plates extend to the end of the flat iron, so there is no cool place to rest my hands as I am curling my hair, so I don't have much control. I used to have a wigo, and they had an extended edge specifically made for you to hold on to, so maybe I'm just spoiled by that and I will get used to the sedu after some use?

The solia was the other flat iron I was looking at, and I am thinking that maybe I should return the sedu and go for that one... How is solia compared to the sedu?

If anyone has any input, I would love to hear it. Oh, and don't forget to vote!

**In your responses, could you please include whether you have tried both, and prefer a specific one, or if you've just tried one, and love it. Ty**

Last edited:

Soliel185

That threw me for a loop at first as well. I have a WIGO and I used to hold the ends closed for more control and to bump the ends. But now I'm used to it, I think it's an even trade for the health and shine of my hair. :grin:

Now I set overnight on dry hair with flexirods, or use a very low heat curling iron to quickly set my hair if I'm in a hurry.

HoneyDew

I prefer the Solia personally. I just did not get the same result from the sedu.

Out of the two, the Solia gets my vote.

filthyfresh

I have a Solia, mainly because I was too poor for a Sedu. LOL. But actually it works GREAT. Turns my hair into silk.

SoAnxious12

I'm looking into purchasing a sedu myself.
I did a search earlier for sedu reviews but i didn't find too many naturals. They do however have picture testimonials on folica.com, i believe it all on the first 3-5 pages on the customer reviews section for the prodcut. The sedu 2008 seems to have more curved plates

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I love my Solia! (In fact I just finished using it)

I have tried a lot of flat irons and it is the first flat iron to get my hair silky.

morehairplease

I did a search earlier for sedu reviews but i didn't find too many naturals. They do however have picture testimonials on folica.com, i believe it all on the first 3-5 pages on the customer reviews section for the prodcut. The sedu 2008 seems to have more curved plates

I want this one

Last edited:

hOnii

hm... thanks ladies.

anyone else?

i've also been kicking around the idea of the sedu revolution 2008...I may have to bite the bullet and spend the extra $30, because from the reviews thusfar, it looks pretty good!

but there are also good reviews on the solia, which is soo much better priced. i'm just so confused :perplexed

CurleeDST

I have sedu flat iron results in my fotki.

RubyWoo

I love both equally! Honestly, imo you can't go wrong with either one. However, if you flat iron with two hands (meaning you put one set of hands on the plates and the other hand on the handle) then you're better off getting the Solia. The outer plates of the Sedu get very, very hot. Also, I got great results with the Sedu by flat ironing with just one hand and not placing the other hand over the plates. When I did that my hair snagged and the results weren't as great.

Aggie

Sedu hands down. It makes my hair incredibly smooth and shiny and it glides across my strands like silk on silk:lick:. I've never had a problem with snagging and I never make it real hot. I haven't used it since joining the LHCF Bootcamp Challenge 2008 and I miss it dearly. I think I will use it when I get my next relaxer and I guess I'll have to use one of my free Bootcamp passes then too:yep:.

Last edited:

Miamori

I've never tried the Sedu. I have a Solia and LOVE it. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I have also spoken with ladies on other forums who love their Solias too, but I can't compare to the Sedu, since I haven't tried it.

The Solia has a cool tip I can hold while curling. :)

STLCoverGirl

I love my Sedu, I had a 1", but just bought a 1.5". I was thinking about buying the Solia b/c it comes in pink, it's cheaper and it got good reviews on folica as well. However, I decided to stick with Sedu, because I know it works for me. I really don't think you could go wrong with either one. I am just mad I have been using the 1" on my hair for years, the 1.5" cut down on my straightening time something serious.

Last edited:

~CurlyNikki~

I bought the Solia. I may have used mine inappropriately- my hair looked great, but I had breakage and splits for 2 years after. I used it at 350-400 degrees. It got my hair bone straight, but it made my hair break over time :0(

empressri

I don't know, I think I have to hone my skills with the solia. I want to get a sedu but I've heard mixed reactions soooo....maybe use it on a lower temp and do it in teeeensy sections?

princessnad

Haven't tried Sedu but I have a Solia and I love it. I've abused it a bit but my hair always turns out silky and feels moisturized when I use it.

Eisani

I've purchased two Sedu irons and love them. People complain about not being able to touch the plates, but that really comes down to technique and the way the iron is supposed to work. You don't need to touch the plates because they aren't supposed to be clamped or squeezed too tightly on the hair, even when curling. I believe it even says that in the product description or directions. IMO most touch the outside of most irons out of habit, not necessity. Especially when it's a quality iron.

Allandra

I've purchased two Sedu irons and love them. People complain about not being able to touch the plates, but that really comes down to technique and the way the iron is supposed to work. You don't need to touch the plates because they aren't supposed to be clamped or squeezed too tightly on the hair, even when curling. I believe it even says that in the product description or directions. IMO most touch the outside of most irons out of habit, not necessity. Especially when it's a quality iron.
You're right about the plates. One should not have to touch the plates. I never do.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I have 4 Sedu irons. A 1 inch and a 1.5 inch that I keep in the house. The other 1.5 inch travels with me. The other I use as a loaner to all the non-believers. Nuff said.

ETA: There's never a need to touch the outsides of the plates. Just squeeze the handles. No need for the old practices of inferior irons by making added pressure.

isawstars

I've had both. I bought the Sedu first...back in '05. I replaced it with the solia... and it's okay. The sedu got my hair straighter and I saw less split ends. The nice thing about the solia is that it's easier to bump my ends and do curls. But my solia tends the snag my hair. I have the pink solia though... I don't know if that makes a difference, it's a special edition for breast cancer (I don't know if they still sell it, I bought it in '07).

But over all... I like the Sedu best.

secretdiamond

I don't like my Sedu.:perplexed Makes my hair dry. I get snaps & breakage when trying to comb 10 min after flat ironing. It feels good only right after the iron has passed on the hair. When I'm trying to comb it later, it's dry & not silky (although it looks really silky).

It's waaaaayy better than the maxiglide though. The maxiglide makes my hair way drier with way more breakage (& does not even look silky like with the Sedu). :ohwell: But it gives me more body than the Sedu.

My Jilbere ceramic curling iron puts the silkiness feeling back into my hair after I flat iron so I'm thinking of just buying a flat iron from Jilbere & see how that goes.

I'm just mad I've spent so much money on the so-called best irons & still end up with these results. Frustrating.

Last edited:

lizjoseph

Bumping as I'm thinking of getting on of these as a gift for a friend. She is completely natural and has 4b hair with MAJOR shrinkage. (Her hair is shoulder length when straighten- after a wash, it is ear length- no lie. :look:)

Whichever one I go with, I am thinking about getting the 1 inch size. Would that be good enough?

isawstars

Have you tried flat ironing on a lower temperature? Maybe it's too hot

I don't like my Sedu.:perplexed Makes my hair dry. I get snaps & breakage when trying to comb 10 min after flat ironing. It feels good only right after the iron has passed on the hair. When I'm trying to comb it later, it's dry & not silky (although it looks really silky).

It's waaaaayy better than the maxiglide though. The maxiglide makes my hair way drier with way more breakage (& does not even look silky like with the Sedu). :ohwell: But it gives me more body than the Sedu.

My Jilbere ceramic curling iron puts the silkiness feeling back into my hair after I flat iron so I'm thinking of just buying a flat iron from Jilbere & see how that goes.

I'm just mad I've spent so much money on the so-called best irons & still end up with these results. Frustrating.

KinksnCurlz

i have a sedu and i love it long time.
i believe i've had my hair flat ironed with a solia at the salon, it came out nice 2.

secretdiamond

Have you tried flat ironing on a lower temperature? Maybe it's too hot
maybe you're right. I had it on a lower temp for the longest then when I got the dryness, I thought it was b/c the temp was too low so I increased it & still the same. But I already ordered a Solia (due in tom.) :lachen:. Hope this one is better. :/

My sister's hair does GREAT with the sedu (which is why I know it is a good flat iron). It gives her the results you all rave about (same temp & even hotter at times). So I'm gonna give it to her.

kblc06

Really? I think its all in the technique. You can have the best of irons and achieve mediocre results without the right technique (I usually do 2-3 inch pieces in very thin sections).

I had the opposite result between the sedu and maxiglide. I've shied away from using the plate with the pins if my hair is stretched and I used a good heat protectant. My hair always turns out feeling so soft with no breakage, plus the steam is GREAT! The sedu left my hair still looking puffy, but it was a silky looking kind of puffiness :lachen: