Seemingly Endless Shedding even after trtmnt...HELP

LawyerBarbie07

Hey ya'll

I never have my hair out. I've been growing it well with weaves for almost a year now. However, I decided to give the weaves a rest for a while and I turned to Emergencee(without a cap under the dryer til its hard) to stop any shedding or breakage. I noticied that the last time I did a treatment did not help. I have long shed hairs everywhere. It seems that I can't run my fingers through my hair without it shedding. Not one or two hairs... a combful. I have never had this problem before and I am flipping out. Is it too soon to do another emergencee treatment(i just did it on Monday)? Should I just deep condition?

Any suggestions? Please help!!!!

Last edited:
LawyerBarbie, you do know that it's normal for hair to shed daily, right? As many as 100 hairs. So could that be what you're seeing? Emergencee will help to stop "breakage" not shedding. Shedding is what your hair does when the strands reach the end of their growth cycle. Every strand is at a different stage in the growth cycle, with about 10% in the resting stage after which they are shed.

Three phases of the hair growth cycle exist: Anagen= growth phase; Catagen= degradation phase; Telogen= resting phase. Periods of growth (anagen) between two and eight years are followed by a brief period, two to four weeks, in which the follicle is almost totally degraded (catagen). The resting phase (telogen) then begins and lasts two to four months. Shedding of the hair occurs only after the next growth cycle (anagen) begins and a new hair shaft begins to emerge. On average 50-100 telogen hairs are shed every day. This is normal hair loss and accounts for the hair loss seen every day in the shower and with hair combing. These hairs will regrow. Not more than 10 percent of the follicles are in the resting phase (telogen) at any time. A variety of factors can affect the hair growth cycle and cause temporary or permanent hair loss (alopecia) including medication, radiation, chemotherapy, exposure to chemicals, hormonal and nutritional factors, thyroid disease, generalized or local skin disease, and stress.

Note, if you've not been manipulating your hair, then more hair will appear to come out since the shed hair during your non-manipulative do is usually caught in the hair and shows up only when you comb. So you may be seeing not just the hair you shed today, but hair you shed when you had a weave but which didn't get to fall out since you were not bothering your hair.

If you are seeing more than 100 hairs or so a day, or your hair appears to be thinning, then you might want to visit a doctor to make sure there aren't health issues affecting your hair.

Good luck.

Thnx Nonie! Maybe the fact that I've been trying low manipulation is the cause. I'll monitor it and hope I'm not losing too much in the next few days

In your case it may go back to that no manipulation thing... There is a product with garlic called Alter Ego that people say helps stop shedding..

I found this on the web:

Hair Braids/Weaves
Many black women and some black men braid their hair or wear hair weaves. Under normal conditions these cause no problems. However if the weave is attached too tight or the braids are wrapped too tight, they put a constant strain on the hair follicle. If this is done for an extended period of time permanent hair loss can result. This is known as Traction Alopecia and is fairly common among people who braid or weave their hair. Make sure the person applying the braids or weave is qualified to do so and don't wear braids or weaves continuously for extended periods of time.

I would recommend using amla oil to nourish the scalp and hair. I believe this would help with the shedding. Do you have some amla oil?

dlewis said:
I found this on the web:

Hair Braids/Weaves
Many black women and some black men braid their hair or wear hair weaves. Under normal conditions these cause no problems. However if the weave is attached too tight or the braids are wrapped too tight, they put a constant strain on the hair follicle. If this is done for an extended period of time permanent hair loss can result. This is known as Traction Alopecia and is fairly common among people who braid or weave their hair. Make sure the person applying the braids or weave is qualified to do so and don't wear braids or weaves continuously for extended periods of time.

I would recommend using amla oil to nourish the scalp and hair. I believe this would help with the shedding. Do you have some amla oil?

Dee where do you purchase your amla oil? The indian store in my area is suspect. I think their products are old and most are expired.:(

i agree with nonie. sounds like built up shedding to me. i'd do a thorough, but gentle comb out. you might even have to resort to using a fine tooth comb -- on misted small sections of hair -- to remove all the shed hair. hth

I had terrible shedding for several years.

Are you stressed out about something? Stress causes shedding like crazy.

nizoral shampoo
taking a supplement of Evening Primrose Oil,Zinc and a Complex B VIt, maybe even some garlic.

Don't wash the hair too often.

HTH

I believe its normal to shed if you have had your hair up that long. Shedding, correct me if I am wrong, is a natural process that doesn't need to be stopped. Your hair is suppose to shed. Now if its breaking, smaller hair pieces, then that has be repaired. But if you are getting longer strands, then its shedding and as long as you continue to moisturize and seal.

Spidergul said:
Dee where do you purchase your amla oil? The indian store in my area is suspect. I think their products are old and most are expired.:(

Yes, Indian stores would have it, every bottle I have had was expired. The local Indian lady brought amla from Indian over 10 years ago in large quanities and she still uses her bottle.

I had the same problem last year, I wore braids constantly even after doing Aphogee treatments I had so much massive shedding it scared me no matter how gentle I was with my hair. Oddly enough it just stopped on its own after a month, I just continued doing my normal routine. In my case I believe it was just a lot of shedding from having my hair braided all the time withought many breaks. I never did anymore Aphogee treatments after that shedding period. My hair hardly sheds anymore.

I had the same issue a few months ago when starte relaxing after 7 years. I went to the Dermatologist and she said that I had a protein deficiency. Since i don't really eat meat. I upped my protein intake and have had very good results since.

Nope! I'm apparently pretty anemic, I went to the doctor and he put me on iron supplements.....atleast now I have an excuse to eat lots of steak ;)~

Ladies check your iron!

I've been shedding like crazy as well...I'll check up to see if it's an iron deficiency. Hopefully it stops shedding soon - I'm with you lawyer barbie :D

LawyerBarbie07 said:
Hey ya'll

I never have my hair out. I've been growing it well with weaves for almost a year now. However, I decided to give the weaves a rest for a while and I turned to Emergencee(without a cap under the dryer til its hard) to stop any shedding or breakage. I noticied that the last time I did a treatment did not help. I have long shed hairs everywhere. It seems that I can't run my fingers through my hair without it shedding. Not one or two hairs... a combful. I have never had this problem before and I am flipping out. Is it too soon to do another emergencee treatment(i just did it on Monday)? Should I just deep condition?

Any suggestions? Please help!!!!

I don't know if you are talking about nexxus emergencee, but if you are the directions said cover hair with plastic and leave on for a few minutes, I know aphogee deep protein treatment requires uncovered and let get hard not emergencee, because its important to follow directions on these products I hope that's not causing your problem, good luck chica

Oh also do a search on alter ego cren its drops you put in your scalp I've heard great things about it, I have a bottle for back up, I use it once but I didn't have a breakage problem and I didn't want to waste it since I don't have a shedding problem lol, but its there for when that day does come and I will need it, my girlfriend swears by this, its like 29. Bucks hth!

guesswho said:
Oh also do a search on alter ego cren its drops you put in your scalp I've heard great things about it, I have a bottle for back up, I use it once but I didn't have a breakage problem and I didn't want to waste it since I don't have a shedding problem lol, but its there for when that day does come and I will need it, my girlfriend swears by this, its like 29. Bucks hth!

I agree, Cren works well. I also like Motions CPR or Pantene R & N Breakage Defense Mask. Also, be sure you're drinking enough water.

Back