Severe Shedding postpartum HELP!!!

Mommynikki772

My hair grew super long during my most recent and third pregnancy. I never had my hair shed previously after a baby but this time my hair is shedding excessively. My baby is 2 months old and the shedding just started about 2 weeks ago.
I cant seem to get it to stop is there any treatment to help stop this hair from shedding and get my hair back!!! Please help ladies I feel I am going bald,bald bald!!!!

MsButterfli

i had the same thing, but at the time i had locs so my shedding/thinning showed more on my temples. Make sure to keep taking prenatals especially if your still breastfeeding. I used JBCO on my temples and it helped tremendously. I had my daughter in March and i noticed my hair changing when she turned 4 months. I didnt wanna deal with a jacked up hairline so i stopped twisting and decided to comb the locs out. HTH's :)

KhandiB

Goin through it too Girlfriend, it sucks, but thats life after baby. Your hair doesnt shed when you are pregnant, so body is just catchinh back up. Its been 5 months for me and it is slowing, but my edges look barren like a mug. But I just keep up the normal maintenance . They said it should stop by time the baby is a year, you shouldnt lose your length though.

chosen1

:perplexed I totally understand. My daughter is two and I remember it like it was yesterday. My post partum shed was more traumatizing than the actual birth. :nono: Especially since I didnt know that this happens to a lot of women. It happened right after I stopped breast feeding. I was so scared that I went to the doctor. I thought maybe I had a disease and was on my way to the upper room. He told me to take supplements like Omega 3, garlic, and prenatal vitamins. At that time I chose Shen Min as my vitamin. It worked well for me. Shen Min claims to normalize hormones to help with post partum shedding. Do your protective styles and feed your hair internally. You may want to buy some Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner too. Dont take Shen Min if you are still breast feeding use your prenatal vits.
But I will be honest, the shedding is going to happen.:wallbash: Your hair was in an extending resting periond during your pregnancy due to harmones. That's why I had very long hair when I was pregnant. Which I cut to a Halle Berry hairdo do to shedding frustration. Your hair in that extended resting phase needs to shed so new hair can come in. But dont cut your hair. I cut mine because I didnt know too much about hair care.

Just keep telling yourself that it's just a phase and that it will be ok. Because it will. :yep:

Last edited:

Mommynikki772

I feel better already thanks for the support ladies. I was skimping on those prenatals which I will resume today as well as doing some of the posted advice tips. Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey chin up. I'm going through the same thing now - my temples are gone with the wind!! My baby is 4 mths and this happened with my first pregnancy as well. The shedding usually start anytime nearing 3 mths after baby's birth. Nothing you can do but the advice given above. Make sure your iron level is okay too.

nappytherapy

I am painfully going through this right now and it is making me depressed. Last night I washed my hair, and it was a disaster. I only detangled with my fingers and I had hair coming out the ying yang. After I finished washing, I plopped and started twisting when I looked in the mirror, I realized there is a bald spot on the top of my head, its small, but if you come close enough you can see it, yeah I am devastated.

Not sure what to do, but try not to worry.

Sorry I am not too much help...

mariofmagdal

I feel you, my hair took forever to get back to normal after my daughter!

I had/have no remedy, it's just part of the cycle. Of course I continued with my supplements and all, it was just horrible. :nono:

sugarwater

Don't know much about postpartum but try adding garlic powder or a galic treatment to you conditioner. That usually helps with shedding

Mrs. Verde

I'm 3 months postpartum. My shedding started 3 weeks ago. Try garlic supplements and garlic conditioner. Someone one the board also said rinsing your hair in coffee (cold) helps shedding. Good luck!

Lei*Lei

Hmmmm, i don't know.

I get all my shedding DURING pregnancy LOL

I agree with continuing your prrenatals though.

Mz.MoMo5235

Not all women do. I didn't experience any post partum shedding after I gave birth to my son.

oh... i dunno, i'm scared now. i might have to put this whole baby thing on hold lol between stretch marks, pushing out a big ole head, worrying about being a good mommy, and now my hair might fall out... this is serious!! :crying3:

exoticmommie

Garlic pills, garlic pills, garlic pills. That is what drastically slowed mine down. I just wish I would have started taking them as soon as I had the baby...

Mz.MoMo5235

Garlic pills, garlic pills, garlic pills. That is what drastically slowed mine down. I just wish I would have started taking them as soon as I had the baby...

why couldnt you??? and can you not take garlic pills while you're still preggers? does it hurt the baby???:perplexed

Mrs. Verde

why couldnt you??? and can you not take garlic pills while you're still preggers? does it hurt the baby???:perplexed

I researched this topic when I was pregnant. Here's what I found. Keep in mind to stop shedding you probably need to take a lot of garlic:
Garlic is likely safe during pregnancy in amounts usually eaten in food, based on historical use. However, garlic supplements or large amounts of garlic should be avoided during pregnancy due to a possible increased risk of bleeding. In addition, early animal studies suggest that garlic may cause contraction of the uterus. Many tinctures contain high levels of alcohol, and should be avoided during pregnancy.
Garlic is likely safe during breastfeeding in amounts usually eaten in food, based on historical use. However, some mothers who take garlic supplements report increased nursing time, milk odor, and reduced feeding by the infant. The safety of garlic supplements during breastfeeding is not known.

Mz.MoMo5235

I researched this topic when I was pregnant. Here's what I found. Keep in mind to stop shedding you probably need to take a lot of garlic:
Garlic is likely safe during pregnancy in amounts usually eaten in food, based on historical use. However, garlic supplements or large amounts of garlic should be avoided during pregnancy due to a possible increased risk of bleeding. In addition, early animal studies suggest that garlic may cause contraction of the uterus. Many tinctures contain high levels of alcohol, and should be avoided during pregnancy.
Garlic is likely safe during breastfeeding in amounts usually eaten in food, based on historical use. However, some mothers who take garlic supplements report increased nursing time, milk odor, and reduced feeding by the infant. The safety of garlic supplements during breastfeeding is not known.

thanx... this is good to know as i'm considering getting pregos in the next yr or so... i mean i would hope my dr would mention something like that. but this way i know what not to take while i'm trying you know lol

exoticmommie

Oh no hon, I meant right after I had the baby. I didn't take any thing but my prenatals and whatever else the doctor prescribed while pregnant.