Shedding and breakage

Kawaii1

Piggy backing off the "how many hairs do you shed daily" thread,what is the real difference between shedding and breakage? Is it breakage if it is little hairs? Does shedding just consist of long hairs?

When I check for breakage/shedding I usually run my fingers through or when it is pulled back I will pull on the ends softly to see if any comes out. Normally when I slid my fingers over the ends a few short hairs come out. Should I be concerned or is this normal stuff?

FlawedBeauty

hi!

your hair naturally sheds like 100 strands per day i think, someone please correct me if im wrong because i cant recall the exact number :) but you can tell the shed hairs because they will have the root attacted to the end which is seen as a little white bulb at the end of the hair. any hairs that u notice with out the bulbs attached is breakage. the few short hairs you see are most likely breakage.

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
Should I be concerned with this breakage or is this normal?

Breakage suggest that you need a little more protein in your diet or regimen. Yes, you should be concerned about this, as it could get worse if it goes unattended for a while. However, I wouldn't stress myself out about it. It's better to take care of it now than wait until it gets worse. Have you tried a mild to moderate protein treatment lately? It may help to curb your breakage if you're experiencing more than you'd like to see. Also, do a search for Sistaslick. She's a member here and has the most wonderful and helpful advice when it comes to breakage/shedding, and protein/moisture. She has a few articles posted about these topics. You should check them out. ~HTH~