Self Braiders/Twisters, share your tips here!

preciousjewel76

Man, you don't play, Nonie! I'd be nervous about dunking my head in anything. With my clumsy behind, I'd probably wind up drowning myself.:lachen:

I like the idea of doing an ACV rinse to remove buildup at the base of the braid, though...:scratchch

scarcity21

preciousjewel76 said:
I received the infamous "Braids by Breslin" DVD and watched most of it last night. I really want to learn how to do my own kinky twists (thanks to LondonDiva and sareca!:) ) & cornrows. I hope to do a modified version of the Crown & Glory method. Also, I've never had braids before, so it would be a nice styling option.

So, those of you who do your own braids or twists, would you mind sharing your tips for us new to the braiding world? For example, what types of hair would you recommend for kinky twists?
For kinky twists, ive used synthetic 100% kanekalon...dont rem the exact name...just make sure when u buy it,,,that it is braiding hair and not weave-in hair.

How often do you wash your twists?
once a week
What braid spray do you recommend?
i use parnevu tea trea braid spray mixed with rose water, a little NTM deep CON and scurl
How long did it take you to braid/twist your hair?
about 8-9hrs

Happy braiding, ladies!

(P.S. - Hope this helps, crlsweetie!)

preciousjewel76

scarcity21[B said:
For kinky twists, ive used synthetic 100% kanekalon...dont rem the exact name...just make sure when u buy it,,,that it is braiding hair and not weave-in hair.[/B]

You didn't use the afro kinky hair? I read somewhere (other hair board or the Breslin site) that kanekalon is too "soft" for kinky twists. I was thinking about ordering the Janet Collection Afro twist bulk hair (I've only seen it online, at Hairsisters). Some of the Marley braid hair I've seen in stores looks a little suspect.

gelati

I just did mine last week(Friday), I did kinky twist and it took me off and on about two days.:eek: I had to stop to cook,clean, check on the children but finally I got done!!!!:lol: I used the Bob Marley 100% Kankalon and I plaited down a good bit because my hair is getting longer and for it to stay in. I have to plait it down more and then start twisting. I rod the ends up and dip them in boiling hot water. My twist are so cute my husband fussed at me because I made him get my hair done for my birthday in February. He said I should of did my own hair like I've been doing. This time I used color and he really loves it!!!!:love: I've been doing my own hair for 7 years so I'm pretty good at it. I wash and conditioner my twist every week and follow the Crown & Glory Method as fas as moisturizing. I would love to show pictures because I took some with my Cell phone but I don't know how to post them.:ohwell:

crlsweetie912

preciousjewel76 said:
You didn't use the afro kinky hair? I read somewhere (other hair board or the Breslin site) that kanekalon is too "soft" for kinky twists. I was thinking about ordering the Janet Collection Afro twist bulk hair (I've only seen it online, at Hairsisters). Some of the Marley braid hair I've seen in stores looks a little suspect.

Precious, when I experimented with mine, I used the Marley and using the tips from Sareca in the other thread, they turned out nice. I only did 3 or 4 though, for practice and took them out. I might try going for it this weekend.

preciousjewel76

gelati said:
I wash and conditioner my twist every week and follow the Crown & Glory Method as fas as moisturizing.

Can you share some details about how you wash & condition your braids? This is the part I'm really trying to nail down. I can't NOT wash & condition my hair, braided or not!

Do you use diluted shampoo and conditioner? Do you use heat? How do you cleanse your scalp with the shampoo without disturbing your braids? What moisturizer do you use?

(Yes, I like details):lol:

preciousjewel76

crlsweetie912 said:
Precious, when I experimented with mine, I used the Marley and using the tips from Sareca in the other thread, they turned out nice. I only did 3 or 4 though, for practice and took them out. I might try going for it this weekend.

Cool, thanks! I was going to pick up a pack of this for practicing this weekend myself. Did you soak the hair in vinegar to remove the alkaline base? Some folks do it, others don't (I was planning to do this).

crlsweetie912

I didn't see anything about soaking in the Breslin video so I did not. That's what Robin suggests right? Then don't you have to dry the hair too? I could never see braiding or twisting wet hair.

preciousjewel76

crlsweetie912 said:
I didn't see anything about soaking in the Breslin video so I did not. That's what Robin suggests right? Then don't you have to dry the hair too? I could never see braiding or twisting wet hair.

Yeah, the Breslin DVD doesn't mention it (or talk about braid maintenance, either - definitely a shortcoming:ohwell:). But yes, Robin demonstrates it in her braid video. You soak the hair in a sink full of warm water with 1 cup of vinegar added. Soak for 15 minutes, until you see a white film floating on the water. That's the alkaline base used to treat the synthetic hair. Remove the hair, rinse well, and let air dry. Then, spray with braid spray before adding it to your own hair.

crlsweetie912

Yeah, I remember watching that awhile ago. I am too lazy to do that extra step. That would add another day to the process. That's just me.

preciousjewel76

crlsweetie912 said:
Yeah, I remember watching that awhile ago. I am too lazy to do that extra step. That would add another day to the process. That's just me.

It's optional, I guess, but I'm going to do it because I've never had braid extensions, and I'm worried about the synthetic hair causing damage to my own hair. That alkaline base can affect the pH of your own hair. I spent too much time & effort getting my hair in decent shape to have it sucked dry by some kanekalon!:lachen: I plan to be extra cautious!:lol:

LondonDiva

preciousjewel76 said:
That helps a bunch LD. Thanks! Your washing regimen makes sense.

Do you use a "hair strengthener" like Robin advises? I'm not really crazy about the ingredients in Infusium 23, but I do want to throw a protein treatment in with my braid spray mixture. I was thinking about mixing in some of the Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer (pictured below) with my moisture spritz.

I personally don't know. I spritz twice a day so that would probably be overkill and lead to being brittle. The braid sheen is enough. with the profectiv on the hair plus the spray it's enough, it may not seems it but when the hair taken out it's very moist. I really don't pay it too much mind in all honesty, I braid it up and leave it alone. When I fussed that's when I found the hair wasn't thriving like it should. I just keep it simple. Boundless Tresses on scalp, braid spray on hair, that's it.

LondonDiva

preciousjewel76 said:

Don't believe everything you read. That's in my hair now. It's the best I've used.

LondonDiva

preciousjewel76 said:
It's optional, I guess, but I'm going to do it because I've never had braid extensions, and I'm worried about the synthetic hair causing damage to my own hair. That alkaline base can affect the pH of your own hair. I spent too much time & effort getting my hair in decent shape to have it sucked dry by some kanekalon!:lachen: I plan to be extra cautious!:lol:

I used to wash it when i used regular bulk kanekalon, but don't anymore. It did nothing to my hair. When twisted or braided it hold moisture really well as long as you spray it regularly you'll see when you remove the braids.

preciousjewel76

LondonDiva said:
Don't believe everything you read. That's in my hair now. It's the best I've used.

I should have clarified, I read that using kanekalon "braid hair" (straight hair) was too soft for use with twists. I was planning on using a kanekalon afro kinky textured hair - this is what you used, right?

gelati

preciousjewel76 said:
Can you share some details about how you wash & condition your braids? This is the part I'm really trying to nail down. I can't NOT wash & condition my hair, braided or not!

Do you use diluted shampoo and conditioner? Do you use heat? How do you cleanse your scalp with the shampoo without disturbing your braids? What moisturizer do you use?

(Yes, I like details):lol:

I use diluted shampoo and conditioner, I don't use heat. I put my twist in 4 ponytails and put the diluted shampoo in a bottle and pour it over my head. Then I massage the shampoo on my scalp and the solution will run down the hair. Next I rinse it out and do the same with the diluted conditioner, then I dry with a towel. I moisturize with African Royale mixed with a leave-in conditioner and WGO.

mscocoface

preciousjewel76 said:
Which one does she use? I couldn't tell the brand of it by watching the video. I currently have a big jar of the Fantasia IC gel, which is alcohol free.

Also, do you think gel is necessary for kinky twists? That's the style I hope to try soon. I would think the kinky synthetic hair wouldn't really need anything to help it "hold", vs. the kanekalon braid hair.

The brand of gel she us is called ECO Styler (Maximum Hold). I got a 32oz for 2.99. You can use it for synthetic or natural hair.

It leaves the hair soft, no flakes or stickiness.

TemiLnd

I’ve been braiding my hair for years but only started self braiding recently. In the past I never used to wash my braids until they came out – 4/6 weeks and my hair was fine. All I put on it back then was braid spray for itchy scalp. Later I decided to wash my hair in braids even b4 I found Robin’s site. This just made me realise that you have to try a number of things to find what works for you.
Now I was my hair in braids 2/3 days. Im getting tree braids on Sunday and I don’t plan on washing that while its in for the 3 weeks.
Try to do what works for you now and just adapt it to braids.

preciousjewel76

TemiLnd said:
Try to do what works for you now and just adapt it to braids.

That's good advice.:yep: Since I've never worn braids, I know I'll have to experiment to find the right braid regimen for me. But I'll start off by treating them as I do my own hair, and following the C&G method.

This thread has already helped me immensely. Thanks for all of your tips ladies! Keep 'em coming!:D

TemiLnd

preciousjewel76 said:
This thread has already helped me immensely. Thanks for all of your tips ladies! Keep 'em coming!:D

You are welcome. I find that the simplest regimen works best when im in braids. Its protective but u still have to be careful with over manipulation.
You look like you have nice, healthy hair, don’t let braids change that. The key is to maintain that even in braids. Also taking your braids out is very important. Be gentle and DEEP CON after they come out.!!!

preciousjewel76

I'm calling out Sareca. You use the Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin as your "hair strengthener" in your braid spray...what's your ratio of the reconstructor to the braid spray? I think I'd prefer to use that instead of Infusium.

cutiebe2

also...soak your hair with conditioner when you are taking out the braids. I cover each braid in conditioner and then take them out..this cuts down on breakage soooooo much. I forget who told me to do this but I did it with my last set of braids and I had half the amount of shedding/breakage I usually do

prettypuff1

can someone help me with starting the braids. I am getting them started fine, it is just they are too low. I dont want them tight, but just up a little closer to the scalp.. help

sareca

preciousjewel76 said:
I'm calling out Sareca. You use the Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin as your "hair strengthener" in your braid spray...what's your ratio of the reconstructor to the braid spray? I think I'd prefer to use that instead of Infusium.

Usually I do 1/2 and 1/2. Every week I takedown a couple twists to evaluate my hair. If it seems mushy I add more, if it seem a little dry I add more moisturizer or leave out the strengthener for that week.

preciousjewel76

sareca said:
Usually I do 1/2 and 1/2. Every week I takedown a couple twists to evaluate my hair. If it seems mushy I add more, if it seem a little dry I add more moisturizer or leave out the strengthener for that week.

Thanks! I've started using the Aphogee Green Tea on my currently unbraided hair after every wash, to see how my hair likes it. So far, so good.

sareca

preciousjewel76 said:
Thanks! I've started using the Aphogee Green Tea on my currently unbraided hair after every wash, to see how my hair likes it. So far, so good.

Yeah it's always good to test the products on your hair when it's unbraided. Occasionally I decided to risk it, but that's not the norm. :nono:

Here's my new album link. I might try to make a video using my camera phone. :think:
http://public.fotki.com/serica/hair-to-stay/misc/test/