Self Braiders/Twisters, share your tips here!

crlsweetie912

EMJazzy said:
That would probably explain why even tho I'd have length my hair would split terribly all those years I was wearing my hair braided. I never soaked the alkaline off prior to braiding my hair, not even with the set of braids I'm wearing now. :wallbash: I'm currently using human hair, does that make a difference? :confused:
All the tutorials that I have seen where the hair is soaked first were for synthetic hair. I am unsure about the human hair. Check the growafrohairlong.website and check that video. I have never watched it with the sound on and I am at work. Check and see if she says anything about human hair. HTH.

preciousjewel76

crlsweetie912 said:
All the tutorials that I have seen where the hair is soaked first were for synthetic hair. I am unsure about the human hair. Check the growafrohairlong.website and check that video. I have never watched it with the sound on and I am at work. Check and see if she says anything about human hair. HTH.

I watched Robin's braiding video several weeks ago, and from what I recall, she only discusses soaking the kanekalon hair. She doesn't mention anything about human hair.

Everything Zen

Learning to braid my own hair was one of the most important things that I learned while I was in college!

I wear my hair in these braids twice a year. I use 100% Khankalon and usually have close to 250 of them in waist length and I wear them for up to 4 months. I wash every week and redo any ones that start to look frizzy as needed.

1. TAKE YOUR TIME- Whenever I decide to braid my hair, I allow three days to do it.

2. Start in the back- that's how I learned in the first place. I rebraided the ones underneath. By the time you reach the crown you'll get it down pretty good. If you make a mistake- no one will ever know!

3. Use a good leave-in and braid spray. I use African Royale Tea Tree Braid Spray and Infusium 23 leave in- mixed with water) as part of the crown and glory technique.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Thanks ladies!! I took my braids down and not surprisingly I suffered a lot of breakage. :( I'm going to try this one more time before I give up on the crown and glory method. This time I'm using Beverly Johnson's 100% Premier Synthetic Yaky Hair, and I soaked it in hot water with ACV first. I'm going to make the braids fairly large like the width of my pinky finger. I really hope it works this time. :perplexed