Self-Relaxer thinking of going to the Salon...

Hello Ladies,

I just started self-relaxing last year with Phyto II and this was the first time I ever did my own hair and has been the only relaxer I've ever used.

I'm concerned b/c although at first my hair looked great and I was SO happy that I was doing it myself for cheaper and w/o the looooong waits at the salon, now my hair is very dry and frizzy on top. This could be due to overprocessing, underprocessing, reversion, or using a no-lye (after searching thru the forums I came up w/ all these diagnosises).

Anyways just wondering if anyone else found that they were better off going to the salon or maybe I'm giving up too fast? Anyone have problems with Phyto and either reversion/or extremely dry hair?

Thanks!

blackbarbie

I so wish I could self relax!! I would say if your hair was looking good at first, then you were doing something right. It just seems that somewhere along the way, something went awry. Before giving up and going to the salon (they may tell you that you were doing EVERYTHING wrong; read the "Stupidest Things That Hairdressers Have Said" thread), try reading through some more of the posts and maybe come up with a more specific question to post and someone here maybe be able to pinpoint your problem and help you.

Good Luck!

MizaniMami

jackie1277 said:
Hello Ladies,

I just started self-relaxing last year with Phyto II and this was the first time I ever did my own hair and has been the only relaxer I've ever used.

I'm concerned b/c although at first my hair looked great and I was SO happy that I was doing it myself for cheaper and w/o the looooong waits at the salon, now my hair is very dry and frizzy on top. This could be due to overprocessing, underprocessing, reversion, or using a no-lye (after searching thru the forums I came up w/ all these diagnosises).

Anyways just wondering if anyone else found that they were better off going to the salon or maybe I'm giving up too fast? Anyone have problems with Phyto and either reversion/or extremely dry hair?

Thanks!

When I first read the post I was thinking that your hair is probably not liking no-lye. Everyone here says that no-lye is good as long as you use good products and keep your hair moisturized. I don't know what else to say. But I hope someone else can chime in to help you.

Thanks!

I appreciate the responses. I will look up that thread RIGHT now.

And that's what I"m wondering too, if its the no-lye, so I'm glad that was your first thought. I feel like in the beginning my regimen was really simple but the more i read this website the more ideas I get and so I just keep trying different things, but I just can't imagine that that is what is making my hair like a brillo pad.

For instance on monday I did an ACV rinse, Nexxus Therappe shampoo, ORS and Humecto deep condition, moisturzied afterwards. Hair as try as anything, then went back and did conditioner wash on Tuesday/today used PM the detangler, still hair SO dry.

Thanks again for the support

NeeSee

Jackie I am. Matter of fact I self-relaxed last Tuesday and the only reason that I didn't got to the salon is because I couldn't get there on the day that I had available. She wasn't coming in her shop that day. For me, my hair just fair better when I allow a beautician to do my chemical services. So when it's time for my next touch-up I plan to go to her then.

Princess Pie

jackie1277 said:

Thanks!

Are you using the Milky Reconstructor in the kit? I love Phyto, but that reconstructor made my hair feel like brillo. People were telling me how pretty my hair looked, but it felt very rough and I couldn't comb it. I had to deep condition 4 times to get my hair back to "normal." Now, I just use any conditioner I have under my sink, instead of the milky reconstructor. Problem solved (for me anyway).:)

Yes, I'm thinking maybe not everybody can do self-relaxing or at least I need to have a professional do it for now anyways. I'm not that experienced with it.

Princess Pie,

Actually I love the milky reconstructor, I've never had any problems with it, as a matter of fact I was looking for it to use on a regular basis if I could, b/c that seems to work so well on my hair. Why does everything have to be such a mystery? :)

Princess Pie

jackie1277 said:
Yes, I'm thinking maybe not everybody can do self-relaxing or at least I need to have a professional do it for now anyways. I'm not that experienced with it.

Princess Pie,

Actually I love the milky reconstructor, I've never had any problems with it, as a matter of fact I was looking for it to use on a regular basis if I could, b/c that seems to work so well on my hair. Why does everything have to be such a mystery? :)

It was just a thought. I'm glad it works for. If you are interested, I can send you the ones I plan to throw away:lol:. I can save them up, and drop them in the mail.

Self-relaxing can challenging. I hate going to salons, so I get my mom to help me apply the relaxer. I don't know what I would do without her.

deborah11

jackie1277 said:
Hello Ladies,

Thanks!

I tried this relaxer a few years ago (3-4 yrs or so) and this was also my experience. Initially my hair looked lovely and thick and beautiful but as time when on the more dry and brittle my hair became. I simply could not get the moisture level right and it was so dry. The dryness also begin to cause hair breakage problems. I stopped using the phyto and the problem was eventually resolved. No lye and calcium hydroxide relaxers just delete my hair of all moisture. They simply do not work for my hair. Maybe you should try another relaxer, one that contains lye. Hope this helps.

jasmin

deborah11 said:
I tried this relaxer a few years ago (3-4 yrs or so) and this was also my experience. Initially my hair looked lovely and thick and beautiful but as time when on the more dry and brittle my hair became. I simply could not get the moisture level right and it was so dry. The dryness also begin to cause hair breakage problems. I stopped using the phyto and the problem was eventually resolved. No lye and calcium hydroxide relaxers just delete my hair of all moisture. They simply do not work for my hair. Maybe you should try another relaxer, one that contains lye. Hope this helps.

My exact same story. I was loving the phyto but eventually my hair said no so I had to switch to lye and I'm starting to love my hair again. I pretty much had to start over.

Jasmin and Deborah11,

Thank you so much!! That's JUST what I needed to hear! I have a few questions if you don't mind.

What lye-relaxers are you using now?
Where you able to get a lye relaxer that gave you the same results as PhytoII (that same fullness, no burning, etc)?
Do you still self-relax or go to a salon?
Are there any problems that I should know about as far as now switching over to a lye-relaxer, when previously using a no-lye?
Is there anyway to salvage or correct the old no-lye relaxed hair?
Do either of you texlax or texturize at all?

Thanks! If i don't hear from you I will just hunt you down and send you guys a pm. hahaha.

I'm happy now. ;)

jasmin

1)What lye-relaxers are you using now?

I finally found something gentle but straightens my hair....Silk Elements Lye... I love this relaxer. It gets it straight but I actually would like it to get even straighter but that's just me. My last touch up I based just the front and not the back. I felt absolutely no burning. I will not be basing the next time. I will only put the base around the edges.

2)Where you able to get a lye relaxer that gave you the same results as PhytoII (that same fullness, no burning, etc)?

Yes and there was no burning at all

3)Do you still self-relax or go to a salon?

I can't imagine going back to the salon even through trial and error which I had from switching to lye

4)Are there any problems that I should know about as far as now switching over to a lye-relaxer, when previously using a no-lye?

I did have some breakage. I had to somewhat start over because my hair was so dry. When I had phyto I couldn't buy moisture. I was so jealous of the other phyto users because I wanted it to work for me. You will probably notice the different textures until you completely get rid of the no lye hair.

5)Is there anyway to salvage or correct the old no-lye relaxed hair?

For the most part I just do the new growth and just trim off the lye a little here and there.

6)Do either of you texlax or texturize at all?

I'm looking for the straight look.

deborah11

jackie1277 said:
Jasmin and Deborah11,

Thank you so much!! That's JUST what I needed to hear! I have a few questions if you don't mind.

What lye-relaxers are you using now?
Where you able to get a lye relaxer that gave you the same results as PhytoII (that same fullness, no burning, etc)?
Do you still self-relax or go to a salon?
Are there any problems that I should know about as far as now switching over to a lye-relaxer, when previously using a no-lye?
Is there anyway to salvage or correct the old no-lye relaxed hair?
Do either of you texlax or texturize at all?

Thanks! If i don't hear from you I will just hunt you down and send you guys a pm. hahaha.

I'm happy now. ;)

I am now using the Design Essentials Relaxer, mild.

I am now a self relaxer and even with the underprocessing issues as I am gradually learning how to self relax and obviously it has been trial and error for me. As a new self relaxer, my relaxer results are not perfect but my hair has not broken off or fallen out. When I went to the professionals, my hair always broke off after relaxer and I had just had enuf. For me, I plan on continuing to self relax until I get it right. My hair is texturized and not relaxed bone straight as I hate bone straight hair.

Now as for the phyto experience, the lye relaxer helped to alleviate some of the problem in terms of the new growth. However the old phyto hair continued to be more dry and had an odd/wierd brownish color that was not consistent with the new growth. I hated it. I transitioned for 20 months and than I went to a stylist for a texturizer. If you look in my foti, you will see some of the styles I used to transition. I now anticipate that I will stretch my relaxer for 4-6 months. My last stretch was 9 months. I love the DE relaxer because it doesn't burn and the hair still has some body. I hope this info helps. good luck to u!

deborah11

deborah11 said:
I am now using the Design Essentials Relaxer, mild.

I am now a self relaxer and even with the underprocessing issues as I am gradually learning how to self relax and obviously it has been trial and error for me. As a new self relaxer, my relaxer results are not perfect but my hair has not broken off or fallen out. When I went to the professionals, my hair always broke off after relaxer and I had just had enuf. For me, I plan on continuing to self relax until I get it right. My hair is texturized and not relaxed bone straight as I hate bone straight hair.

Now as for the phyto experience, the lye relaxer helped to alleviate some of the problem in terms of the new growth. However the old phyto hair continued to be more dry and had an odd/wierd brownish color that was not consistent with the new growth. I hated it. I transitioned for 20 months and than I went to a stylist for a texturizer. If you look in my foti, you will see some of the styles I used to transition. I now anticipate that I will stretch my relaxer for 4-6 months. My last stretch was 9 months. I love the DE relaxer because it doesn't burn and the hair still has some body. I hope this info helps. good luck to u!

Oh, I meant to also tell you that I gradually cut off the phyto ends while transitioning until I finally had 8-11 inches of new, healthy hair before relaxing again. I didn't really have nay problems with making the transition from no lye to a lye based relaxer. The first couple of relaxer where fine but than the stylist overprocessed my hair during the 3rd relaxer and I had major damage and breakage . My hair was a mess! This along with the Phyto damage forced me to transition to grow a new head of hair.

caribeandiva

Human being
i'm thinking of going to the salon to get my relaxers done so i can have bone straight hair and trim at the same time.