Self Relaxers and Phyto users...get in here!

ThursdayGirl

Questions for you guys:

I am considering self-relaxing this time. Currently, I am getting a Mizani regular put in, but I think I want to try doing my own touchup. If you use lye relaxers and you self relax...what do you use? Where do you purchase it?

If you're using Phyto, have you used other no-lyes in the past? Did you hair do better with the phyto? My Mom used to put Dark n' Lovely in my hair and it was just as dry and not as manageable as it is now. I'm debating jumping on the phyto-wagon... If my hair is going to be as damaged as it was with Dark n' Lovely, I will have to reconsider.

Thanks for your time ladies! :notworthy I look forward to your answers!

Boadicea

I relax at home and use Profectiv Anti-Breakage No-Lye and it's really gentle on both the hair and the scalp. I've tried other No-Lye relaxers that broke my hair off and gave me scalp burns, flaky scalp, you name it. With Profectiv, I don't get any of that.

I've previously used Designer's Touch Lye for years and thought that if I switched to No-Lye, I could kiss the health of my hair good bye, but that wasn't the case.

I have a review of the Profectiv relaxer if you want, I can pull it up. I know it's hardly as popular as the Phyto one, though.

KAddy

Regarding PhytoRelaxer use, here are a few comments:

Ms_Kenesha said:
can tell you that I made the switch from Lye to the Phytorelaxer w/ no adverse effects. Also, the Phytorelaxer is no-lye, but is a different chemical make up than the traditional no-lye relaxers.

I really like it and I can tell the diff in the phyto relaxed hair it's softer than the other relaxed hair. I also like the fact that my hair felt "heavy" after I relaxed it, it wasn't like the relaxer took the thickness out of my hair it just made my hair straighter.

KAddy said:
I think a lot of ladies are wondering what this "new" relaxer called PhytoRelaxer is. Let me first say that while it is not a new product on the market, it is fairly new to some of us here at LHCF. There are some ladies that have been using this relaxing system for more than a year with great results and feedback.

The PhytoRelaxer is a no-lye relaxing system that does not contain the drying agents that other no-lye relaxers contain. This is perhaps why those of us who use it love it and the softness that we experience. It contains natural ingredients that aid in the breaking down of the tightly curled texture of our hair. This relaxer has also been used by other racial/ethnic groups as well that too have experienced the similar results as us. Here is the info from the website:

PhytoRelaxer is a luxurious experience of long-lasting control, manageability and versatility. A genuine innovation from PhytoSolba Laboratories, the formula incorporates a breakthrough discovery using active ingredients from 100% natural origin: the active egg extract relaxes and smoothes, while soya offers antioxidant properties and hydration. Simultaneously, PhytoRelaxer protects the hair shaft from dehydration and minimizes scalp irritation. After the application of this exclusive high-technology relaxing complex your hair will feel and look more silky, strong and radiant.

As far as switching from lye to no-lye, I think that depends on what you prefer and what you think your hair prefers. I know that my hair prefers no-lye relaxers although I have switched back and forth for many years. My hair doesn't mind the switching although I KNOW she is happy with the PhytoRelaxer and happy I am no longer switching. I can say that the PhytoRelaxer formula is gentle, IMO. The ingredients for the relaxer are from natural sources as well:

Product: Straightening Cream
Active Ingredients 1) Egg Extract & 2) Soya Extract
Actions: 1) Smoothes and relaxes the hair & 2) Hydrates

Product: Inductor 1 or 2
Active Ingredients: Guanidine Carbonate
Actions: Boosts the relaxing actives

I have been the biggest mouth here talking about this relaxer and how great I think it is. I think that with the tones of threads here, once you do a search on PhytoRelaxer you will probably be convinced one way or the other. Most ladies though, I must warn, opt in favor of the PhytoRelaxer. So, if you don't want to spend $60 on a no-lye relaxer then I would suggest you don't read....It's very good and what we write about it, well it makes it hard to resist.

Armyqt said:
OK here we go. So my hair hasn't been combed from root to tip in about 4 days (too much new growth). So I decided to skip the basing and go straight to the relaxer. I do manage to put some Protecto on the ends and about 4in up to protect that hair. So I section my hair into 4 and start to mix the solution. Yuck!! the smell is very chemically! I start getting nervous. At this moment I reconcile with myself that if all my hair hits the floor I'd be OK going natural and move forward

The application went fairly smoothly, but the crown area was a little challenging. I started in the back and completed those 2 section before moving on to the front. I was finished with the application @ 10 minutes and decided to start smoothing. At this point I can tell the hair was not relaxed yet. Normally as soon as the relaxer hits my head my hair starts breaking down. Not so with Phyto. Although I'm not a smoother (makes my hair too flat), I realized I was gonna have to do some smoothing to help the relaxer along (didn't want underprocessing). So I smooth each section with my fingers for about 1-2 min each. At this point I'm amazed that I don't feel the slightest of tingling @ all.

After smoothing I prepare to neutralize. By the time I'm doing this the relaxer has been on for 18 min. It took SEVERAL (6) washes to get the neutralizer to turn white. I used the ENTIRE bottle. I lost an awful lot of hair during the process. This was due to normal shedding and some tangling from being bent over in the sink. Next I put on the Phyto CO and let that sit for about 5 minutes. I followed that up with Elucence MB CO for another 3 min.

Upon emerging from the shower, I apply some Lacio Lacio and NTM serum and comb through. I was gonna do a rollerset but I was too anxious so I blowdried instead. My hair is looking and feeling magnificent. Please fast forward past my meltdown and skip straight to after the big trim.

I'm amazed @ my hair. It's amazingly soft and bouncing and behaving like nobody's business. My hair has NEVER behaved like this EVER. Even after going to salons. The Phyto seems to have done major conditioning on my hair hair strands. Although I only touched up the roots, the relaxer still touches the hair during rinsing. I absolutely LOVE the results. ALso I forgot to mention. My roots are not completely straight. But that's what I want. I still have some wave left in there and that's fine by me. I will never use another relaxer.

jamelabe said:
I used the PhytoRelaxer on my hair Thursday 01/13/05 and I will no for sure in about 3 weeks but right now I'm pretty sure I will never use another brand of relaxer ever. Both my daughters needed touchups over the weekend and the oldest didn't want to wait for the PhytoRelaxer to be delivered. I should have made her wait although her hair still came out nicely because I was using Affirm. My middle daughter is going to wait for the Phyto so I gave her a domican blowout. She has such beautiful thick hair and I know the Phyto is going to do fabulous on her hair. I've gotten several compliments at work about the shine, body and how healthy my hair looks. I'm telling everyone about the PhytoRelaxer but I think the cost is turning them away. I wish I could hand them out to the ladies because I know they would be hooked. We if you're thinking about trying as I had been for quite a long time....stop thinking about and make the purchase you won't be sorry. I purchased index 2 but I probably should have gotten one. I usually use a mild relaxer but ordered index 2 because I thought by it being so natural and all the reviews about how gentle it was, I didn't think the index 1 would do much. I will order index one next time. I'm so nervous that the formula or something will change that I'm going order at least six boxes in 2-3 months and probably a box every two months to keep my supply. I usually go about four months before a retouch. Oh yes....I am a product junkie. I've gotta get a camera to post pictures for you guys. Can't post pictures of my product cause there would be talk of putting me in an institution. I'm talking too much....I'm just so happy with the PhytoRelaxer so......STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND MAKE THAT PURCHASE AND USE IT!!!

MonaLisa said:
And again....I will say it ....Phytorelaxer is the ish...I'm broke..but it was worth it to me...I have no regrets in paying the 60 bucks (even though it was a xmas gift...lol)...I have no desire to ever use another relaxer.

Sengschick said:
Now, having used the relaxer I find that at no point does my hair feel weak. I recall from past relaxing that my hair felt really fragile after processing and for the next few weeks actually. It broke more when wet etc. For some reason after I rinse the relaxer my hair feels better, healthier even. It's buttery soft and still really strong, it's like I had a conditioning treatment instead of a relaxer. The other thing I really like is that my hair always feel hydrated and I have a lot of body in my hair. It never has that permed lifeless look or feel. My other big thing is burning, every perm I ever had made me burn quickly and not once have I had any such issue w/Phyto. That alone was major for me.

KAddy

Even More:

atlantatiffany said:
i will honestly rate the phyto relaxer for u(looking for kaddy over my shoulder) just kidding. i can honestly say the phyto relaxer is the best relaxer i ever had. i really liked it because it made my hair fuller and thicker like it naturally is.

LadyChe said:
Regarding the immediate relaxation of the hair - I did experience that. As soon as the relaxer was fully applied, I pulled back my hair to smooth and BAM! It looked like it had already been flattened. I'll admit I was a bit freaked out about it, but I have never had a problem with overprocessing and this product either. I will say that after two weeks, my hair did seem to revert just a bit - but I was surging at the time, so I'm not sure which is to blame. I don't think this is a 'pin straight' product.

And I have to cosign with Kaddy on the body. Normally after relaxers my hair is soo flat, just laying there perfectly straight. With Phyto, my hair is straight, but it looks incredibly full and has lots of bounce. I hate to sound like a commercial but the best word is VIBRANT.

And also to agree with sengs - the hair just feels stronger when you're done.

Whenever I purchase it online, I keep buying two boxes out of fear that they will one day discontinue the product. At this rate, I won't have to purchase it in 2005. Dang! PJism!

MonaLisa said:
I've gone and done it! I am now officially in love with Phytorelaxer! I got my touch up done and I love it...it was a great experience... I have no desire to use any other relaxer again. I'm glad I made the switch...I kept looking at my hair in the mirror and I couldn't believe it. My hair always looks underprocessed, textrelaxed...not this time...I had to let my hair down and let it bounce when I walked in the street since the weather was mild in New York.

It really is a fabulous relaxer, no burning, no discomfort, no underprocessing, hair looks healthy and feels good. Big thumbs up ova here yo...for real...the experience was bananas...lol.

ArmyQT said:
OK here's the deal. The DRYING agent in no-lye relaxers is the calcium hydroxide. It leaves calcium deposits (buildup) on the hair shaft which forms a barrier against moisture. This element has been removed from Phyto. It's conductor is guanadine. So therefore, I think Phyto is the best of both worlds. It's easy on the scalp AND the hair. The proof is in the pudding. And I've seen it firsthand already. I remain optimistic that the quality of my hair will continue to improve with Phyto. But you know as with every other product...what works for some, doesn't work for all. It's all about finding what's best for your hair, and sometimes that means taking a chance.

Last edited:

MonaLisa

Wow...Pusha...I think that covered it on the Phyto end of things....

I was gonna suggest typing in self relaxing and Phytorelaxer in Search...but...ummm....I guess...ummm...never mind then....lol.

KAddy

MonaLisa said:
Wow...Pusha...I think that covered it on the Phyto end of things....

I was gonna suggest typing in self relaxing and Phytorelaxer in Search...but...ummm....I guess...ummm...never mind then....lol.

:lol: Yeah I figured this was good and kind of answers TG's questions regarding PhytoRelaxer

sengschick

The Bun Master
:lachen: @ Kaddy. I need to hire you :lol: . When you have a passion you are fiercely loyal and one hell of an advocate!

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Boadicea said:
I relax at home and use Profectiv Anti-Breakage No-Lye and it's really gentle on both the hair and the scalp. I've tried other No-Lye relaxers that broke my hair off and gave me scalp burns, flaky scalp, you name it. With Profectiv, I don't get any of that.

I've previously used Designer's Touch Lye for years and thought that if I switched to No-Lye, I could kiss the health of my hair good bye, but that wasn't the case.

I have a review of the Profectiv relaxer if you want, I can pull it up. I know it's hardly as popular as the Phyto one, though.

Thanks to Boadicea, I have to co-sign on the Profectiv, it was very easy to use and gentle, but yet got my hair straight (as least the parts that I didn't underprocess with my own dumbness :lol: ).

UmSumayyah

I really love phyto though I am not a fan of the milky reconstructor.
I have used African Pride and Mizani sensitive scalp in the past.

DahomeyAhosi

I self relax with phyto. I've only self-relaxed once before with some other no lye relaxer about 14 years ago! I think phyto is very gentle and safe.

sareca

I self-texturize with Phyto. When I used no-lye it made my hair flat and crunchy. The only caution I would give w/ Phyto is make sure you do a strand test. I've heard more than a few women say it didn't relax their hair at all. And I can co-sign on the milky reconstructor, that stuff does nothing. Other than that I loved it.

Last edited: