Self-Relaxers: How Many Tries Until You Got It Right?

NaiyaAi

Today, I tried self-relaxing for the third time. All three times, my hair has come out extremely underprocessed. :perplexed I used ORS no-lye regular strength, as I've always used for pretty much my entire life. After the second time failed, I paid attention to how my stylist does it, and I noticed that she left the relaxer on my hair for much longer than the recommended time. Thinking that this was the problem, my total application/smoothing time was about 35 minutes today, but the result was the same. The problem is that my roots always look straight before I rinse out the relaxer, but then once my hair is dry, I notice that there really hasn't been any change. I really, really want to get the hang of this, but I'm all out of ideas as to what I'm doing wrong.

I'm going to keep trying until I successfully relax my hair, but it definitely gets more frustrating every time this doesn't work.

Misseyl

The first couple of times I relaxed my hair it did come out under-processed but I believe it's your technique. I relaxed my hair a couple of days ago and it took me approximately 16 minutes to apply and smooth. You need to apply the relaxer all over the head at first then go back and do the smoothing. I find that some people apply and smooth at the same time, that does not work, you apply all over then go back and smooth where you apply the relaxer first.

ScorpioLove

this is my second time trying.. nd my hair is still a mess of textures.
last july by a stylist- (just for me texture softner) one half of my hair was not processed at all, the other side was pretty straight except for the underprocessed middle

jan- me using ors lye.. i cud have just saved my time because it was so underprocessed

yesterday -me-(organics no lye relaxer) i got my roots silky straight -not anticipated considering i put alot of evoo, castor oil and cacao butter
now i have silky roots and 14 months worth of underprocessed hair with straight ends..:nono: yeah i wont be wearing my hair out unless i flat iron and all looks even

at some point i have to correct the mess.

they say third time is a charm :rolleyes:

BadMamaJama

My last touch up was the best one ever! I use Dark and Lovely and I added a spoonful of Safflower oil. It slowed it down and allowed me to take my time putting the relaxer in. I also started in the middle of my hair where it's coarsest. Usually I'm rushing to put the relaxer and I'm a bit freaked out, but this time I had more than enough time to get everything done.
And I'm not an expert and I don't want to be mean, but I'm kind of thinking that if you have to leave a relaxer in for 35 mins, it might not be the right relaxer for your hair.

la mosca

It took me several tries to get it right, and I had issues similar to what you're describing. The key discovery I made was that I wasn't smoothing properly, and smoothing is critical to the outcome. Now I spend the bulk of my time smoothing in an extremely thorough manner, and I get a nice result.

nerdography

I've self-relaxed twice and both times I under processed. I think the next time I relax I'll leave it on longer.

What are you guy using to smooth? I've been using my hands, and that works on the front, but not the back. Should I use a comb?

Cheekychica

My stylist used both her hands and a comb to smooth. She separated my hair into four sections and smoothed by hand. Then she went through each section with the back of her rat tail comb.

I'd like to hear more responses because I will be self-relaxing next time.

Question: For those who do the half/half method- does it matter if the other half gets wet when you're rinsing out the 1st half? Does your hair being wet/damp interfere with the application time/process for the 2nd half?

I've always wondered about that because I'm not sure how I would rinse without getting the other part of my hair at least partially wet.

Americka

nerdography said:
I've self-relaxed twice and both times I under processed. I think the next time I relax I'll leave it on longer.

What are you guy using to smooth? I've been using my hands, and that works on the front, but not the back. Should I use a comb?

I use a tool called a sprush. It is shaped like a rat tail comb, except there is a flat rubber section where the teeth should be. Works well for me. Some people use the back of a flat comb and I remember an old member used tongue depressors.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

sunnieb

I got it right the very first time! :) Here's how:

*I read and researched every self-relaxing thread on LHCF for six months.

*The last few times I went to my stylist, I watched her like a hawk. How did she apply the relaxer? How much did she use? How big did she make the parts?

*I read and researched every self-relaxing thread on LHCF again.

*I read these articles until I could almost recite them verbatim:

http://voices.yahoo.com/getting-ready-relax-preparing-hair-relaxer-393837.html?cat=69

http://shine.yahoo.com/8-common-chemical-relaxer-mistakes-self-relaxers-175100577.html

http://voices.yahoo.com/benefits-midrelaxer-protein-6545488.html

*I read and researched all the self-relaxing threads on LHCF again to make sure I was comfortable with the entire process.

*I printed everything out and put in a self-relaxing file.

*I then wrote out a plan of each step that I was going to take.

*I was so prepared that I actually dreamed about self-relaxing the night before I did it! :spinning:

Here's my fotki album with pics of when I self-relaxed the first time:

http://public.fotki.com/sunnieb/how-i-self-relax-2011/how-i-self-relax/

It CAN be done! If I can do it, ANYBODY can! :yep:

bklynbornNbred

NaiyaAi I don't know if they changed the formula but I personally have not been able to get a straight relaxer with ORS-regular for a while now. I know its popular on here to let relaxers sit longer but IMO if the regular isn't giving you good results with your stylist using it you need to up to super. The fact that she is leaving a relaxer on your head for that long tells me its the wrong strength for you. Relaxers are not meant to sit on your head for 35 minutes. I've upped to super apply in the time alloted and have been very happy with my results.

I agree with advice to get a sprush and then practice applying deep conditioner to your hair as if you were doing the relaxer. Divide your head into 4 have everything laid out that you will need - check and double check set your timer (or watch time) and then go. Apply and then smooth. Do it everytime you put conditioner in your hair until you get the timing down. Unless you have extremely long hair you can get the relaxer in and smoothed out in the time stated on the box.

Since you have underprocessed hair you'll have to do a "corrective" which means after you have the relaxer in you'll smooth it down on the length of your hair (normally that is a no no) for the last few minutes. (So if it takes you 15 minutes to apply and smooth out the roots in four sections you'd then smooth-stretch out the relaxer with a little more (this is not the time to be heavy handed) onto the length of your hair leave for 5 minutes then rinse it all out. You're not doing this to ALL of your hair just the perviously relaxed area that was underprocessed. Make sure you use the neutralizing shampoo at least 3 times to get it all out.

I hope this helps. Keep your hair in low maintenance styles (roller sets or braid outs) until its time to redo. In the meantime practice practice practice with conditioner. If you find that you can't do it then find another stylist.

sunnieb

bklynbornNbred - Very excellent points!

Box relaxers don't work well with my hair. That was another step in successful self-relaxing - using quality relaxer for YOUR hair.

For some, box relaxers work just fine. However, my hair laughs and those things! I have to use salon quality relaxer for it to work. Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp is right for me. I've never under-processed using that relaxer.

WaistLengthDreams

By the third attempt, I had gotten the hang of self-relaxing and I've been self relaxing for the last three years.

My Tips/techniques for self-relaxing without underprocessing:
-Part the hair into Small sections.
-Apply the relaxer on top of the section and on the underside of it as well.
-Be generous with the amount of relaxer that you apply to the section (it should kind of "bleed" through the section of hair).
-Move quickly but still be neat.
-Go back through the hair and smooth with a spatula type tool.
-Do spot checks to make sure that you didn't miss any spots (if you make horizontal to apply the relaxer, then make vertical parts to check).

LdyKamz

I want to give self relaxing a try but I am sooooo nervous about underprocessing. @sunnieb, just like you I have read those threads too over and over and I am still chicken! How do you avoid underproccessing? It is such a fine line between that and burning.

Also, what about the mid-protein step. If I do this am I still supposed to do the reconstructor at the end?

Edit: my computer freaked out and didn't let me post my whole comment. :lol:

Last edited:

sunnieb

I want to give self relaxing a try but I am sooooo nervous about underprocessing. @sunnieb, just like you I have read those threads too over and over and I am still chicken! How do you avoid underproccessing? It is such a fine line between that and burning.

Also, what about the mid-protein step. If I do this am I still supposed to do the reconstructor at the end?

Edit: my computer freaked out and didn't let me post my whole comment. :lol:

KammyGirl - I think I never underprocess because of the following:

*I use clarifying shampoo weekly, so I don't have product buildup

*I pre-section my hair so I can apply the relaxer quickly and allows me to have ample processing/smoothing time

*I use the right amount of relaxer (almost 2 tubs). Don't skimp on the relaxer cream! :) - When I went to a salon, she only used 1 tub! :nono:

*I let the relaxer process for the maximum amount of time for my hair type according to the directions (18-20 min). However, I never burn.

I'm relaxing this Friday and I can't wait! :grin:

lustrous

several times. smoothing was my problem when it came to underprocessing. I now apply the relaxer liberally and smooth with the back of a comb. I use the back of the comb like one of those things you wipe your windshield with (with the rubber flap) - i press down and drag until the hair is smooth. I also slow the process down with 2tbs of EVOO. You'll get it right with time. it's very freeing to be able to self-relax.