Self Relaxers: What do you use to apply the relaxer to your hair?

outspokenwallflower

I know there are different methods of applying relaxer, but I was wondering what the most successful tool to use to apply to your hair is. I've used my hands in one instance and I've used the back of the head of a comb most times...What do you ladies use? Hand? Comb? Brush? Just wanna know what might be most effective in terms of getting to all the spots but still make self relaxing easy and quick. :)

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Hmm, I think this info can be found in the self relaxing support thread. I'd also like to know too.

prisytomboy

I burn easily so, I "sloppy-slap" it on with my fingers...everytime I try to use the applicator brush....I be on FIRE!!!!

prisy running through the house, dog has her head cocked to the said thinking "mom don lost her mind again!" :lachen:

I need to start basing my edges and scalp....I've never....I know I know :hide: will also start looking for something to coat my relaxed hair.

Have a wonderful day ladies!

goodmorningruby

I usually use my fingers with gloves, but a recent thread brought attention to those who relax without gloves, like shunemite. I'm scared to not use gloves, but I am curious and will probably be trying it in January in conjunction with the back of a fine toothed comb.

Dacia38

I use the application brush. I also coat my scalp and the hair that is already relaxed with grease. Any kind of grease will do the job.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I use my fingers and no gloves. I know, bad on the nails but what can you do. I like to feel the new growth.

I tried a brush once and will never do that again because I had no clue how to get it on the new growth only because I can't see my whole head. But with your fingers you can feel so it's no problem.

Esq.2B

A comb or my fingers or the applicator stick or a combination of the three. :lol:

I think I'm going to get the 'gloves in the bottle' that a poster posted about recently though.

prisytomboy

A comb or my fingers or the applicator stick or a combination of the three. :lol:

I think I'm going to get the 'gloves in the bottle' that a poster posted about recently though.

Babygirl.....I know you're not gone leave me hanging.....:rofl:

Com'on now....you gone have to post a link to the thread, website, or something.

WorkInProgress88

i make sure i thoroughly base my scalp

i relax in halves (right side first; then left side)

i pre-part my head and hold the part with duckbill clips

i apply relaxer with an applicator brush -- less messy imo

chosen1

I wear gloves of course and use an applicator brush. I use to use my finger tips to apply a while back but that will cause me to get relaxer on already relaxed hair.

I use my hands. Sometimes I do it with no gloves and other times I do one hand with a glove and the other without. I know it sounds weird but I need to feel my new growth.

Ms Kain

I usually use my fingers with gloves, but a recent thread brought attention to those who relax without gloves, like shunemite. I'm scared to not use gloves, but I am curious and will probably be trying it in January in conjunction with the back of a fine toothed comb.

Yeah I know what you mean about being a little apprehensive about doing it without gloves. :yep: I started a thread asking about women who already relaxed without gloves and asked them if they have ever tried using "Gloves in a Bottle". The reaction was so strongly mixed with women who said that they would never think to use just their hands (saying it would mess up their fingertips), to women who use their hands and thought that the extra protection would be good (They said that relaxing 3 times a year wouldn't ruin their hands) and those women who only used their hands but were hesitant about using G in a B because they wondered if it would mix in wih their relaxer. All had good points.

As for me, I haven't done a self relax in awhile and when I did I underprocessed so I'm going to try some new things. Before I used a brush and I also used medium or regular relaxer. Now I think I am going to use a mild (for more time to apply) or Mizani Butter Blend and then try to find a way to apply it with an applicator bottle because it seems like it would make the application quicker and more accurate. As for smoothing, I think I might step out on a limb and try using the Gloves in a Bottle when I do that. :rolleyes: I'm stretching now but I'm going to post after I do it to let people know how it goes. :grin:

~ Ms. Kain

WaistLengthDreams

My most recent self-relaxing session, which was also my first attempt at it, I started applying with spatula and then went to an applicator brush, when I got tired of that I went to a fine tooth comb and then I ended up applying it with my fingers. At first my hands were gloved but I was so nervous :nervous2: and my hands were getting so sweaty so I removed the gloves and finished up with my bare hands. My next relaxer session is in two weeks and I am going to try to do the whole thing with my applicator brush because it was the most effective/accurate tool when I look back at the whole fiasco, :lachen:

baddison

natural for good
I relax in sections. I used to do 3 sections, but now I use 2 sections the way Kami does in her video. I apply the relaxer very generously with an applicator brush. I let it sit for a minute, then I go back and smooth with the back of a rat-tail comb. Perfect results every time, and I don't have to do whole lotta smoothing either.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
The last two times I used my fingers (no gloves:look:) and the back of a rat-tail comb.:ohwell:

Next time, which will be in about 3 weeks, I will try: fingers, applicator brush & rat-tail:lachen: