Self Relaxers: What do you use to apply the relaxer to your hair?

Charlie555

I no longer relax but another member said she adds the relaxer to an application bottle and gets really good results that way without over laping.

HTH

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I no longer relax but another member said she adds the relaxer to an application bottle and gets really good results that way without over laping.

HTH

How do you squeeze the relaxer thru the nozzle? Its so thick! I've tried this before. It was just messy...maybe if I cut the nozzle so it would be wider? I was even thinking of using a piping bag, you know the ones you use for icing...

4evershika

I've also thought of using an applicator bottle when I self-relax... I might have to re-visit that idea and seriously cut the nozzle to help the relaxer come out easier...

taz007

I used an applicator bottle and it was a NIGHTMARE!! :nono: I could not get the relaxer out of the bottle no matter how big I cut the nozzle.

I ended up cutting the entire bottle in half and scooping it out with my hands.

Never again!

sharifeh

Yeah I know what you mean about being a little apprehensive about doing it without gloves. :yep: I started a thread asking about women who already relaxed without gloves and asked them if they have ever tried using "Gloves in a Bottle". The reaction was so strongly mixed with women who said that they would never think to use just their hands (saying it would mess up their fingertips), to women who use their hands and thought that the extra protection would be good (They said that relaxing 3 times a year wouldn't ruin their hands) and those women who only used their hands but were hesitant about using G in a B because they wondered if it would mix in wih their relaxer. All had good points.

As for me, I haven't done a self relax in awhile and when I did I underprocessed so I'm going to try some new things. Before I used a brush and I also used medium or regular relaxer. Now I think I am going to use a mild (for more time to apply) or Mizani Butter Blend and then try to find a way to apply it with an applicator bottle because it seems like it would make the application quicker and more accurate. As for smoothing, I think I might step out on a limb and try using the Gloves in a Bottle when I do that. :rolleyes: I'm stretching now but I'm going to post after I do it to let people know how it goes. :grin:

~ Ms. Kain

how did it go?

chavascandy

I use my bare finger with no gloves. When I use an applicator brush or a rat tail comb I can't properly place the relaxer on my new growth.

la mosca

Just ordered! Those look really cool.:grin:

They really are great. I've used the Sprush for my last few relaxers, and it is amazing. During my most recent relaxer application, I got the relaxer on my hair in record time, which left much more time for smoothing. I got the best results I've ever had--either self-relaxing or from a pro!

Stella B.

Get yourself a sprush. You will get the smoothest application of your relaxer ever! :grin: There are no bristles for your hair to snag on, or get caught in. The sprush is a solid rubber squeegy (?sp) type tool in the shape of an applicator brush, with a keen edge that helps you get right down to the roots. I also use mine for applying conditioners, and DC's. :yep: Sally's sells the applicator style, and on the sprush website, www.templeclean.com you can get about 10 different styles! This is a great tool to have in your stash.

JMH1908

I use my gloved hands, but the gloves are tightly fitted so I can have a better feeling of what I'm doing...

MizzCoco

For the ladies that use the sprush, which one did you use? There are several for applying relaxers, and I didnt know which one to choose

Ms. Alainious

Those sprush things are cute, but since i don't know how this self-relaxing thing is gonna go, I think I'm going to invest $.79 on a mini rubber spatula. Seems like that would mimic the edge of the sprush enough to give me a nice application.

Kellum

I use the applicator brush or my the back of my rat tail comb. Most often I use the applicator brush. I plan on buying one of the sprushes and trying that out. I will never used my hands again. It is too messy.

ETA: I wear gloves also.

blupeace

I will be Relaxing Friday. And will be using the Gold "Sprush" (Thanks Taz007:hug2:).

I'm sure it is gonna be Nice.:grin:

I used the sprush for the first time a few months back for a retouch. I love it!

If you have a little bit of new growth, you can hold the sprush at a wide angle (at least 45 degrees from the area on the hair where you're applying the relaxer). This helps in preventing the spread of the relaxer onto the already relaxed hair. If you have alot of new growth, you can put the sprush at a close angle to your head and apply the relaxer, as if your spreading frosting on a cake (its late, I'm hungry!!!:lachen:)