Self Relaxing Virgin Hair

Nanyanika

Has anyone done this? I may relax my nieces hair and I would like to how how to tackle relaxing/texturizing virgin hair. How should it be applied? How many sections? is it different from performing touch ups only? I would appeciate your opinions on this.

Tai

I've relaxed other people. I tend to separate into four sections, starting in the back working towards the front. You still base the scalp but the relaxer is applied to all of the hair. How long it's left on is determined by their hair type and how straight you want the hair to be once done.

Nanyanika

Tai my niece's hair is 4b thick coarse/resistant texture. I heard that the relaxer has to be applied two inches from the scalp and an inch away from the ends, something to do with body heat is that correct. After the relaxer is applied the hair is smoothed with a comb. Is this correct because i dont want to do something wrong.

renee_n_3000

Den, I haven't relaxed a virgin head of hair but I would apply it the same way I apply my touchups, from back to front, as Tai described.

One thing I think is important is to make sure you buy enough relaxer depending on the amount of hair your niece has. You don't want to run out.

I use the whole box of my relaxer for my touchups, which is on about 2 1/2 inches of hair. That makes me think that I might have needed 12 boxes of relaxer if I'd relaxed my whole head. That sounds outrageous to me now that I've written it. Maybe it's not true and it would actually take less relaxer than I think. Hopefully someone will reply with an answer to that.

By the way, I clicked on your hair photos and your hair is gorgeous.

Tai

I've always done virgin hair about 1/2 inch from the scalp and down to the ends. Two inches is a lot of room IMO and I could see that part being underprocessed. If the ends look dry, then I could see not putting the relaxer down to the tip but I've only relaxed healthy virgin hair.
I don't use a comb to smooth. I normally just use my gloved fingers so I can feel the texture. Combing can get hair too straight IMO.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
I've always done virgin hair about 1/2 inch from the scalp and down to the ends. Two inches is a lot of room IMO and I could see that part being underprocessed. If the ends look dry, then I could see not putting the relaxer down to the tip but I've only relaxed healthy virgin hair.
I don't use a comb to smooth. I normally just use my gloved fingers so I can feel the texture. Combing can get hair too straight IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for putting me on the right track, i'm glad i posted this thread, because i know i would probably run a muck on that girl's hair, she would hate her auntie forever.

Tai

Is her hair already in good condition? Is she doing deep conditioners, protein treatments, etc? You'll want to make sure her hair is healthy before you proceed. If it is, everything should go fine.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
renee_n_3000 said:
By the way, I clicked on your hair photos and your hair is gorgeous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankyou
!!!

swirl

IG: rhonda_hair
playing devils advocate here
...why are you even considering relaxing your niece's hair if you don't know how to do it? also, if you're transitioning, why relax the childs hair at all? this does not sound promising to me...just curious...

LEOLADYSW

Self relaxing is [at least on this board] something we can easily do at home, even for the first time. We have the knowledge how to do it well. den1 is just accessing that knowledge base.

I think either den1, her niece, or the niece's mother have made the decision the niece's hair will be relaxed.

Whether or not den1 is transitioning her own hair, has nothing to do with whether her niece's hair should be relaxed or natural.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
swirl said:
playing devils advocate here
...why are you even considering relaxing your niece's hair if you don't know how to do it? also, if you're transitioning, why relax the childs hair at all? this does not sound promising to me...just curious...

[/ QUOTE ]

Many women on LHCF have relaxed their hair for the first time i.e Chichi. WHY CAN'T I DO IT?. I've been on this forum long enough since 2002? and that's why i'm asking for tips to ensure that i'm doing everything right, My reason for transitioing to get rid of underprocessing, i could get a corrective but i've chosen not to avoid damage, btw my hair is healthy, is that a good enough reason for you? Would you like to say anything else to make me feel worse at this moment of time. I'm very upset about things in my life right now so if i have offended you by my abupt manner, forgive me.

swirl

i am certainly not going to get into a "thing" over this...like i said, i was just playing devils advocate and trying to get some clarification for myself.

LEOLADYSW

I am sorry den1. I forgot to ask how long your niece's hair is?

This is important because if she has brastrap hair, then she will need more relaxer than if she has short hair. She may need 2 boxes if you are using a box relaxer.

If you have any question about whether you have enough relaxer, then it is my opinion you should have too much rather than not enough. You can always disgard what you don't need if you have to use 1 1/2 boxes.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
swirl said:
i am certainly not going to get into a "thing" over this...like i said, i was just playing devils advocate and trying to get some clarification for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, I hope everythings "CLARIFIED" now

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
LEOLADYSW said:

This is important because if she has brastrap hair, then she will need more relaxer than if she has short hair. She may need 2 boxes if you are using a box relaxer.

If you have any question about whether you have enough relaxer, then it is my opinion you should have too much rather than not enough. You can always disgard what you don't need if you have to use 1 1/2 boxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, my niece's hair is pretty short, approximately around ear length, but it is very thick and coarse. I was thinking of using Affirm lye, i have a 4lbs tub, this should be more than enough, what do you think?
btw it is a mild perm, i'm unsure about what strength to use, i may have to do some strand tests to determine the strength. I will seek professional advice regarding the condition of her hair.

swirl

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
swirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, I hope everythings "CLARIFIED" now

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not. this is my pm to leoladysw:

Username: LEOLADYSW

Subject: no drama, just want to clear the air

i decided to address your concerns directly as opposed to discussing this in front of an audience. first, why did you take my questions so personally? i was not attacking her. it would concern me as a mother if my sister offered to relax my daughters hair and had to turn to a message board for advice on how to do it. the questions she asked were very basic. if she does not know how to part the girls hair, how would she know how much to apply or when to wash it out? relaxing, irrespective of how simplistic some folks make it, is a serious thing that could have long term consequences. did anyone consider the nieces age before offering advice? i think the fact that she is concerned enough about her hair to transtion (irrespective of her personal reasons) yet would perm her nieces hair speaks volumes. i was hoping to bring a little balance. perhaps i could have voiced my concerns a little differently. on second thought...i might just post this myself.

Tai

Den, the 4lb tub will be more than enough.
Do you know what your niece's routine is with her hair?

Nanyanika

Tai Yes, she has learned a lot from my own hair regime, she wears protective such as braids and moisturises her hair everyday. she shampoos and conditions also. i think it will work out well, i texturised my sister's hair two months ago and she still has all her hair, so i must be doing something right. The reason why i asked those questions was because i knew the application would be a little different for virgin hair.

LEOLADYSW

Ok. I understand where you are coming from.

However, den1 perming her niece's hair [whether it is the first time or not] is irrelevant.

There are many on this board who have permed their own hair for the first time [self relaxed], and asked for advice, and has done it successfully. Self relaxing is not that difficult -- it is easy in fact.

There was no indication that den1 was relaxing her niece's hair without her parents permission [that is even saying her niece is under 18]. Apparently, this is not a consideration or even part of the thread itself.

Lastly, den1 was asking for advice on how to perm, not asking for advice as to whether she should or should not, or if she had permission, or does den1 have the knowledge of "long term consequences" of relaxers. Those issues are a given.

den1 just wanted to instructions on how do do a full virgin hair perm. That is all.

I did not take your post personally. I just provided the information you wanted -- why should den1 relax her niece's hair if den1 herself is transitioning.

Answer: den1's hair is not her niece's hair, and apparently she is doing what the family and/or her niece wants.

LEOLADYSW

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
LEOLADYSW said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, my niece's hair is pretty short, approximately around ear length, but it is very thick and coarse. I was thinking of using Affirm lye, i have a 4lbs tub, this should be more than enough, what do you think?
btw it is a mild perm, i'm unsure about what strength to use, i may have to do some strand tests to determine the strength. I will seek professional advice regarding the condition of her hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, lol, I think you have more than enough relaxer. Cool then, with the advice the others have given you, and your own experience, you should do well then.

Tai

Things will be fine.
I know that you know what you're doing and relaxing virgin hair is a bit different than doing a touch up.