virgin relaxer tips please!!!!

babygirl_00

Ladies any tips on self relaxing virgin hair. I've seen all the tips and viewed the post on touch-ups but nothing on relaxing virgin hair. Would you say it's the same as touch-ups other then your applying the relaxer all over your hair.:perplexed

Ladies any tips on self relaxing virgin hair. I've seen all the tips and viewed the post on touch-ups but nothing on relaxing virgin hair. Would you say it's the same as touch-ups other then your applying the relaxer all over your hair.:perplexed
I would say make sure you put a lot of vaseline in the scalp and ears and forehead to protect the person or yourself because i think it will burn since it might need a longer time to take. Also you're going to have to work quick and keep working in (massaging) the perm in order to make it really str8. Wear gloves so your nails don't turn yellow. Tell the person to wear old clothes they wouldn't mind getting ruined.
I don't have a perm any more but i love to do hair and I always did my own perms and had a little business cutting perming and styling while away in college.

I would say make sure you put a lot of vaseline in the scalp and ears and forehead to protect the person or yourself because i think it will burn since it might need a longer time to take. Also you're going to have to work quick and keep working in (massaging) the perm in order to make it really str8. Wear gloves so your nails don't turn yellow. Tell the person to wear old clothes they wouldn't mind getting ruined.
I don't have a perm any more but i love to do hair and I always did my own perms and had a little business cutting perming and styling while away in college.

Thanks for the advise. Love your hair in your avatar. I had plan on only leaving the relaxer on for 15 minutes. Do you think that's enough? My hair is pass bra strap when str8.

Thanks for the advise. Love your hair in your avatar. I had plan on only leaving the relaxer on for 15 minutes. Do you think that's enough? My hair is pass bra strap when str8.
Since your hair is so long maybe your should try applying the perm from the bottom sections to the top becaue if you start by your scalp you will not make 7 minutes becasue it will already be burning. I don't remember ever sitting 15 minutes for a perm but it depends on you. How long can you manage to have the creamy crack in your hair with out it burning? Is it str8 enough that you feel it's ready to rinse out? It depends.

Honestly I wouldn't reccomend this as a do it yourself job. You have to be FAST when you apply relaxer in general and espeically when you are doing a virgin. In order to maintain the average processing time for most relaxers you have to apply the relaxer in less than 10 min, 8 would be ideal situation with 2 min on each section so that the 7 to possibly 12 minutes can be for processing. You can do this when you are retouching since its only the roots but if you're doing a virgin relaxer you may want to get someone you trust and is very fast to apply it for you.

When you do a virgin relaxer you apply the relaxer 1 in from scalp and leave the last 1 inch of ends out. Once you do that to the whole head you then have to go back and apply to the scalp. The reason you cannot apply to the whole head at the same time is b/c the hair at teh root will process faster due to body heat. So you will come out with straight roots and underprocessed and possibly overprocessed mid length. And since your hair is long that is all the more reason to. It could come out with uneven texture with some areas under, properly, and over processed.

I plan on getting a virgin relaxer and plan on having a co-worker do it and if she doens't mind I plan on having two people so that it goes faster. my hair is almost bsl and is thick.

I agree with Pisceschica...you should get your first relaxer done professionally or atleast have someone who knows what they are doing to assist you. I just don't want you to mess up that hair of yours:perplexed

Back