SELF TRIMMING: HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR SCISSORS ARE SHARP?

Lotus

Beauticians, barbers and self trimmers...

How do you know if your scissors (shears) are sharp?

If they are dull how do you sharpen them?

I just gave myself a trim, now I'm sitting here wondering if my scissors were sharp enough. :(

NuMe2004

I'm not sure how you sharpen the scissors, but I can say that in my experience, hair cutting scissors are sharper than house/craft scissors. Sally's sells good hair cutting scissors that are very sharp...but they ain't cheap!

lana

If my scissors are more than a year old I throw them away. BUT, that's the inexpensive kind. Now my friend with a license for hair, she has the $100 pair and she sharpens them regularly. I don't have a scissor sharpener, but I wish I did!

Millahdoowop

I was told that you can sharpen scissors by using tin foil or heavy duty foil. Fold up the foil and cut through it with the scissors and that should sharpen them.

Lotus

Sorry late response... had to take a nap.

I have hair a some what expensive pair of hair shears... but they are about 2 to 3 years old. I dont use them often... but I'm wondering did I do more damage than good this morning w/my cut.

I'll cut some foil *to be on the safe side* and dust.

Thanks much

Last edited:

SummerSolstice

maybe u guys could just go get some beginners shears for $10... esp. if you buy flat irons and stuff... why not just get some shears? Imo scissors don't do the job

krissyprissy

I use pro scissors from sally's by Cricket and I got them on sale for $35. I have been using them for about 4 months and they are fantastic and very sharp.

AfroKink

maybe u guys could just go get some beginners shears for $10... esp. if you buy flat irons and stuff... why not just get some shears? Imo scissors don't do the job
I tend to use the words shears and scissors interchangeably. I bought some shears from Sally's about a year ago. But I don't know if they're still sharp and how often they should be sharpened or replaced....