Guys, nicer hair cutting shears really do make a difference for self-trimming!

HoneyDew

I know we have talked about this before, but I just had to share....

I bought some new shears that are REALLY sharp and precise. They were a little more expensive than others, but I bought them because my last few dustings were not very good, IMO.

My trim turned out better than ever with these. I am never using cheap scissors again!

This particular pair came in a really nice zip-up case, too. The case has a space for another pair if needed - Very nice.

These are the ones I bought after a suggestion from a friend (Angel Scissors), but I know there are so many nice kinds out there - just don't settle for the dull cheapies ladies - there is a difference.

bluejay47

Thanks, good reminder tip! Some here would cringe if they knew what I've trimmed with..... But this would be a good investment. If I can pay 30+ bucks on a product, I should be willing to spend a little extra on some good shears.

secretdiamond

Yep! :yep: I used the new shears I bought 2 months ago to do my first real trim a few weeks ago. I paid about $50 for them on sale & I love them! My ends came out wonderful!! That's why I posted the pics of them. I couldn't believe that I could get them to look so professional . Mind you, I was about 10 weeks post relaxer when I did it with matted roots (which I don't recommend doing), but my ends were still so clean and even when I got my relaxer.

And I know I won't have to do another real trim for a couple of months! :D

HoneyDew

secretdiamond said:

That's how I feel! It seems like this one was much more precise and that I won't have to do it again for a while.

secretdiamond

Yeah, I realized this after getting my last trim from my stylist, who uses top quality tools, that my ends stayed clean for 6 months. Yes, 6 months!! This has never happened to me before, and I knew it was because I was taking care of my ends coupled with the fact that her shears were top of the line. So I figured I'd get my own pair and try to do it myself without paying an arm & a leg to get it done.

My shears aren't $250 or anything, but they are of higher quality, from a trusted and well-known company, and the price seemed reasonable to me.

deltagyrl

I'm SO ready to dust my ends..... Was in Sally's looking for shears and I REFUSED to pay $80 for them.

What should I be looking to spend for a good pair? Is $80 too much?

HoneyDew

delta_gyrl said:
I'm SO ready to dust my ends..... Was in Sally's looking for shears and I REFUSED to pay $80 for them.

What should I be looking to spend for a good pair? Is $80 too much?

Yes!!! $80 is to much because I think you can get great ones for much less.

I paid about $30 including shipping for mine and I LOVE them. I got these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190089406804&fromMakeTrack=true

And some ladies get theirs for even less. But, I have yet to find truely great shears like the ones I have for less than $25.

deltagyrl

HoneyDew

delta_gyrl said:
I knew $80 was ridiculous.

So $25-35 is a good range? Any brand? What am I looking for exactly? :confused:

I think that is a good range, although some ladies may argue that they think cheaper ones are just as good.

I am not that knowledgable of all the brands. I was just so sick of cheap scissors so I splurged on the ones I got from Ebay. I was very impressed with them and even more when KhandiB commented on how nice they were when she used them once. I need to get them sharpened at a craft store soon, but they are still good as new.

HoneyDew

delta_gyrl said:
WOW. The picture made me want to buy THOSE. Talk about presentation.:lol:

I know! They need to add in the fact that they come on a nice little zipper case that you can fit 2 other pairs of scissors in.

AKA-Tude

delta_gyrl said:
WOW. The picture made me want to buy THOSE. Talk about presentation.:lol:

Ain't that the truth!!!

Angels singin' & stuff!:angel:

I wanna buy me some!!! SERIOUSLY!!!:lol:

krissyprissy

I have a pair of pro shears that I swiped from my mom who is a stylist. I will never use cheap shears after realizing that it will cause splits sooner.

AKA-Tude

Thanx for the notice, HoneyDew.

I just ordered a titanium blue set of these scissors.

I was also under the impression that you had to pay a mint to get good scissors.

And I'm in need of a slight trimming of my ends, but I'll wait for these!

I'm excited!

gradygirl

Thanks for posting this HoneyDew I have been wondering about the quality factor of my shears and if it makes a difference or not. You have convinced me.

HoneyDew

AKA-Tude said:
Thanx for the notice, HoneyDew.

I just ordered a titanium blue set of these scissors.

I was also under the impression that you had to pay a mint to get good scissors.

And I'm in need of a slight trimming of my ends, but I'll wait for these!

I'm excited!

I was thinking about getting the blue ones, as well. I have a pair of the 5.5 inch ones and I think I may order a bigger pair, maybe 6 inches in the blue. They really are great scissors!

RubyWoo

Bump!

Anyone else get Angel scissors? How are they holding up for you Honeydew? Are you still finding that you need to trim less with these?

Blackoutzangel05

secretdiamond said:
Yep! :yep: I used the new shears I bought 2 months ago to do my first real trim a few weeks ago. I paid about $50 for them on sale & I love them! My ends came out wonderful!! That's why I posted the pics of them. I couldn't believe that I could get them to look so professional . Mind you, I was about 10 weeks post relaxer when I did it with matted roots (which I don't recommend doing), but my ends were still so clean and even when I got my relaxer.

And to me that isn't a bad price. However, spending hundreds when you only cut once a year if that is a waste to me. I am probably going to get some better shears then the ones that I have right now or I might get mine sharpened. Mine where on sale for $20 when I brought them but they were regularly priced at $49.99.

*Michelle*

Yes, the shears ABSOLUTELY make a difference. I had a pair of $350 Joewell shears and my clients were amazed at how well their ends held up! Now of course, I don't have those anymore(they were stolen, right before I left the field and just figured it wasn't worth it to replace them) I have an inxpensive (relatively) $90 pair that I use on myself and the few clients I have.

I thought it was interesting that most black stylist didn't have top of the line shears and thought I was crazy, but most white stylist did and understood. When I was an instructor I taught my students the importance of quality tools and how they would eventually pay for themselves...twentyfold!

I'm digress...sorry!

HoneyDew

Pixel Lady said:
Yes, the shears ABSOLUTELY make a difference. I had a pair of $350 Joewell shears and my clients were amazed at how well their ends held up! Now of course, I don't have those anymore(they were stolen, right before I left the field and just figured it wasn't worth it to replace them) I have an inxpensive (relatively) $90 pair that I use on myself and the few clients I have.

I thought it was interesting that most black stylist didn't have top of the line shears and thought I was crazy, but most white stylist did and understood. When I was an instructor I taught my students the importance of quality tools and how they would eventually pay for themselves...twentyfold!

I'm digress...sorry!

I bet yours are SO NICE!!

Nixx said:
Bump!

Anyone else get Angel scissors? How are they holding up for you Honeydew? Are you still finding that you need to trim less with these?

Well, I am not sure I have much to compare it to because I was not much of a trimmer for a long time. All I know is that the cheapies were not giving me a precision cut and I had to alwys go back and fix mistakes.

With my Angel Shears, I can just trim nicely and that's it. I still trim a week after each relaxer touchup, but I really only have to in one uneven "recovering from breakage" section. The rest holds up for months and months.