Sephora - "I'm dreaming of..." theme catalog (the model's hair)

greenandchic

I just received my Sephora holiday catalog today and was happy to see a dark skin Black woman on the cover. I love her makeup, but I must say her hair looks terrible. :nono: A HAM IMO.

She looks natural but they stuck a straight weave/fall on the crown of her hair without blending it in or just giving her a full weave. Her hair is black and kinky in the front/edges and brown and bone straight (with some curls) on the top and back. What were they thinking?

There is a YT video how they did her makeup. The view of her profile, which is the same as the cover of the catalog is at 1:17. The catalog photo is a much closer shot and looks more mismatched.

Thoughts? Am I being too hard?

chelseatiara

OOoo they are wrong for that :nono: In the front the hair is just sticking completely straight up! Im glad she on the cover and all but they could have done better..

greenandchic

Its like they knew what to do with her makeup, but when it came to her hair, they were lost. I think she probably could have done a better job with that...

bride91501

My oldest DD models and did a print ad for Amtrak a couple of years ago. I'm thinking, "Amtrak! Surely, they'll have stylists on hand who know how to deal with natural hair." :nono:

Do you know what my DD's hair looked like in their NATIONAL print ads? It was in the same bun her mother put it in when she left the house that morning :lachen: They were too afraid to even touch it :lol:

Looks like the folks at Sephora at least made an attempt, albeit a horrid one :lol: Is our hair really that difficult to work with?? Sheesh.

greenandchic

bride91501 In print modeling, I always did my hair. I mean, Sephora could have hired a stylist to do her hair. They have enough money unlike the low-budget products I did, LOL.

Miss*Tress

I was distracted by her bad skin in the close-up shots. Otherwise, the model is pretty and her hair didn't bother me that much.

bride91501

greenandchic - you're definitely right. That was her first booking with a "big" client, so I was expecting the works lol. Shortly thereafter, I found you guys, so we now arrive on all jobs with our LHCF-approved hair supplies bag in tow....:lol:

LayneJ

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew exactly what you were talking about. I received my catalog a good week ago, and was shocked at the model's hair. It did not look as bad in the video actually, but it's cringe-worthy on the actual cover.

The model is very beautiful though, and I love the makeup job. :yep:

CurlsBazillion

ok so yeah I kinda chuckled at first glimpse in the video but when I saw her hair in preparation it wasn't as funny. They had a "stylist" on hand that "styled" her hair, somebody put that weave and rollers in her hair like that and meant to do it that way. I find it hard to believe no one on set thought her hair was a mess. Sephora know they got some Carol's Daughter or something else they sell that could help.

CharyAlm0nd

She looks natural but they stuck a straight weave/fall on the crown of her hair without blending it in or just giving her a full weave. Her hair is black and kinky in the front/edges and brown and bone straight (with some curls) on the top and back. What were they thinking?

Thoughts? Am I being too hard?

:perplexed :nono: I wonder what she was thinking, she HAD to notice that her hair and the weave didn't match. Maybe she was just excited to have the job and didn't care. I will say that she's better than me because if I were in her shoes on that day I would've gotten fired on the spot. :ohwell: Aside from that she is beautiful :)

SmilingElephant

I completely get it. Idk but on the runways that "Bed Head" look is still popular and it looks like that's what they went for with this shoot.

It came out nice to me. Although in real life I wouldn't wear it. Just like I see cool things on the runway shows on tv or whatever but they're not wearable in real life.

krissyprissy

I don't have the catalog but I was in JcPenny's Sephora this weekend and they have a pic of a black model with awful hair hanging up. I thought to myself "they always messing up black models hair".