Severe breakage...how much is too much protien?

leigh.hill

I recently experienced what I consider to be "severe" breakage and shedding. It is my fault. I slacked off one week with my hair routine and the weather changed, then the breakage started! Anyway, I think after trying GBP (twice last week), Apoghee Two-minute (yesterday), and Indian Hemp & Tamanu Grow & Strength Masque (I just bought and used this one today :yep:), the breakage has stopped for the most part.

My question is should I continue to use the Indian Hemp as a pre-treatment before co-washing this week?

EnExitStageLeft

I think its a matter of knowing your porosity levels. I for one am Normal to High Porosity so my strands responds quite well to protein. I can use it pretty much every wash with little to no (I usually don't) problem. Is your hair of normal to high porosity? If the answer is yes then I say, GO FOR IT! If not, I say inspect further and see what works :).

Last edited:

leigh.hill

I have no idea of my porosity?!?! I just don't want to see comb fulls of hair anymore. It was getting scary :nono:

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
The only way I know how to describe it, is that I know exactly how my hair feels when it is at peak health. I know I can get away with not using protein for 2-3 weeks, before my hair starts to feel hard, and stops curling correctly. It starts to frizz more, and feels ashy....I also start to see breakage. When I use too much protein, it feels Dry (even when damp) and sounds like hay when I run my fingers through it. That let's me know I need to make sure my moisture is high. When it's totally balanced, my ends and hair feel soft, and my hair curls and clumps like how it's supposed to.

So, really it all comes down to how well do you know your hair. :yep:

Just11412

honestly the only way i found out was experimenting. i now know that my hair only likes certain proteins mainly vegetable and silk with the exception of GPB by aubreys. hard proteins are a no no for my hair. and i can only do any type of protein once a week. if i am using a product daily it must contain no protein or glycerin.

leigh.hill

Just co-washed after working out today. I used Aubrey GPB before co-washing. I am still experiencing some breakage and shedding WAY more than normal, but not as bad as last week. Any suggestions?

ljf67

A few things - are you drinking enough water throughout the day? Are you in a climate that is cold and your are in and out of heat and cold? Have you changed your diet or started taking any new medication recently? Are you under more stress than usual? All of these could be reasons why you are experiencing so much breakage.

Try deep conditioning with a protein pack under a dryer for 10-15 minutes each time you wash your hair over the next few weeks and try to limit any unnecessary heat for a while. To the extent you can, wear your hair in a low maintenance style and be careful with hats and scarves that may damage your hair as you put them on and off several times a day.

Anne26

panda
Take one strand of hair and stretch it between two fingers. If it snaps quickly you might have protein overload, if it stretched a lot without breaking, you need protein. If it stretched a bit, and went back to the previous shape, your hair is balanced.