Sexual urges... a sin?

Sweetyb

I read in this thread [http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=13411] that fornication is indeed a sin. So I've humbled myself to understand that I have been committing a sin and will pray for it when I get home.

BUT, how about sexual urges?

Ever since I was still a virgin, I would fantasize about being with every man I came in contact with. I thought I would grow out that. But years later and now single again, I still have those same urges (well, even when not single). I won't get into what type of fantasies because this is a Christian Fellowship forum, but I assume you ladies know what I mean.

Is having sexual thoughts and feelings, but not acting out on them with other people, still a sin?

Last edited:

locabouthair

i do know that the Bible says we should have pure thoughts. I did read in my Billy Graham book that temptation is not a sin, sin is when we give in to temptation.

sithembile

Sexual urges are natural, and they are not sinful in themselves, however, if we dwell on them and act on them, that is when we sin. That is whay the Bible tells us to guard our hearts and minds and to think of only what is pure. It tells us to take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ. It is not easy, but it is possible through the enabling of the Holy Spirit. God gives us a way out for every temptation we face, it is up to us to use that power to overcome the desire to dwell on or act on our urges.

good2uuuu

sithembile said:
Sexual urges are natural, and they are not sinful in themselves, however, if we dwell on them and act on them, that is when we sin. That is whay the Bible tells us to guard our hearts and minds and to think of only what is pure. It tells us to take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ. It is not easy, but it is possible through the enabling of the Holy Spirit. God gives us a way out for every temptation we face, it is up to us to use that power to overcome the desire to dwell on or act on our urges.

ITA! It's a daily struggle. Pray and study so that your thoughts and desires become submitted to the Lord. It is indeed not easy, but the Lord will bring you through it as long as you desire it.

beverly

Admin (November 2020 Photo)
Staff member
Well, I get sexual urges, its a daily struggle. For me I just had to finally decide who my commitment was too - me and my wants/needs/desires or Christ. If you constantly think on something that is desirable most people will eventually breakdown do it. So that is why you shouldnt let your thoughts focus on any sinful thing, whether it be fornication, coveting, slandering someone, etc. So cntinuing to deliberately do anything that you know God says is wrong - no you will not go to heaven. We all stumble its a difference between stumbling and doing something continually for months/years that you know is wrong just because you want to do it.

Blossssom

locabouthair said:
i do know that the Bible says we should have pure thoughts. I did read in my Billy Graham book that temptation is not a sin, sin is when we give in to temptation.

But doesn't the Bible say something about a man who looks upon a woman with lust has already committed the sin of being with her in his heart?

I'm sure the same would apply to women who look upon men.

Last edited:
Blossom,

I agree with you on this. The Bible clearly states that if we lust, we have already committed the sin. This is why we must ask for forgiveness for what we know and not know.

beverly

Admin (November 2020 Photo)
Staff member
To understand scripture properly, you have to reference them in the entire context into which it was originally given in. It all goes back to controlling your thought life, and the importance emphasis that Jesus places on it it throughout the bible.

As you think, therefore you are, so it is important that you control your thoughts, if you don't you eventually start doing what you think.

Sweetyb

Very interesting. So I need to learn to control my thoughts. That's something I'm really going to have to work hard at because it's second nature. It's almost like being hard on myself for not getting the grade I wanted; it's second nature to think negatively of myself, but that's not good either. I plan on looking this up in the Bible, but does anyone have a name of a scripture that I can read about where Jesus speaks of thoughts of lust?

Also, do you ladies feel there is a fine line between sinful thoughts and being human?

Ayeshia

Its pretty normal...but dont follow through with them if you have a commitment to your God. I would think there was something wrng with me if I had NO SEXUAL deisre at all regardless if I was trying hard to have pure thoughts or not.

Sweet C

The Word says we are to cast down every vain thought and imagination that exalts itself above God (2 Cor 10:5). So any thought that contradicts God's Word must be cast down. To act upon it or to dwell upon it will be a sin. For example, if a nice looking guy walks down the street with his shirt off, and he walks pass me, I need to cast that thought down. If I turn my head and look and dwell on it, then I would have sinned. But neverthless, pray to God, and ask him to subject all areas of your life, including your thoughts to the authority of the Holy Spirit.

Miosy

Sweetyb said:
Very interesting. So I need to learn to control my thoughts. That's something I'm really going to have to work hard at because it's second nature. It's almost like being hard on myself for not getting the grade I wanted; it's second nature to think negatively of myself, but that's not good either. I plan on looking this up in the Bible, but does anyone have a name of a scripture that I can read about where Jesus speaks of thoughts of lust?

Also, do you ladies feel there is a fine line between sinful thoughts and being human?

Sweetyb, can I recommend a book that may help you w/ ur feelings. It's called "The mind is a battle field" by Joyce Meyers. Excellent book! It helped me battle some improper thoughts I was having during a very difficult time of my life and she gives tons of scriptural references :)

Last edited:

good2uuuu

Adultry and lust- Matthew 5:27&28.

Honoring God with your body- 1 Corinthians 6:12-20.

Renewing of your mind- Romans 12:1&2.

There are more, but the kids are distracting me. Hope these are good for you. BTW. Sexual urges are natural and God given. There is nothing wrong with having the urges. It's the dwelling on them that is the problem. Unless of course we're thinking about our spouses.

shunemite

Blossssom said:
But doesn't the Bible say something about a man who looks upon a woman with lust has already committed the sin of being with her in his heart?

I'm sure the same would apply to women who look upon men.

You're so right. My current struggle right now is the mind. My best friend mentioned to me that she stopped reading graphic romance novels for that purpose;to keep her mind pure. I think it gets even harder with the media and even just simple tv commercials that sell the idea that life is all about being desirable. Probably the hardest part about controlling my mind is that sometimes I assume that "since it's only in my head it's harmless." Unfortunately that's where the devil starts once he gets a foothold.... the mind.

sithembile

Miosy said:
Sweetyb, can I recommend a book that may help you w/ ur feelings. It's called "The mind is a battle field" by Joyce Meyers. Excellent book! It helped me battle some improper thoughts I was having during a very difficult time of my life and she gives tons of scriptural references :)

I'm reading this book, and it is so helpful. I pray that you will not give up, I know it is a struggle, we all share in it. I have had to cut many things out of my life that I once thought were harmless: I don't watch music videos or listen to most secular music because of its explicit/degrading content, I stopped watching shows like Nip/Tuck, Sex & the city reruns etc.There's enough junk in my head without adding to it by deliberately exposing myself to things that can put impure thoughts in my head!

Miosy

Sithembile, you are so right. We have to remove some worldly things out of our lives. For me is certain types of music; certain songs because they would remind me of the past or something sexual and certain movies that show too much sexual contact. You are so right! Thanks :)

star

Sweet C said:
The Word says we are to cast down every vain thought and imagination that exalts itself above God (2 Cor 10:5). So any thought that contradicts God's Word must be cast down. To act upon it or to dwell upon it will be a sin. For example, if a nice looking guy walks down the street with his shirt off, and he walks pass me, I need to cast that thought down. If I turn my head and look and dwell on it, then I would have sinned. But neverthless, pray to God, and ask him to subject all areas of your life, including your thoughts to the authority of the Holy Spirit.
I agree 100% with this. :)