Prayer for celibacy

NinasLongAmbition

Good morning beautiful ladies :)

I need lots of prayer, I'm trying to strengthen my walk with God and am recommitting after 2 years out.:-(

I was a virgin but fell victim to lust and sexual immorality in 2014.This year I would like to introduce God back in my life, get closer and remain celibate. I know nothing but good can come from this despite what my friends and the world says.

Pray for me please, I need lots of it!!!!!! I also would love to hear from ladies who are practicing celibacy and how they overcame lust and sexual urges.

felic1

Yes. My testimony used to be that I was saved, sanctified and filled with the holy ghost. Now I am saved, celibate and single.And glad about it too.I met someone nice recently.I do not want to allow him to come to the house, no kissing, rubbing, caress's and the like. It is hard to recover after a fall. It can take yearsss. I do not want to blow a hole in my salvation. I am somewhat skittish about going out somewhere with him alone. I do not want to know his address. I am not paranoid. I so want to keep my deliverance:look:

NinasLongAmbition

felic1How did you recover, I'm going to a women conference this weekend hoping for deliverance and the feelings of guilt and shame to be freed from me. I had a tough year and was very unhappy , I don't want 2015 to be like that again , due to my impatience and my rebellion I have cost my self a great deal of unnecessary emotional issues.

mz.rae

Praying!! It really is hard, and takes a lot of prayer. Also making sure you watch what TV shows you decide to watch. I am struggling with this now, and find when I watch shows that have explicit content it makes it worse.

alex114

Hello,
I am currently on a 5 month study program, during which I'll be away from my fiancé. I'm not sure if my post belongs here, but I am also trying not to succumb to any sexual urges (pleasuring myself, watching explicit movies, etc.). I am Christian, and would appreciate any tips/devotionals on staying completely celibate while away from my partner.

God bless!

Divine.

This is an area I struggled in for awhile. I have been celibate for about 3 years. I always used to break down and cry because I couldn't overcome sexual urges or my thoughts. I was introduced to sex at a very young age (around 8), so this has always been a stronghold.

I highly suggest limiting the amount of music you listen to and tv shows you watch. I can't listen to secular music period. If I even hear something about love, rubbing on someone's thigh, or relationships, my mind starts racing. Same thing with TV shows. I can't watch a lot of reality TV because sometimes there's just too much sexual innuendo. My radio station stays on the Christian channels and I do not subject myself to TV shows that talk too much about sex and relationships.

Also, stay in God's word as much as you can. Spend time with him. When you're in God's presence, your thoughts will immediately convict you. Any time you let a thought gain momentum, just ask for forgiveness. Do not dwell on it. Prayer helps as well. Sometimes you gotta put your foot down and tell the enemy that he will not win over this area of your life. If you don't create strong boundaries for yourself, it's going to be tough.

I hope this helps. It's not easy by any means. Sometimes I wonder if I can hold out. But by God's grace I am making it day by day.

alex114

Thank you so much Divine. I was wondering if my consumption of certain media was making my journey harder, so that definitely makes sense. I will definitely try to listen to more fellowship based music. Do you have any recommendations for gospel artists, TV shows or other media that keeps you soundly and firmly on your journey?

Divine.

Thank you so much Divine. I was wondering if my consumption of certain media was making my journey harder, so that definitely makes sense. I will definitely try to listen to more fellowship based music. Do you have any recommendations for gospel artists, TV shows or other media that keeps you soundly and firmly on your journey?

TV and music can definitely make things harder. You can watch TV, you just need to eliminate shows that could potentially cause you to stumble from your rotation. The only shows I watch regularly are Dance Moms (I wanted to be a dancer growing up lol), Project Runway, and The Walking Dead (my guilty pleasure).

If I'm on the computer, I mainly watch shows I grew up with like Smart Guy and Full House. Your best bet for positive TV is going back to the shows you liked in your childhood. If I'm not watching shows, I like to watch video game walkthroughs and makeup tutorials on YouTube. Just don't rely on TV too much to entertain you. Go outside. Read a book (preferably Christian books that cover an area you need to grow in). You should also find a pastor you really like and listen to their sermons in your spare time. I enjoy Charles Stanley, Joyce Meyer, Keith Battle, and Cornelius Lindsey.

I love Israel Houghton and William McDowell! I can listen to those two on Pandora all day. I also like Tye Tribbet, Micah Stampley, Hillsong, and Vashawn Mitchell.

All of these things have helped me. I don't feel like I'm missing out either. Hope this helps!

blessedandfavoured

TV and music can definitely make things harder. You can watch TV, you just need to eliminate shows that could potentially cause you to stumble from your rotation. The only shows I watch regularly are Dance Moms (I wanted to be a dancer growing up lol), Project Runway, and The Walking Dead (my guilty pleasure).

If I'm on the computer, I mainly watch shows I grew up with like Smart Guy and Full House. Your best bet for positive TV is going back to the shows you liked in your childhood. If I'm not watching shows, I like to watch video game walkthroughs and makeup tutorials on YouTube. Just don't rely on TV too much to entertain you. Go outside. Read a book (preferably Christian books that cover an area you need to grow in). You should also find a pastor you really like and listen to their sermons in your spare time. I enjoy Charles Stanley, Joyce Meyer, Keith Battle, and Cornelius Lindsey.

I love Israel Houghton and William McDowell! I can listen to those two on Pandora all day. I also like Tye Tribbet, Micah Stampley, Hillsong, and Vashawn Mitchell.

All of these things have helped me. I don't feel like I'm missing out either. Hope this helps!

Ladies,

I was in a rush with my last post, hence so brief. I totally agree with Divine about the bold. It's like, you are what you eat. If you fill your mind with junk, you'll only ever be full of junk. The Bible says to keep our minds on things above, and to think of whatsoever is holy, pure, etc (Colossians 3:2, and Philippians 4:8), and I think that's a good guide for entertainment as well. Sadly, it's becoming harder and harder to find anything on tv or radio that fits these categories. On the upside, it leaves more time for prayer and Bible-reading (Romans 12:1-2)!

Remember to pray about everything (Philippians 4:6), and never forget that God is able to keep you from falling (Jude 1:24-25). Also, Christ said that without Him we can do nothing, but with God nothing shall be impossible - embrace that truth and let it fill you with confidence in God.

Finally, the Bible says that Jesus was tempted in ALL like manners as we, yet without sin, and that He is able to strengthen us in the day of temptation AND He is touched by our infirmity (Hebrews 2:16-18, Hebrews 4:15-16). Please, never feel ashamed to tell Jesus how much you need His help (Matthew 11:28-30). He knows what it's like to be human, and He loves you, and has the power to overcome every evil. He's already done it on the Cross! May He give us all total victory over all sin in this life, amen!

God bless all of us!

P.S: Some good preachers to listen to are Charles Stanley, Tony Evans, Paul Washer, David Jeremiah, Carter Conlon + all at Times Square Church. The Way of the Master is a good show as well. And reading the Bible really is one of the best things one can do!

Last edited:

mz.rae

I must honestly say that being celibate has been really hard this past couple of days. Me and my SO are waiting till we get married as we know a physical relationship is sacred for marriage. But it's like the longer we've been together which has only been three months the more the desire creeps in. There are some days where I'm just thinking like can we just hurry up and get married now. But I know that that's probably not smart too rush things. I just don't know what to do with myself.

felic1

I attend a deliverance church and we have altar prayer a lot. God has done so much for me. I am 56, divorced and the mother of a 25 year old. I am currently feeling like a virgin with a greatly diminished to no sex drive, no contraceptive, no media, condoms or other sneak and cheat usage. After 35 years being a christian there are times in which my drive will stand up and make demands. I do not listen to things like boys 2 men, and have not seen Scandal. I had to give up The Tudors. I watch movies from the 1930's. I was having a problem once and watch Joseph Prince back to back a few months. The issue left because I was listening to the word intensively.