Shampoo is damaging?

nisha2004

Hey ladies is it really that important to stay clear of SLES in shampoos? Will changing shampoos make that much of a difference with your hair? How many of you have gone the organic/natural route when it comes to hair cleansing. TIA.

star

I am in transtion but I try to stay away from harsh shampoos but there are alot good products out there but you must do the research but Aubrey's and other orangic lines are excellent. I love Kera Care line so I switch off with this to my natural line I got from health food store. I will eventually be using the Givonnai Hair Care line.

Last edited:

Dposh167

I actually use AO Honeysuckle shampoo...and to tell u the truth, even tho it's organic, it's somewhat drying on my hair, but it's better than sls etc.

SignatureBeauty

Sometimes I still use shampoos with SLS, I have no problem with using them, Some natural products just don't work for my hair & I must say that my hair is still the same, For some it might be improvement, but then again my hair was never badly damaged either.

ChocalateDiva

I am in transtion but I try to stay away from harsh shampoos but there are alot good products out there but you must do the research but Aubrey's and other orangic lines are excellent. I love Kera Care line so I switch off with this to my natural line I got from health food store. I will eventually be using the Givonnai Hair Care line.

FYI- Keracare has sulfates in the shampoos.

HoneyDew

Well I went Sulfate free from more than a month and I really don't think it is that big a deal.

I think for me, it is good to use a sulfate free moisturizing shampoo if I am clarifying with a shampoo that does contain sulfates, but I really don't think sulfates are bad.

I say that because whenever I use my Porosity Control Shampoo that DOES have sulfates, my hair is so soft and moisturized. I DON'T get that same from several of my sulfate free shampoos.

I think it is best to judge them all in the same way - use the ones that don't make your hair feel dry AND give moisture and slip.

Ladyhenri

I've been sulphate free for near two months now. I use Naked shampoos but am transitioning to Aveda DR Poo.
From the research i carried out then, sulphates erode the hair shaft over time.
So though damage may not be noticed immiedately, it is more likely to occur overtime.
I also noticed that Naked poos left my hair feeling hard, then i added a bit of oil to it and it felt better. Aveda DR poo has been great on my hair so i hope to use it exclusively in the future.
At the mo, I dont shampoo much. I do more co washes + DC's on dry hair. it not only shaves hours off my hair care routine, it makes my hair feel great!

ladylibra

sulfate shampoos can dry out your hair because sulfates are harsh cleansing agents. even if you deep condition and use moisturizers, your hair can retain more moisture if you don't dry it out in the first place. :yep: my hair has thrived since i switched to using Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner, and conditioner-wash with V05 all week. now that my hair is strong and healthy, i can use sulfate shampoos every now and then. but i will never go back to sulfate shampoos exclusively. :look:

PinkAngel

bumping.... for more responses.

There was a list of SLS free shampoos, if anybody can find it please bump it for me!

SouthernTease

I haven't used shampoo in about a year.
I do APPLE CIDER VINEGAR rinses to clean my hair.
I really want to use Anita Grant shampoo soap...
I've heard great things.