Share pics of your heat-trained hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcchick_07

Oh, at first I thought you were joking, and I joked right along with you, but now I see you really weren't.

So I was just wondering do you ever comb your hair? Brush your hair? Do twistouts or braidouts? Do twists or braids? Use conditioners, creams, gels, and other hair products? These things may not be heat or relaxers, but they temporarily alter your true hair texture that grows out of your head too.

I see the picture in your signature where your have your hair separated into 4 puffs. That's not how your hair grows out your head. Why are you manipulating it into something different? Same with your avatar that has two strand twists. Your hair doesn't grow out your head that way. Not being mean or anything... just something for you to think about...

putting hair in a pony tail =/= heat training one's hair

this whole argument is unnecessary. but if you are going to engage, please come up with better SAT comparisons than that.

but, on a happy note, i just bc'd my hair and have a rockin' twist out today. i'm going to a thread to post a pic.

how about we all exit to threads we'd like to be in?
:ohwell:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
putting hair in a pony tail =/= heat training one's hair

this whole argument is unnecessary. but if you are going to engage, please come up with better SAT comparisons than that.

but, on a happy note, i just bc'd my hair and have a rockin' twist out today. i'm going to a thread to post a pic.

how about we all exit to threads we'd like to be in?
:ohwell:

How about YOU not respond if not being addressed to, AND why respond to my post if you don't want to argue!? Your comment about putting hair in a ponytail doesn't equal heat training has NOTHING to do with the point I was trying to make! So quit MEDDLING!

jennboo is talking about how using heat and relaxers isn't how your hair grows out of your head. Soooo I was saying why do you wear your hair in twists and puffs when that's not how your hair grows out of your head either and just wear it as is in a shrunken nappy fro.

And why even say "how about we all exit to threads we'd like to be in?" I want to be in this thread! If you don't then TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE!

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

You are so right - on so many levels.

However, that's one benefit of being a paid member.
You get priveleges. *shrugs*

And I hate that it would resort to that, but, really, does it take allllllll of that? It shouldn't. As one poster said, the 'salty posts' get kinda old.

I still maintain, get a "Hot Girls" Support Group - Heat Training Members Only.

You know what I totally understand what you are saying and really appreciate it. For me though, if people that really that bothered about random person in the world using a blowdryer and flatiron, they have deeper issues than hair tbh.

If posters that choose to do their hair a certain way are hounded out of the Hair care forum then
1. There is no information out there for the shed loads of women that are struggling with their natural hair and would like to investigate options.
2. It validates the extremism

People will just have to either deal with it or go to a forum that caters for their dogma imho. I for one love the fact that this forum has all sorts and we for the most part co-exist.

LuvlyRain3

I just want to see some pics. But all of this is unnecessary. I hate that their has to be all this separation amongst black women because of how we prefer to wear our hair. This may be why people haven't posted any pics. They just don't want to deal with people telling them about their hair and what's supposedly wrong with it. Sad scenario really.

Poohbear

I just want to see some pics. But all of this is unnecessary. I hate that their has to be all this separation amongst black women because of how we prefer to wear our hair. This may be why people haven't posted any pics. They just don't want to deal with people telling them about their hair and what's supposedly wrong with it. Sad scenario really.

What are you talking about? People HAVE posted pictures. I DID! Why don't you post some pics instead of talking about "Woe is me! Black women are separated!" Save it! Your post is unnecessary too. It wasn't beneficial to this thread either.

Etherealsmile

I was really enjoying this thread until.......:nono: ladies if we keep this up, don't be surprised if this thread gets locked:sad:

Poohbear

ShopAholic and Etherealsmile26....

WHERE'S THE HEAT TRAINED PICS? Share some instead of complaining about the B.S.!!!

Like this:

This is a chunky twistout done on heat trained hair. These pics were taken back in December 2010.

LuvlyRain3

What are you talking about? People HAVE posted pictures. I DID! Why don't you post some pics instead of talking about "Woe is me! Black women are separated!" Save it! Your post is unnecessary too. It wasn't beneficial to this thread either.

Wow angry are we?? I'm not heat trained but was interested in seeing heat trained hair. Like alot of other women who have peeked in here. There its no woe as me concept to my post. There have been a few pics but there has been way more back and forth in here than anything. Maybe more heat trained ladies haven't posted in here because this is not the usual vibe that these kind if pic threads have. And you making this post attacking me was rather pointless and in no way beneficial too don't you think???

~*~ShopAholic~*~

First of all I'm relaxed ,and I am not complaining. Just saying I would like to see more pics. Were you hired by the OP to parole this thread? Cause you getting hype with the wrong one, I've never seen you like this before. .
ShopAholic and Etherealsmile26....

WHERE'S THE HEAT TRAINED PICS? Share some instead of complaining about the B.S.!!!

Like this:

This is a chunky twistout done on heat trained hair. These pics were taken back in December 2010.

Sent from my Zio

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I think there aren't many official heat trained ladies. There are some beautiful ladies with gorgeous hair. Let's try to focus on how gorgeous and versatile natural hair can be whether people choose to keep it strait or curly.:yep:

Etherealsmile

Poohbear, not all of us who are visiting this thread are heat trained yet :) I was lurking and enjoying the pics because i am extremely interested in heat training so I am learning from all the threads posted and enjoying the pics posted in this one as well. I'd hate to see the thread locked down before others contributed

Lynnerie

I'm not sure if this girl is heat-trained or not cause I don't know what her curl pattern is but nevertheless her hair is beautiful.

Scroll to 55 seconds to see her wet hair.

Natural hair regimen- Chellywellzshop

YouTube - chellywellzshop's Channel

ETA: Ladies thanks again for posting your pics. I'm trying to find examples that I can share from youtube but even though heat-training isn't a new concept I believe many people don't even realize that they are heat-training especially those who have been natural all their lives.

So they either think their hair is loose/straight or they are confused to why it doesn't curl. There's definitely a need to discuss. Please don't get the thread locked. Thanks!

Last edited:

reeko43

@napp and @yods, is your ht technique similar to brittany's? Do you concentrate more heat on your new growth and then lower it for the rest of your hair? Thanks so much for posting your pics. I was a little hesitant about trying this but the pics have been really helpful. I am going to be transitioning for a long time so this might help reduce the stress between the permed hair and new growth.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Exactly. I think my hair is heat trained to a certain extent but it still shrinks to high heavens. There's no straighten pieces or anything. It's just easier to blowdry and easier to flat-iron than the very first time I tried to straighten my natural hair.

I haven't taken any recent pics of wet hair or shrunken hair, but here's the latest one (taken January of last year) of my wet/damp hair after washing it. I'm stretching a piece of hair in the front:

Here's the last time I ever wore my natural hair in it's shrunken state which was July of last year:

I wouldn't consider you hair "heat trained' per se, because your hair still shrinks up considerably when wet. My definition of heat trained hair is natural hair that has been permanently loosened by the use of heat. The curl pattern is usually dramatically changed when heat trained. Say for instance your natural curl pattern is 4a when wet before you heat train your hair. After you've heat trained your hair, it is now permanently 3b when wet! Of course this is only my opinion :look:.

Poohbear

I apologize to the ladies I just popped off to. I'm having a bad day and just took it out on you all. Please forgive me.

PoisedNPolished

Yes I am in this thread hoping to become a heat-trainee in the future... I want to get about 4-6 inches of new growth since I am growing out a very short pixie. I have been in ALL the heat threads lately lol

SVT

I flatiron every couple of months but "heat-training" is an interesting concept.

Subscribed.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I wouldn't consider you hair "heat trained' per se, because your hair still shrinks up considerably when wet. My definition of heat trained hair is natural hair that has been permanently loosened by the use of heat. The curl pattern is usually dramatically changed when heat trained. Say for instance your natural curl pattern is 4a when wet before you heat train your hair. After you've heat trained your hair, it is now permanently 3b when wet! Of course this is only my opinion :look:.

There are different degrees of heat training and the one that is most familiar to me (pre-hair boards) is when you train your hair to stay straight longer. The texture change if there is one is very minimal. BMP talked about this as well. Her texture did not visually change but her hair stays straight longer. My hair stayed straight for a week or longer when I was younger and getting my hair pressed regularly. But now it can't stay bone straight longer than a day. My mother kept telling me I need to train it to stay straight again, which is what I plan to do. I have no intentions on getting a permanent type 3 texture. My hair has been type 4 all my life but in the past, it was trained to stay straight longer. So there's a spectrum of heat training that someone posted in the heat training support thread that basically covered the spectrum from a slight unnoticeable change to permanently straight hair.

This is 9th grade. MY hair was pressed bone straight and this style basically lasted until I washed it out. My hair always reverted (unfortunately I have no texture shots because I did not appreciate my curls until senior year).

This was 11th grade when I was still natural and again this lasted until wash day, where it fully reverted.

This was Thanksgiving and my hair went poof the very next morning. So yes, I will be training my hair to stay straighter longer but don't really want the drastic texture change. Hope the pics aren't too big.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Thanks for your input. But I think heat trained hair is just hair that's easier to straighten. The more you use heat to straighten, the more your hair will be trained to straighten easier. Some people will have different degrees of loosened hair texture from using the heat.

I've seen where there are naturals that have ended up with straightened pieces of hair from using heat, but that's the extreme high degree of heat training. They probably were either using heat everyday or had one hardcore press or flatiron with extreme high heat and/or product that caused those permanently straightened pieces. However, Your hair can be heat trained without being permanently straightened by heat. When I see a natural woman with straight pieces like that when their hair is wet, I don't see it as type 3. I see it as type 1 or 2 because it's straight now.

gcchick_07

How about YOU not respond if not being addressed to, AND why respond to my post if you don't want to argue!? Your comment about putting hair in a ponytail doesn't equal heat training has NOTHING to do with the point I was trying to make! So quit MEDDLING!

jennboo is talking about how using heat and relaxers isn't how your hair grows out of your head. Soooo I was saying why do you wear your hair in twists and puffs when that's not how your hair grows out of your head either and just wear it as is in a shrunken nappy fro.

And why even say "how about we all exit to threads we'd like to be in?" I want to be in this thread! If you don't then TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE!

i can respond to what i like because i'm an adult. much like yourself.

and obviously my comment to exit the thread to go look at things more agreeable was not for you. anyone with minimal reading comprehension can see that YOU did not come into the thread to make jokes (they were funny tho, imo).

and, i don't see my post as arguing. i could care less if someone wants to flatiron their hair till they lose their curl pattern. not my hair. however, equating permanently altering one's hair (in whatever manner) to putting a hair elastic around it is kinda...silly. if you notice, i suggested people who don't agree LEAVE THIS THREAD. i read just about anything on lhcf on the front page, so i read a lot of things i don't agree with. i generally choose not to comment though.

but clearly you have/had your knickers bunched. so hopefully you can see what i was trying to say now that you have apologized.

i accept it. apology taken. carry on.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
@napp and @yods, is your ht technique similar to brittany's? Do you concentrate more heat on your new growth and then lower it for the rest of your hair? Thanks so much for posting your pics. I was a little hesitant about trying this but the pics have been really helpful. I am going to be transitioning for a long time so this might help reduce the stress between the permed hair and new growth.

i think Brittany technique is very interesting. i like how she honed in her technique on getting a loosened texture and keeping it reasonably consistent.

me, i just wanted hair that was a just a little more flexible. i have no particular HT technique. i just straighten once a month with my regular straightening technique. blowdry with a serum,press with electric hot comb and flat iron w/ a little grease because i like my hair pin straight. i do make sure i tap those roots well to prevent quick reversion so i do focus on them more but i never did any of the temperature changing.(high on roots, lower on the ends)

i also feel that regular trimming/dusting prevents the wonky look that can happen on the ends. even as little as 1/8 an inch can make all the difference in the curl pattern of the entire strand!

hope that helps.

geejay

even though heat-training isn't a new concept I believe many people don't even realize that they are heat-training especially those who have been natural all their lives.

So they either think their hair is loose/straight or they are confused to why it doesn't curl. There's definitely a need to discuss.

This is so true. The basics of the idea are pretty well known, but how to control the process to get the desired effect is a mystery (for me at least). There are some wonderful discussions about relaxing techniques to get a bone straight or texlax effect. That's the kind of information it would be nice to get about heat training.

Thanks for making the thread. I know it's made some dramatic twists and turns, but it's been interesting. Thanks to all the ladies that have stuck with it and posted pictures/videos and added their thoughts to the discussion! :)

colibri972

This is so true. The basics of the idea are pretty well known, but how to control the process to get the desired effect is a mystery (for me at least). There are some wonderful discussions about relaxing techniques to get a bone straight or texlax effect. That's the kind of information it would be nice to get about heat training.

Thanks for making the thread. I know it's made some dramatic twists and turns, but it's been interesting. Thanks to all the ladies that have stuck with it and posted pictures/videos and added their thoughts to the discussion! :)

I wait the Brittany ebook to get an answer. :yep:

An other mystery for me,I don't know if I'm the only one but when I wet my heatlaxed hair I don't see the change right now.

After my first session I went to the beach... :rolleyes:
So my hair has reverted right away, I saw no difference. Next day usual shrinkage still no difference But three days after I notice a slight change.
why I did not see it right away?

ooops maybe it would be better to ask in the support forum

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.