Shea Moisture Product Line ??

MrJohnsonsRib

Has anyone tried this product line before? I was in Target yesterday and passed one of those end of the aisle displays. I saw Miss Jessie's products and yeah they can go somewhere with this whole $58 for a jar of cream that has Petrolatum and Mineral Oil in it, like why so expensive when you selling some fillers? Anyway I saw some Shea Moisture stuff, but by the time I caught it in my eye I had already given up on the rack due to the high prices.

Later that night, I had to get my daughter's prescription filled in Walgreen's because I had just taken her home from having reconstructive surgery on her deformed foot (can't wait to see what's under the bandages) and I paced the store out of boredom. I saw the Shea Moisture line once again and I thought "where did I see this jar?" (Target!). I was ready to roll my eyes because "What good natural product can be in Walgreen's for $10 a piece?" Well that one of course! The label was pretty darn good from my okay knowledge of ingredients to avoid and the best part, I got printed a $3 coupon toward my next purchase. I am so itching to try that cream because I need an inexpensive moisturizer that I don't have to wait to get in the mail (Oyin's only drawback to me). So Who has tried it? Loved? Liked? Not impressed?

I am mostly 4A (who knew you could have multiple hair types,lol!) I am scraping shoulder length when stretched and live in Nebraska where it snows and has T' Storms galore and some hot days, not really humid at all like my hometown in Florida...Thanks for all your input ladies. :yep:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I have heard good reviews and bad. I hated their prods. But I gave my bottles away to a fellow poster who loves them.

I think it's a try and see proposition with them.

(I'm 3c/4a texlax and hate the prods so I Tried them on my son who is 3c natural and his hair hated them too)

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I bought the Restorative Exlir (Oil in a Spray Bottle) on a 'whim' one day racing through Tar'Get and the Line just happen to be sitting on an End-Cap.:look:

I liked the Restorative Exlir and would possibly repurchase.:yep:

I liked having an Oil in a Spray Bottle (like Darcy's Botancials) It smelled great and worked well.

Yeah, I'd rebuy it.:grin:

lushcoils

My hair loves the curl smoothie sealed with castor oil for sealing in moisture. It has silk protein in it, so if your hair is protein sensitive, be careful. I'm my hair a 4b protein lover.

NaturalEnigma

You should try the sample pack. They sell it at Walgreens and Rite Aid. You'll get the whole line in 4 oz containers. I believe he has 3 lines not sure. I brought my sample pack for $20. I choose the organic coconut and hibiscus line, and received the shampoo, hold and shine mist spray, curl and style milk and the curl enhancing smoothie. I hated everything but the curl and shine shampoo. The shampoo was very moisturizing, and a little goes a long way. The smoothie and milk were too thick in my opinion, it didn't seem to absorb into my hair and the hold and shine mist made my hair hard.

greenandchic

I purchased Shea Moisture products during Walgreen's buy one, get one sale they were having several months ago and I fell in love with the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Restorative Exlir, Moisture Retention Shampoo and the Curl & Style Milk. I wasn't crazy about the Deep Treatment Masque.

My hair is 4a/3c mix and more importantly, medium density, porous with fine to medium strands. It loves oils and heavy butters in general.

NIN4eva

I used the deep treatment mask yesterday. The texture is a too dry for my liking and I will not repurchase again. I'll add olive oil to finish off the rest of the jar. It smells fantastic though. I'm going to try a few of the other products Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Curl & Style Milk, etc because I love products that smell great.

ManeStreet

I love it. Its a great line in my opinion. When I was transitioning and still had relaxed ends I didn't like it but once I became fully natural, I was in love. Walgreens has a lot of reviews for it on their website. Check those out too.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
I'm relaxed with 4a/3c mix and I like the hibiscus coconut leave-in. I added a lil aloe vera juice to it and it works great. I usually use darcy's botanicals lemongrass coconut transitioning cream as my leave-in but I've now switched to shea moisture.

greenandchic

I used the deep treatment mask yesterday. The texture is a too dry for my liking and I will not repurchase again. I'll add olive oil to finish off the rest of the jar. It smells fantastic though. I'm going to try a few of the other products Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Curl & Style Milk, etc because I love products that smell great.

To finish mine off, I mixed a little regular conditioners each time I did a DC. and that helped a lot. It also worked with twist-outs.

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
My hair absolutely LOVES the Shea Moisture: Moisture Retention Shampoo and it has become a staple of mine.

It is sulfate free and has Argan Oil in it. It leaves my thick, and sometimes dry, relaxed hair so soft and easy to detangle.

Seraphina

I love the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I use it as both a holding product when I do twist- or braid-outs and I also just use it as a moisturizer. It's a staple for me now.

I use the Moisture Retention Shampoo and it works pretty well...I don't use cones though, I don't think it would be enough for those who do use cones.

The Deep Treatment Masque also did nothing for me as a DC and I think every review of it that I've seen has said the same thing. It does work okay as a leave-in, though.

MrJohnsonsRib

Thank you so much ladies. So how does the "sample pack" look like? I didn't see it in the Walgreen's. I may need to stop by the Target and see what they got. :) I really appreciate the reviews. I didn't think to check the site for reviews. I am looking now. I am pretty set on purchasing. I will more than likely still use Oyin as a alternate so my hair doesn't get "immune" to one product. I hear that can sort of happen to people. I will tell my friend because she was curious too.

AMAKA127

Def give the curl enhancing smoothie and the hair masque a shot. One mistake I made when I first tried the curl enhancing smoothie was using too much product. Less is def more when it comes to this product. But yes absolutely go for it ... I have 4A hair if that helps

reeko43

I like the moisture retention shampoo. A little goes a long way. I would buy again. Don't like the deep treatment masque. For some reason when I used it my hair matted and took forever to detangle. Now I just add a little to whatever I am deep conditioning with. Will not purchase again.

fivetimestwo

So far I've only tried the Coconut and Hibiscus style milk and my hair absolutely LOVES it! I am anxious to try some of their other products now :yep:

Honey Bee

I like the moisture retention shampoo. A little goes a long way. I would buy again. Don't like the deep treatment masque. For some reason when I used it my hair matted and took forever to detangle. Now I just add a little to whatever I am deep conditioning with. Will not purchase again.
Me too. :ohwell:

13StepsAhead

The yucca and aloe milk is my absolute fav from the line. I also love the raw Shea leave-in (not sold in target/walgreens), hold and shine mist and the curl and style milk.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

NaturalEnigma

Thank you so much ladies. So how does the "sample pack" look like? I didn't see it in the Walgreen's. I may need to stop by the Target and see what they got. :) I really appreciate the reviews. I didn't think to check the site for reviews. I am looking now. I am pretty set on purchasing. I will more than likely still use Oyin as a alternate so my hair doesn't get "immune" to one product. I hear that can sort of happen to people. I will tell my friend because she was curious too.

The sample pack might not be in every Walgreens. They have it on their website though. Here are the links.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/shea-moisture-organic-curl-&-shine-kit/ID=prod6057765-product

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/shea-moisture-hair-repair-&-transition-kit/ID=prod6057768-product

Last edited:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I only tried one thing from the line, the Deep Treatment Masque, and hated it so I'm scared to try anything else from them. I hear good things but I really don't have money to waste on garbage products.

iri9109

i really like the curl enhancing smoothie...the curl &style milk is ok, but its oiler and less thick than the smoothie, and you get less for the same price. i liked the shine & hold mist but i went through that bottle really quick so i think its cheaper to make my own spritzes...i might get another bottle and just add a little to my spritzes for scent ...the yucca and baobab anti breakage mask was good as well as the growth milk, but i hated the smell of those 2...the deep treatment mask sucks as a DC but i like it as a moisturizer and its the only thing i use on my mom & sister's twists/twist-outs...the restorative elixir is good, especially on straightened hair and i like the way it sprays out, but the bottle is kinda small in comparison to their other products...the restorative condish was ok, i used it as a leave-in, but i probably wouldn't repurchase...i want to try the african black soap line from them, but i'm waiting for the next BOGO, whenever that is...i heard the company took a loss from that so it probably wont happen again soon. every time im in walgreens i think about buying something, but i remember that i only paid $5 the 1st time, and i dont wanna pay full price lol.

MyCoilsGoBoing

I have 4a hair and I've tried the curl enhancing smoothie. I use it to help smooth my edges. Like someone else mentioned, it's really good for defining braidouts and twistouts.

Jenko

Shea Moisture was a love hate for me. The shampoo was awesome and smelled nice but the leave in wasn't really moisturizing. As soon as it dried, my hair was thirsty and beginning for water in an hour or two. My hair is 3c/4a mixture.

LoveTheSkinImIn

Random: I think it's funny you pointed out that $58 jar of Miss Jessie's cuz my best friend just went on a rant that was almost the exact same as yours lol

nisemac

so far, i love the products i've tried.

coconut hibiscus shampoo---love it. doesn't dry my hair out.

deep treatment mask--first time i tried it, like others i felt it kinda matted my hair. but at the time, i was in desperate need of a trim and clarifying. once i did that, seemed totally different. my hair loves it more as a leave-in/styling product.

reconstructive elixir--really like that its in a spray bottle. and a little goes a long way.

shea butter--i have the frankincense and myrrh. i use it to seal.

hold and shine hair moisture mist--this was ok....i used to use it to style my hair in the morning. i cut it with a bit of water...but i could use water and then follow up with oil or butter and get the same effect.

of course, this was on a wng twa.

allmundjoi

I LOVE the SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie for my twistouts/chunky 'fro. I might go as far as to say that I love it more than my QB AOHC and OHHB mix...yea, I said it. Lol. I love the sulfate-free, natural shampoos Curl & Shine and Moisture Retention too. These are staples.