shedding

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
My hair is shedding a lot but I was wondering if someone knows how to stop it. I need some serious help.

sweetcocoa

More than likley your shedding is due to the dry cold weather we've been having. When I had a problem with shedding 2 yrs ago, I had success with Motions CPR mixed with a little olive oil (I sat under the dryer with a plastic cap for 20 minutes). I did this every shampoo until the shedding stopped. I also only air dryed.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
In Carolyn Gray's newsletter #1 (she is the author of " The Black Woman's Guide to Beautiful Healthier Hair in Six Weeks ") she discusses shedding. In a nutshell, she says:

Make sure your relaxer is being applied correctly--no overlapping and follow immediately with a deep conditioner.

Shampoo regularly with products designed for your hair type.

Deep condition at least 3-4x per month with heat for at least 15 minutes. Follow up with a good leave-in conditioner to minimize the dryness that can lead to breakage and shedding.

Let hair dry naturally.

Limit curling iron, flat iron, hot roller use to no more than 2x per week.

At night sleep with the hair covered by a satin cap.

Using your fingers as much as possible, detangle hair from the ends and work your way up.

Oil your scalp once a week.

*She recommends products in her book and in her website updates.

Carolyn Gray

adrienne0914

my shedding was caused by the pill. no amount of TLC would make it stop. i had to stop taking it. if it's from the weather change, i definitely think the stuff posted by sassygirl will help! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
actually i do all of the things sassy girl suggested. also I live in southern california so its humid its has just receently been dry with the heat wave we are experiencing. And I also use CPR religiously and I mix olive oil ino my conditioner.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
If your treating your hair with tlc and eating a healthy diet and/or taking vitamins you should see a doctor if you are losing more than 100 strands (I think that's the #...) per day.

Nyambura

surfer girl
((luvhair))
the other posters have given good advice. the only thing i would add is that i have found msm (methylsulfonylmethane) a blessing for ceasing shedding. although some people have had adverse physical reactions (headaches, acne, etc.), i have been fortunate enough to have taken msm w/o incident.

good luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif