Short-haired Ladies...phoney ponies/buns

princessdi

I have below the ear length hair in the front (almost jaw length in areas--it was cut that way--longer in the front than in the back) and probably about 5 or 6 inches of hair in the back with about 1 1/2 inches shaved at the neck. I have been wearing a drawstring phoney pony (human hair about 12 inches) for my protective wear and am able to get the hair in the top in a ponytail to protect with a baggie, but the bottom half is not long enough to put up, so I have been securing that hair with bobby pins.:( My concern is that the hair in the back will dry out during the day because it's not covered and bagged like the top. I could pull all of my hair down and have a low bun/poneytail, but I really like the high ponytail. I should also mention that my bang in the front had to be cut really, really short because of really bad breakage and is no longer than 3 inches (big mess) and can't be pulled back with the top and sides to protect. The high ponytail allows me to at least cover the back and allows me to put a cotton band to cover the hair that sticks up in the front (which also concerns me). Bottom line, the high ponytail takes people's focus off the fact that my hair is in terrible shape.:confused: It at least allows me to still glow and look good.

To get to the point, what can I do to protect the part that's no long enough to put up and bag. I have been spraying UBH's Dew spray on it throughout the day, but I'm still concerned that it will dry out and break off. Any suggestions on how I can protect the exposed hair that's not long enough to put up?

My hair went from being bottom of my neck length to being this short in less than 2 months. My hair dresser really did a job on me. She put a rinse in my hair and it broke off something terrible. I have been down for quite some time and now I have renewed hope thanks to LHCF. Ladies please help.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Missing my hair healthy hair:(

balisi

First of all, ditch the cotton hair accessories. There are plenty of non-cotton hairbands available.

Second, I think you're worrying needlessly. Keep in mind that the shorter hair in your nape is the newest hair on your head, and therefore pretty strong. As long as you condition and lubricate it regularly, it should be just fine pinned up. You still might want to vary the location of your ponytail from time to time, to prevent or minimize damage.

princessdi

Thank you. I will get rid of the cotton headband and move my ponytail around. I've seen people put hair gels on their head and sit under a dryer to dry and then put their hair in a phoney pony. Do you recommend this for keep the hair that is not long enough in?

balisi

princessdi said:
Thank you. I will get rid of the cotton headband and move my ponytail around. I've seen people put hair gels on their head and sit under a dryer to dry and then put their hair in a phoney pony. Do you recommend this for keep the hair that is not long enough in?
I don't advocate the use of gels on a regular basis, but once in a while, with a non-alcoholic gel, is fine. Another, gel-less option is to flat-twist the front (bangs and all) into your pony.

PaperClip

With regard to the breakage on the nape, if I understood you correctly: if your in the cooler months where you live, do you wear a scarf, if so, what kind? A wool scarf or jacket/coat will eat away that hair at the nape as well re. friction.

princessdi

No, I don't wear scarfs or things like that, I have only been wearing my cotton head band which I'm giving up. I don't have breakage at the nape, I'm just concerned that wearing my phoney pony with my really short hair being exposed will dry it out and cause it to break. I wished I could bag it like the top to hold the moisture.