Short hairs sticking out of twist?

NappyMD

I hope you ladies can help me. I have been doing 2 strand twists for years, and recently added twists with extensions to my repetoire. They looked great and would last for weeks-months (depending on whether there were extension)

A few months ago, I realized I had these short hairs like 2 inches long sticking up from areas around the twist that were not incorporated. They appear a few days after twisting so they are not brand new. I don't know if they are broken or maybe even new hairs (been using megatek), but they are ruining my easy style, DH barely likes it anymore :cry:

What can I do to figure out if it's breakage and what can I do to save my style/what can I switch to?

TIA

ETA: it's like the hairs are so short that they slip out of the twist. Seems to happen even without extensions

Last edited:
I get this happening too but mostly down toward the ends of the twists. Usually some heavy product while twisting it will help keep it together. It would really help if I could see a pic.
I also think that sometimes (especially with extensions) it it the natural hair shrinking inside of the twist...as it shrinks, sometimes some of the ends pop out to say hi.

When you are twisting, make sure you twirl the hair around your finger as you twist it, if you do this using some product (my go to item is Bee Mine Curly Butter) you should have fewer ends popping out.
This is my video for kinky twists installation, somewhere in it I demonstrate the twirling action.

Thanks Mook!

I have been using jamaican mango & lime locking gel, but I didn't have this problem for the first few months of twisting :ohwell:

Here are some pics :nono:

Attachments

• hair1.jpg
    hair1.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 41
  • hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 51
I get this happening too but mostly down toward the ends of the twists. Usually some heavy product while twisting it will help keep it together. It would really help if I could see a pic.
I also think that sometimes (especially with extensions) it it the natural hair shrinking inside of the twist...as it shrinks, sometimes some of the ends pop out to say hi.

When you are twisting, make sure you twirl the hair around your finger as you twist it, if you do this using some product (my go to item is Bee Mine Curly Butter) you should have fewer ends popping out.
This is my video for kinky twists installation, somewhere in it I demonstrate the twirling action.

I agree with the bolded.. That's really important in making your twists look neat. Either twirling around the finger or rolling it between your finger while twisting is the best.

That happens to be...some form of holding agent and twirling it (like Mook said) helps, but no matter what...mine eventually come back out. I figure it is just because my hair is so uneven. (The smaller my twists the less of a problem that I have)

Here are some pics :nono:

Aww...I love those things. It's the fuzz I keep telling everyone I like to see. I do twirl before twisting but after about 8 washes (4 weeks), my twist look like that and I absolutely wuv it!

Aww...I love those things. It's the fuzz I keep telling everyone I like to see. I do twirl before twisting but after about 8 washes (4 weeks), my twist look like that and I absolutely wuv it!

I like the fuzzy look too. Maybe too much because I always start spritzing freshly done twists to hasten its arrival :lachen:

Thanks all, I like puffy twists but I don't like seeing the fuzz on the crown. And where do the short hairs come from since they weren't there before :perplexed?

Thanks all, I like puffy twists but I don't like seeing the fuzz on the crown. And where do the short hairs come from since they weren't there before :perplexed?

The short hairs I have are from breakage(mostly from my hair snapping off when I comb it while doing wet sets)Do you use fine tooth combs?

Back