SHOULD I GET A WEAVE TO HELP ME STRETCH TILL JUNE 08 AND GET TO APL BY JUNE 08? HELP!

latingirly020488

I STARTED READING YESTERDAY HOW SOME LADIES GOT REALLY GOOD GROWTHS BY WEARING HAIR WEAVES . AND I KNOW FOR MY SELF THAT WHEN THE FRONT OF MY HAIR WAS BROKEN BECAUSE OF THE HAIR LOCS HAIR EXTENSIONS , I GOT A WEAVE AND THE FRONT OF MY HAIR WENT FROM 2 INCHES TO UP TO MY CHEEK RIGHT NOW . IM REALLY THINKING OF GETTING ONE SO THAT IT CAN HELP ME STRETCH MY NOW 18 WEEKS POST NEW GROWTH . I WAS PLANNING TO STRETCH TILL JUNE 08 , AND HOPEFULLY ALSO MEETING MY APL GOAL BY THEN AS WELL , I AM 2-3 INCHES AWAY FROM APL . LADIES I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK I SHOULD DO ??? AND IF YOU HAIR GREW FROM HAIR WEAVES AND YOUR IN NYC WHERE DID U GO ? DID THIS STYLIST KNOW ABOUT PROPER HAIR CARE ???? IF YOU CAN POSSIBLE RECOMMEND ANY STYLIST IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !! :yep:

PS. I KNOW RENIECE HAS HELPED A LOT OF LADIES , BUT SHE IS TOO FAR FROM ME AND THAT PRICES ARE NOT IN MY BUDGET.

TIA!

http://public.fotki.com/latingirly112484/

Re: SHOULD I GET A WEAVE TO HELP ME STRETCH TILL JUNE 08 AND GET TO APL BY JUNE 08? H

I would definitely get a weave and then keep GOOD care of my hair up under it. I think it would be beneficial, if you care for your hair properly, take vitamins and maintain good health.

Re: SHOULD I GET A WEAVE TO HELP ME STRETCH TILL JUNE 08 AND GET TO APL BY JUNE 08? H

I would relax. Especially if you 10 weeks post. Sometimes stretching does more damage to your hair than good. And if you put it in a weave you need to be militant about taking care of your hair under the weave. You might get a lot of growth, but you might get a lot of breakage. Your ends could be all dry and breaking off.

I say this, because I've been there and done that. It happened to me and it was a sad day.

I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO , BUT SO FAR I HAVE NEVER STRETCHED THIS LONG AND NO BREAKAGE MY HAIR IS HEALTHIER THAN EVER , I HAVE BEEN TAKING GOOD CARE OF THE NEW GROWTH ... THANKS FOR THE THE OPINIONS GOOD OR BAD I APRECIATE IT .. BUMPING FOR MORE RESPONSES .

I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO , BUT SO FAR I HAVE NEVER STRETCHED THIS LONG AND NO BREAKAGE MY HAIR IS HEALTHIER THAN EVER , I HAVE BEEN TAKING GOOD CARE OF THE NEW GROWTH ... THANKS FOR THE THE OPINIONS GOOD OR BAD I APRECIATE IT .. BUMPING FOR MORE RESPONSES .

Wow! Lol. It's only two people above. So one of us gave a bad opinion? Lol My bad if it was me. It was just my personal experience. Advice usually comes from someones personal experience. Hahaha Sowwwwy.

Well, hope it works out for you.

I got good growth with weaves but I also got alot of breakage because I wasn't able to take care of my hair underneath. If you think you can care for your hair properly then go fo it, if not, wash and dc often, moisturise well and wear in protective styles. If you are in any doubt whatsoever about your ability to take care of your own hair, don't do it:nono:

OH NO LOL!! I DIDN;T MEAN IN A BAD WAY ... WHAT I MEAN WAS GOOD OR BAD EXPERIENCES !! I LOVE YOUR HONESTY AND YOUR RESPONSE.. MAYBE I WORDED IT THE WRONG WAY ,.. BUT IN NO MEANS WAS YOUR ANSWER A BAD ANSWER ,, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD ANSWER .

Wow! Lol. It's only two people above. So one of us gave a bad opinion? Lol My bad if it was me. It was just my personal experience. Advice usually comes from someones personal experience. Hahaha Sowwwwy.

Well, hope it works out for you.

I would say a sew in is good as long as you are able to take care of that hair underneath. It is very important to make sure you are not getting any breakage due to the stretch as well. I am trying to stretch for 6 months. Have you thought of kinky twists, braids, or wearing wigs. I am currently wearing wigs and that helps so much because I just braid my hair underneath and leave it alone. I am thinking of getting kinky twists to get me through to the end of this stretch (June 7th). While on a long stretch it is vital for me to keep the balance of moisture and protein so that my hair is not weakend and breakage begins. I hope you are able to decide what is best for your hair. Btw, thanks for the add on fotki. I know you will be able to continue on with your stretch and achieve your goals. Good luck, Hon!:grin:

that is totally what im going to do.........3/8 im getting the front cornrowed and the back sewn in. and im leaving it in until 6/7!!! but i do agree you should keep up with the hair underneath.i personally have never had a setback from weaves only growth and i never really did anything except slap them in and leave it alone...but i think i would get more growth if i moisturized and kept my scalp clean!!! what i plan on doing is making a moisturizing mix with s-curl, cactus moisturizer, infusim 23 moisturizing, and if i can find it glycerin (have heard good things about glycerin) and using my MN mix, vatika, coconut, and cactus oil for growth and to keep the moisture in. i cant stretch w/o weaves like someone said stretching isnt for everyone if my hair isnt braided it breaks when i stretch!!

I would say a sew in is good as long as you are able to take care of that hair underneath. It is very important to make sure you are not getting any breakage due to the stretch as well. I am trying to stretch for 6 months. Have you thought of kinky twists, braids, or wearing wigs. I am currently wearing wigs and that helps so much because I just braid my hair underneath and leave it alone. I am thinking of getting kinky twists to get me through to the end of this stretch (June 7th). While on a long stretch it is vital for me to keep the balance of moisture and protein so that my hair is not weakend and breakage begins. I hope you are able to decide what is best for your hair. Btw, thanks for the add on fotki. I know you will be able to continue on with your stretch and achieve your goals. Good luck, Hon!:grin:

OHHH I LOVE YOUR HAIR! GOOD JOB , I REALLY DO THINK THAT I CAN TAKE CARE OF MY HAIR UNDERNEATH ., BUT IF I CAN FIND A STYLIST LIKE RENIECE HERE IN NYC THAT CAN TAKE OF MY HAIR UNDERNEATH IT WOULD BE IDEAL ! AGAIN I THANK ALL OF YOU LADIES IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HONEST RESPONSES. :yep: I HAVE THOUGHT OF IT ALL HONESTLY LOL ., BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ! HOW MANY WEEKS POST ARE YOU ?

that is totally what im going to do.........3/8 im getting the front cornrowed and the back sewn in. and im leaving it in until 6/7!!! but i do agree you should keep up with the hair underneath.i personally have never had a setback from weaves only growth and i never really did anything except slap them in and leave it alone...but i think i would get more growth if i moisturized and kept my scalp clean!!! what i plan on doing is making a moisturizing mix with s-curl, cactus moisturizer, infusim 23 moisturizing, and if i can find it glycerin (have heard good things about glycerin) and using my MN mix, vatika, coconut, and cactus oil for growth and to keep the moisture in. i cant stretch w/o weaves like someone said stretching isnt for everyone if my hair isnt braided it breaks when i stretch!!

SAME THING HERE , I WANT TO LEAVE IT TILL JUNE 07 , BECAUSE IM LEAVING TO SPAIN JUNE 11 AND I WANT TO HAVE SWINGING HAIR BY THEN .. HOPEFULLY APL! BUT I REALLY WANT TO FIND A STYLIST IN THE NYC AREA THAT CAN TAKE CARE OF MY HAIR UNDERNEATH THE EXTENSIONS AND WONT CHARGE AN ARM AND A LEG TO DO IT .. IM ON THE AYURVEDIC BAND WAGON AS WELL AND IT HAS REALLY HELPED MY HAIR .

Get the weave..I went from CBL to 2 inches away from APL with a weave and stretching for 5 months. I recently trimmed my hair to an even blunt SL cut so that I can grow my hair out even and healthy. BUt a weave def. worked for me. I am doing it again now. Right now I am giving my hair a week break with daily co-washes but Im puttin a weave in it this friday.

SAME THING HERE , I WANT TO LEAVE IT TILL JUNE 07 , BECAUSE IM LEAVING TO SPAIN JUNE 11 AND I WANT TO HAVE SWINGING HAIR BY THEN .. HOPEFULLY APL! BUT I REALLY WANT TO FIND A STYLIST IN THE NYC AREA THAT CAN TAKE CARE OF MY HAIR UNDERNEATH THE EXTENSIONS AND WONT CHARGE AN ARM AND A LEG TO DO IT .. IM ON THE AYURVEDIC BAND WAGON AS WELL AND IT HAS REALLY HELPED MY HAIR .

well another board member recommended mike at mo's hair salon to me and he's GREAT........he does weaves relaxers everything and awesomely....he's in manhattan......i went to him once (recently last w/e...not a long time ago) and he did such a good job im going back to get my tu in june and he's so competent that im going to let him dust it 4 me....he answered all my questions listnened to all my whining about how my hair has been breaking from stretching and reassured me didnt try to get me to do neething i wasnt ready 4 (trimming/ dusting whatever u wanna call it) and everybody there is awesome...the lady next to him was grooming a weave she had done on a girl earlier and until i saw her with the string i never knew it was a weave!!!!i was like dayumm that girl has some gawjus hair...i was like why is she scoping my little bit past shoulder length head.then she sat next to me to get her weave groomed and i saw it was a weave but they washed her conditioned her (this is all in a weave now) and groomed her weave i was like niiiccee. i would love to go to him for my weave but me and the SO are really on a budget and he would murder me if i went to the city again after only 2 weeks!!! but pm me if you want his info!!

OHHH I LOVE YOUR HAIR! GOOD JOB , I REALLY DO THINK THAT I CAN TAKE CARE OF MY HAIR UNDERNEATH ., BUT IF I CAN FIND A STYLIST LIKE RENIECE HERE IN NYC THAT CAN TAKE OF MY HAIR UNDERNEATH IT WOULD BE IDEAL ! AGAIN I THANK ALL OF YOU LADIES IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HONEST RESPONSES. :yep: I HAVE THOUGHT OF IT ALL HONESTLY LOL ., BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ! HOW MANY WEEKS POST ARE YOU ?

Yes, that would be great if you can get reniece to take care of your weave and hair underneath. I am will be 10 weeks post this week. I am getting through it with a breeze. I am wigging it up and it makes it so much easier. I find I have to use more protien due to the stretch. Thank you for your kind words. :grin:

Get the weave..I went from CBL to 2 inches away from APL with a weave and stretching for 5 months. I recently trimmed my hair to an even blunt SL cut so that I can grow my hair out even and healthy. BUt a weave def. worked for me. I am doing it again now. Right now I am giving my hair a week break with daily co-washes but Im puttin a weave in it this friday.

THANKS!! I THINK I AM GONNA GO FOR IT !! MY LAST RELAXER WAS NOVEMBER 10TH AND I HAD RECENTLY GOTTEN MY HAIR BLOWED OUT FEB 14TH 08 AND MY HAIR IS LONGER YOU CAN CHECK MY FOTKI

I would relax. Especially if you 10 weeks post. Sometimes stretching does more damage to your hair than good. And if you put it in a weave you need to be militant about taking care of your hair under the weave. You might get a lot of growth, but you might get a lot of breakage. Your ends could be all dry and breaking off.

I say this, because I've been there and done that. It happened to me and it was a sad day.

I totally agree with with the above statement. If you are not transitioning why such a long strech?? Streching is not for eveyone, and if your not sure if you can strech for long periods of time do not take the chance at this point in time. You have had great growth recently!

Some people's new growth is very strong and it breaks the relaxed ends off. This is what happens to me if I strech for very long periods of time.

I strech, but not for months on end. The most I can strech is about 3 months (and even then I may get breaking).

If you decide to get a weave, try it out for 4 weeks first, take it out and analyze your hair at that time. If it's doing well, continue with the weave, if not then you know what to do girl.

I wish you the best of luck

Last edited:

I totally agree with with the above statement. If you are not transitioning why such a long strech?? Streching is not for eveyone, and if your not sure if you can strech for long periods of time do not take the chance at this point in time. You have had great growth recently!

Some people's new growth is very strong and it breaks the relaxed ends off. This is what happens to me if I strech for very long periods of time.

I strech, but not for months on end. The most I can strech is about 3 months (and even then I may get breaking).

If you decide to get a weave, try it out for 4 weeks first, take it out and analyze your hair at that time. If it's doing well, continue with the weave, if not then you know what to do girl.

THANK YOU!! I JUST LOVE GETTING ADVICED FROM YOU LADIES! I WILL DEFINETLY TRY IT FOR THE 4 WEEKS AND SEE HOW IT GOES , IF ITS NOT FOR ME THEN IT;S NOT AND I WONT FORCE IT BECAUSE I AM TRYING SO HARD TO MAKE IT TO APL BY JUNE 08 FOR MY SPAIN TRIP. YOUR RIGHT ABOUT SOME PEOPLE'S NEWGROWTH BEING VERY STRONG, MY SISTER DRJO91 HAD BREAKAGE ON HER 5 MONTH STRETCH , HER TEXTURE IS A LITTLE MORE THICK THAN MINES IS , AND SHE IS CUTTING DOWN ON STRETCHING BECAUSE OF IT. THANKS A LOT I WILL TRY THIS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS .

LOL... I don't think you need a weave to get the results you are looking for. :nono: But it definately seems like you really want one. :yep:

If u want a weave, then just make sure that u know how to take care of your real hair underneath the weave. :yep: However, you should be able to keep ur hair just as healthy w/o a weave IMO. How do u plan to manage ur new growth under the weave?

IMO, it isn't a good a idea to stretch that long unless you are accustomed to stretching and/or have your regi down pat. How long do usually wait b/t touchups? You can try adding about 2 weeks to that time and just keep your hair in protective styles.

Ohh, I didn't see this post. ITA

IMO, it isn't a good a idea to stretch that long unless you are accustomed to stretching and/or have your regi down pat. How long do usually wait b/t touchups? You can try adding about 2 weeks to that time and just keep your hair in protective styles.

Exactly! that is whty I stretch with a weave and recommend that you get one. I retained alot of growth under my weave. Also, I believe that longer stretches teaches your hair diligence and somehow, gives it more strength. This is just in my observation of my hair.

i have been wearing weaves for the past 1 year and have had pretty good growth from it. I dont really take care of my hair underneath, wash when i wanna, moisturize when i feel. In october (last time i got my weave re-done :nono: i know i need to get this out of my head). I had massive new growth to the point that even my stylist was shocked. She had to tell me to go look at how much it grew, i was amazed. So when i get this out (which will make me 4months post:wallbash:) i will see how my hair is REALLY doing. I would never be able to stretch this long with out the weave. So good luck to you, and do what you feel is best for your hair

Get out of my head. I was thinking the same thing. I am natural and 2.5 inches away from AL and I want to make it with thicker hair. I just got over my frustration hump after I switched up my products. I have had good results with weaves in the past but didnt know proper hair care. Now that I do, i wonder what results I would get this time around. :rolleyes:

I would go for it especially because it is an excellent way to retain length. Just a few things to remember, as a lot of the ladies already suggested - take care of your natural hair underneath by keeping it moisturized, try not to keep the weave in for more than 6 weeks at a time and when you do remove it, rest at least a week or 2 in between. During this time, you want to use a good protein treatment and deep condition often. This adds some strength as you go along and prepares the hair for another sew-in.

I myself is alternating my sew-ins and wig wearing until July this year. I like the versatility of the falls, the whole wigs and the sew-ins. I'm not too confident with braids so this is the route that works very well for me.

For my daily moisturizer, I have a bottle of Care Free Curl Gold that I mix with Kenra Daily Defense, glycerin and water, I shake it up and spray it directly on my natural hair to keep my hiar moisturized. This works very well for me too. With washing, I simply braid my sew-in in a ponytail, put some shampoo in a 32oz size applicator jug,shake it up and squeeze through my hair. I then use my nail tips to work it a little through my scalp and wash it out in the shower. I repeat this process with my moisturizing/protein conditioner. You can also DC like this to keep the roots soft.

Last edited:

I STARTED READING YESTERDAY HOW SOME LADIES GOT REALLY GOOD GROWTHS BY WEARING HAIR WEAVES . AND I KNOW FOR MY SELF THAT WHEN THE FRONT OF MY HAIR WAS BROKEN BECAUSE OF THE HAIR LOCS HAIR EXTENSIONS , I GOT A WEAVE AND THE FRONT OF MY HAIR WENT FROM 2 INCHES TO UP TO MY CHEEK RIGHT NOW . IM REALLY THINKING OF GETTING ONE SO THAT IT CAN HELP ME STRETCH MY NOW 18 WEEKS POST NEW GROWTH . I WAS PLANNING TO STRETCH TILL JUNE 08 , AND HOPEFULLY ALSO MEETING MY APL GOAL BY THEN AS WELL , I AM 2-3 INCHES AWAY FROM APL . LADIES I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK I SHOULD DO ??? AND IF YOU HAIR GREW FROM HAIR WEAVES AND YOUR IN NYC WHERE DID U GO ? DID THIS STYLIST KNOW ABOUT PROPER HAIR CARE ???? IF YOU CAN POSSIBLE RECOMMEND ANY STYLIST IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !! :yep:

PS. I KNOW RENIECE HAS HELPED A LOT OF LADIES , BUT SHE IS TOO FAR FROM ME AND THAT PRICES ARE NOT IN MY BUDGET.

TIA!

i think getting a weave would be a good idea. it's a good way to leave your hair alone for a while as it grows. but as it was mentioned before, you might want to relax first. since you're 18 weeks post already (WOW!), the new growth + the new growth you have now might be unbearable when it's time for the weave to come out.:yep:

and why are you yelling? (in internet speak all caps means yelling, screaming, or anger, plus all caps is more difficult to read than lowercase letters) :look:

OP you know you're stuck in all CAPS right?:perplexed

Exactly! that is whty I stretch with a weave and recommend that you get one. I retained alot of growth under my weave. Also, I believe that longer stretches teaches your hair diligence and somehow, gives it more strength. This is just in my observation of my hair.

Me or OP? Personally, I stretch up to 16 weeks by wearing half wigs and washing/detangling twice a week.

I think getting a weave is a great protective style, provided that you maintain your hair by continuing to wash and deep condition regularly. You can retain alot of length with this method since your ends are completely protected and aren't being manipulated at all.

About stretching, stretching is only bad if you're manipulating your hair frequently imo. You're not going to get any breakage if you're leaving your hair alone and sticking to your reggie to keep your hair moist and strong. If you want to rock a weave, there is no reason for you to relax since it is better to get a weave when you have new growth as opposed to just relaxed. After your hair is relaxed, your hair is too weak to withstand the tension that comes with rocking a weave. Also, some people choose to stretch for various reasons which include taking a break from chemicals. Nothing wrong with that at all.

You should check out Reneice's fotki. She grew her hair out with the help of weaves and stretching.

http://public.fotki.com/Reniece20/h...ir_growth_challenge/my_hair_growth_challenge/

Last edited:

I think getting a weave is a great protective style, provided that you maintain your hair by continuing to wash and deep condition regularly. You can retain alot of length with this method since your ends are completely protected and aren't being manipulated at all.

About stretching, stretching is only bad if you're manipulating your hair frequently imo. You're not going to get any breakage if you're leaving your hair alone and sticking to your reggie to keep your hair moist and strong. If you want to rock a weave, there is no reason for you to relax since it is better to get a weave when you have new growth as opposed to just relaxed. After your hair is relaxed, your hair is too weak to withstand the tension that comes with rocking a weave. Also, some people choose to stretch for various reasons which include taking a break from chemicals. Nothing wrong with that at all.

You should check out Reneice's fotki. She grew her hair out with the help of weaves and stretching.

http://public.fotki.com/Reniece20/h...ir_growth_challenge/my_hair_growth_challenge/

i have been stalking renieces page for like 2 years , but she is far from and the price is not in my budget. I already made my appointment with my stylist for this saturday and she has also told me that as long as I have a sewn in I dont need a relaxer because it wud damage my hair . My stylist charges me only $120 and she does an excellent Job . But I do love the way reniece takes care of her customers hair .. if her prices were a little cheaper I wud prob sacrifice and go to Maryland ( i am in new york city) . I stalk her fotki every day lol .

i think getting a weave would be a good idea. it's a good way to leave your hair alone for a while as it grows. but as it was mentioned before, you might want to relax first. since you're 18 weeks post already (WOW!), the new growth + the new growth you have now might be unbearable when it's time for the weave to come out.:yep:

and why are you yelling? (in internet speak all caps means yelling, screaming, or anger, plus all caps is more difficult to read than lowercase letters) :look:

ok lmao .. no more caps lol . your hilarious.

Back