Should I Wait To Relax???

eurka007

I haven't relaxed since January 15th... and every since I had a bad experience with a protein treatment :wallbash: my hair has been too thick to wrap and my silk wrap falls off at night over my pony tail causing my hair to be dry and brittle in the morning...

I know you shouldn't relax to repair damage, but my hair is so thick right now I can barely take care of it...

I bought silk elements megasilk with olive oil today but Im worried my hair isnt healthy enough to be relaxed...:perplexed

do you think my hair will be better or worst after the relaxer???
and thanks in advance

Last edited:
So you're doing a corrective relaxer? You mean this year (2010) January 15th you haven't relaxed? Or you stretched that long from January 09?

I'm waiting to hear what others say if it's a corrective you mean since I have the same question. I relaxed on 1/13 and that turned out underprocessed and I'm trying to wait at least another week to relax again.

So you're doing a corrective relaxer? You mean this year (2010) January 15th you haven't relaxed? Or you stretched that long from January 09?

I'm waiting to hear what others say if it's a corrective you mean since I have the same question. I relaxed on 1/13 and that turned out underprocessed and I'm trying to wait at least another week to relax again.

yeah, my hair is not even close to relaxed in the middle of my hair and straight in the front so I need a corrective relaxer too.. I meant this year, if I stretched that long I would have no clue what to do!!:perplexed

Im just worried because my hair has alot of new growth but it isnt the healthiest it could be right now

It sounds like you need moisture(deep conditioning treatment) eurka007. However like the poster above said we'll wait until you respond.

When was this relaxer and when did you have this protein treatment?

I wouldn't do it right now. Try DC'ing a few times with pure moisture and see if that helps soften. I would not relax hair that is brittle, it may snap right off!

If you are already fighting dry and brittle hair now, then relaxing is not going to help you at all.
I'd advise you to DC more frequently, moisturizing and sealing everyday, and wearing low manipulation hairstyles until you've seen some kind of improvement.

My only advice to to never use Dr. Miracle. Their products have disappointed me to many times, including under processing, burning and making ALL the skin on my hands peel and that's just one perm application. As far as the corrective I won't tell you what i'd do/have done because I can be pretty tough on my hair and have very high expectation from it. LOL Best of luck.

I had a problem with brittle hair after using a protein DC and the only thing that could take away that brittle feeling was clarifying my hair. After that it was all good. Clarify and then DC with a moisturizing conditioner. You may find that you can hold off on the relaxer a little while longer. I would suggest doing a corrective relaxer no sooner than four weeks after your last one.

My only advice to to never use Dr. Miracle. Their products have disappointed me to many times, including under processing, burning and making ALL the skin on my hands peel and that's just one perm application. As far as the corrective I won't tell you what i'd do/have done because I can be pretty tough on my hair and have very high expectation from it. LOL Best of luck.

yeah it was the first time i ever relaxed my hair myself, and it was the first time i decided to take out my extensions and wear my hair... i had HORRIBLE scabbing and my hair stuck to my head.... it was straight but it was dry too.... Im staying far far away from the stuff!!!:ohwell:

If you are already fighting dry and brittle hair now, then relaxing is not going to help you at all.
I'd advise you to DC more frequently, moisturizing and sealing everyday, and wearing low manipulation hairstyles until you've seen some kind of improvement.

Thanks!! you always give good advice, i appreciate it! and you do have a point, i dont know how relaxing it would make it better!! I decided to just do a DC and my hair is okay right now... I just need to find a better sealing oil :spinning:

I agree with the other ladies. You should wait and give your hair a chance to repair itself before adding more chemicals. What kind of protein treatment did you use? and did you follow up with a moisturizing condish right after?

I had a problem with brittle hair after using a protein DC and the only thing that could take away that brittle feeling was clarifying my hair. After that it was all good. Clarify and then DC with a moisturizing conditioner. You may find that you can hold off on the relaxer a little while longer. I would suggest doing a corrective relaxer no sooner than four weeks after your last one.

THANKS!!! I took your advice and used clarifying shampoo and DC and its starting to look and feel better; and your right I think I can go a little longer before I relax again, I just needed to get some more moisture in my hair

I agree with the other ladies. You should wait and give your hair a chance to repair itself before adding more chemicals. What kind of protein treatment did you use? and did you follow up with a moisturizing condish right after?

I used joico k-pak and it was REALLY strong on my hair. And nope I didnt follow up with a DC, so I ran crying and screaming to LHCF and they explained to me that that was the reason my hair was so dried out and brittle...

ever since then its been a challenge getting it moisturized again but I am seeing progress. I think you all are right, I decided against relaxing until my hair is healthy and balanced :yep:

yeah, my hair is not even close to relaxed in the middle of my hair and straight in the front so I need a corrective relaxer too.. I meant this year, if I stretched that long I would have no clue what to do!!:perplexed

Im just worried because my hair has alot of new growth but it isnt the healthiest it could be right now

how much ng do u have in just 3 weeks?

cause my hair grows about a half inch a month so in that time id only have about 3/8ths of an inch which isnt all that much

how much ng do u have in just 3 weeks?

cause my hair grows about a half inch a month so in that time id only have about 3/8ths of an inch which isn't all that much

Its not so much the new growth, my hair grows pretty fast but I have alot of hair that is accidentally texlaxed which is hard to manage and not the same texture of the rest of my hair... I think I'm going to wait though.. I really want my hair to be straight, but I cant have straight hair if it isn't on my head because I straightened it when it was unhealthy

Drop the creamy crack. It is much too soon for you to relax right now. You will see even more breakage. Also, Dr Miracles...where to begin on that one. Just stay away from any perm that claims to be a miracle because most likely it will be a disaster. Wait at least 8 weeks before doing another relaxer. First and foremost, you need to give your hair time to repair from such a harsh process.

I just realized that I have been saying my last relaxer was 01/15/10 but it was actually 12/15/09... but I still do not need another relaxer... kind of makes me wonder why I used to get them so frequently...

thanks for the advice everybody!!

Back