Should there be a dress code for church?

missyT

What do you think? This has always been an issue that plagued me but I can't seem to make up my mind, so maybe you can help me.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I remember reading in the Bible where it states "Come as You are."

But at my church I do notice that there are some women who come dressed like they are going to the club. :look: I can't judge them though.

bludacious

The bible says "Come as you are!" On a personal note, I believe God has blessed me with church attires (outfits that I see fit for church). God has blessed me with this and I think I shouldn't give him anything less than the best! I can only speak for myself. On the other hand, I don't think clothing will get you into heaven. We came in this world without clothing and we will leave without clothing. Clothing will not travel with me into eternal life. So, I think that Church shouldn't have a dress code.

Last edited:

MomofThreeBoys

Not for new believers and new members, but for church leaders and church office holders, absolutely yes!

I an not trying to see your :blondboob in church! Puh-lease! Cover those bad boys up!:lol:

Jesus says come as you are but he doesn't say to stay there! As we grow in his Word and begin to take on his character, we are required live Godly lives. I'm not talking about the church micromanaging your wardrobe but should the church just roll over and play dead when the head of women's ministries comes to church with a mini skirt and low cut blouse? When so and so is wearing these revealing outfits are they trying to edify self or edify God?

The Bible also says,

1 Corinthians 10:32-33

32Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— 33even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.

Last edited:

sprungonhairboards

I'm not sure where micro minis and cleavage bearing tops fit into any Christian woman's life in or out of church.

I've always seen it like if I can take an hour to get ready to go to a party or dinner and look my best then I can do it for the Lord. My cousin was bragging one time about how it was "sweatsuit day" at her church and what she wore. I told her I just could'nt see ever wearing pants to church. Even if the pastor said it was "sweatsuit day".

I feel when I step into the house of the Lord I am stepping into the house of the Lord and reverance and respect should be observed and displayed.

I always looked at the come as you are thing as for those who may not have the luxary of what may be considered "church" attire so that they are not discouraged from coming for that reason. Not come as you are straight from the club or after washing your car or because you are just did'nt feel like getting dressed properly.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i think you should be mindful of what you wear but come as you are keeps poppin in my head. wear what you know and when you learn better dress better and by better i dont mean cost or style i mean cover the tatas and lets get them hem lines a lil past the upper thigh LOL

CatSuga

I remember a time when a woman who was looking for a church home brough her 2 young sons to church.
She didn't have enought money to buy them "church shoes" so they came as they were and the mother was ridiculed because of that.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
CatSuga said:
I remember a time when a woman who was looking for a church home brough her 2 young sons to church.
She didn't have enought money to buy them "church shoes" so they came as they were and the mother was ridiculed because of that.

Sadly the place where you should feel the most welcomed can cause you to feel the most rejected.

I heard, but I'm not sure if its true, that one of the pastors here had to tell the women not to wear thongs because when they get "slain in the spirit" all their goodies were on display.

I don't think dress codes are a good idea beyond the common sense ones, no boobs or thighs, tho folx coming in from a street mentality actually may not recognize those. I think it would breed a legalistic attitude and give cause for division and you know you ALWAYS have someone who feels the need to police everyohen else.

Folx naturally try to blend in with their surroundings. Get folx in the church and get them saved. As they see how the other members dress they will eventually try to blend in with them or God will deal with them about their attire.

natalied said:
Not for new believers and new members, but for church leaders and church office holders, absolutely yes!

I an not trying to see your :blondboob in church! Puh-lease! Cover those bad boys up!:lol:

Jesus says come as you are but he doesn't say to stay there! As we grow in his Word and begin to take on his character, we are required live Godly lives. I'm not talking about the church micromanaging your wardrobe but should the church just roll over and play dead when the head of women's ministries comes to church with a mini skirt and low cut blouse? When so and so is wearing these revealing outfits are they trying to edify self or edify God?

The Bible also says,

1 Corinthians 10:32-33

32Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— 33even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.

I definitely agree!

carolina_belle

There should definitely be some type of consideration for those with severe allergies and loading up on fragrance. We sat next to a couple whose cologne and perfume fought through the entire service. I had to stifle a sneezing jag. I applaud good grooming for services (Would you go to a job interview in jeans?), but ease up on the last squirt of fragrance before you leave the house.

LDebagoria

When I went to church, the way folks were dressed was crappy.
Jeans and T-Shirts galore! I figure, if you're going to go to church, it's a truly acceptable day to dress up, and everyone around was dressed like
"WHEN WAL-MART ATTACKS!!!" :eek: AAAAaaaa!!!!

I was a Catholic, and one thing I noticed is that after attending another part of my family's Baptist church, in Chicago, everyone was dressed to kill! Dresses and hats, the whole nine! And very tasteful and stylish. I was IMpressed!
Then again, I always try to forget that "style" isn't a huge priority 'round these parts. But still!

I say no jeans and t's, sweatsuits, booty-shorts/skirts...etc...in church. If ya' own 'em, I could care cool! Just save 'em for sometime other than CHURCH! :whip:

SUPER SWEET

For a newbie to going to church for the first time i think coming as you are is ok. But i think after attending a few services a newbie will catch on. It's just like the dress code at work or for an interview.

But for members yes there should be one. It disgusts me to see people that look like they are about to get on the dance floor! The women that I have seen have on low cut blouses ,thongs showing and short skirts. I've also encountered a few men that needed to button up those shirts too.

CatSuga

LDebagoria said:
When I went to church, the way folks were dressed was crappy.
Jeans and T-Shirts galore! I figure, if you're going to go to church, it's a truly acceptable day to dress up, and everyone around was dressed like
"WHEN WAL-MART ATTACKS!!!" :eek: AAAAaaaa!!!!

SEE! This is what I'm talking about.
There are people who want to go to church but don't because humans, not God, will judge their Wal-mart clothing and make feel that they are not good enough to come to the house of the lord.
I know as a child me and other kids were resticted from going to church on easter sunday because we didn't have "new" clothes.
Do you really think God is more pleased with you because you wear church clothes?
Those people that came to church in jeans and t-shirts were not there to impress people, they were there to praise God.

LDebagoria

CatSuga said:
There are people who want to go to church but don't because humans, not God, will judge their Wal-mart clothing and make feel that they are not good enough to come to the house of the lord.
I know as a child me and other kids were resticted from going to church on easter sunday because we didn't have "new" clothes.
Do you really think God is more pleased with you because you wear church clothes?
Those people that came to church in jeans and t-shirts were not there to impress people, they were there to praise God.

Perhaps I should make myself more clear. *Ahem* This group are the same people who don't go to church to "get the Spirit" in them, these are the ones who got DRAGGED to church, broken from yardwork or sunday football games, etc...I caught grass stains, snoozers, and everything BUT halfway attentive listening. Attend the church I went to for a couple of weeks Cat. :lol:

The point I'm trying to make is these folks are "going through the motions" of attending church. Don't bother going if you don't want to be there! Also, it's not about impressing others, it's about being impressed with yourself. Is it acceptable to wear Butt-Out jeans and a holey shirt to a funeral? If that's all you have, fine. These folks have more, dress appropriately!

Last edited:

ThickHair

No dress code, but respectfully covered up. Jeans and T-shirt is fine if that is all you have. I don't wear dresses at all. I wear a nice pants suit to church and call it a day, but if all I had were jeans, then so be it.

Vintagecoilylocks

I think people come how they want to come. I don't think there are that many people out there who can not afford a decent outfit for church if they wanted it. With all the thrift stores and church clothing drives around where really nice clothes are available alot cheaper than a pair of Walmart jeans. Where there is a will there is a way. If all you buy is jeans than you have not made allowances to have something different for church. Jeans are expensive new. I think if someone is joining a congregation there would be nothing wrong with remindiing them that they should dress modestly, clean and respectful for services. Reasons's are:. The bible states it. There are children in church, We are our brothers keeper and should not set temptations before others, and the bible states in I th 5:22, abstain from all appearance of evil. Also, if God is so gracious to us to provide all that he does I don't think one set of appropiate respectful clothing is such a burden. Even the poor can keep a set of proper attire for church. Finally we are pleasing and presenting our self before God. We want the best response from God he deserves the best from us. If a quick stop or fast food can bar you from coming in on how you are dressed than we all can think of andcome up with proper attire to wear to church. Too many excuses and no effort to do it.

Honeyhips

Lovely
Exactly... She kinda proved your point too. :lol:
CatSuga said:

Sweet C

Official dress code: NO. If your church decides that for a certain day, that everyone wants to wear white or blue, then hey that's cool. Its good to have unity in the body of Christ, but that shouldn't be mandatory unless you are a leader or something, and you know that is something you are expected to do.

The bible does say "Come to Me who are heavy laden and burden and I will give you rest", but I agree with natalied, about it doesn't say stay there. The rest of that scripture (Mt 11:28-29) refers to learning from Christ, and as you learn from Christ, everything about you is going to change, including your wardrobe in general.

Now most of what I see in church today are not people who don't have. As a matter of fact, the people who don't have are typically the most modestly dressed people in the church. My church every month has a community day and during that time one thing they do give out clothing to those who need it. Some very fancy (shoot, I have seen some very fine Kasper suits that I wouldn't have minded having off that rack), some are jeans and t-shirt, but all are checked to ensure that it is in general modest clothing and either new or gently used. So those who do come in that aren't dressed modestly, have the chance to get modest clothing for free, but in general they aren't even an issue. What goes on a lot now is that people have the ability and means to do better, but choose not to (i.e. I can't get a modest outfit to at least go to church in, b/c I just spent 200 on those new Jordans). And these are folks who know better, but cite "come as you are" for their reason for choosing not doing better. That is with whom the church needs to address as far as clothing is concerned.

missyT

Wow...lots of really interesting reponses although I am still divided on the issue. Whilst I believe that God is not really concerned with our outward appearance because He sees the heart, it is sometimes the case that ones outward appearance reflects their inner self.

In some cases a dress code can encourage people to be false. For instance they are wearing a suit to church and believe they have to behave in a certain way that is not them, so to speak. And I don't think it is fair to encourage one to be something that they are not because it can delay spiritual progress.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

sprungonhairboards said:
I'm not sure where micro minis and cleavage bearing tops fit into any Christian woman's life in or out of church.

I've always seen it like if I can take an hour to get ready to go to a party or dinner and look my best then I can do it for the Lord. My cousin was bragging one time about how it was "sweatsuit day" at her church and what she wore. I told her I just could'nt see ever wearing pants to church. Even if the pastor said it was "sweatsuit day".

I feel when I step into the house of the Lord I am stepping into the house of the Lord and reverance and respect should be observed and displayed.

I always looked at the come as you are thing as for those who may not have the luxary of what may be considered "church" attire so that they are not discouraged from coming for that reason. Not come as you are straight from the club or after washing your car or because you are just did'nt feel like getting dressed properly.

With that said, I have nothing to say :up:

Jewell

There is a common sense code of decency that comes along with attending church. Of course a sinner off the street isn't going to necessarily adhere or know how to dress their first few times to church, but as they learn, and hopefully begin their Christian walk or accept Christ as their Saviour, they will gradually change in their dress and actions. That's why I don't stone anybody based on how they are dressed in church, whether it be a micro mini or whatever. No, there should not be a dress code for church, because at some churches its perfectly fine to wear jeans and a polo shirt. At others, people go all out with 3 piece suits and hats. Besides, who is supposed to govern this dress code, and who is so upright that they get to have the say so?

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
No, but we need the older women of the church to instruct us YOUNG LADIES how to cover up and look respectable, so we can AT LEAST keep our men from stumbling. :( They have it hard as it is!....with us fine, beautiful, black, christian women. :grin:

nijilah

I don't think that there should be and I don't go to a church where there is a dress code. BUT...I have been guilty of showing up at the early Sunday morning mass inappropriately dressed because I went clubbing until 4:00am, then breakfast with friends, and then went directly to church -- if I fell asleep, I would have missed all the masses.