Shoulder Length 2012 Challenge

I'm trying to keep it simple and be consistent.

Yes ma'am, K.I.S. is the truth :yep:

Maybe you could post a tutorial on how you self-trim, or some tips or something please? I dust at least 1/4" every month without fail to get rid of my relaxed ends but I know I need to just do a proper trim - problem is where I live there are no black hairdressers and I wouldn't even consider letting anybody else at my hair!

I've never used the Daily Fixx by itself, only used it once or twice before after a Protein Tt, and I never really took the time to evaluate my hair afterwards bc I usually just rinsed it out quickly before doing a DC, however I did a proper sulfate poo two days ago which left my hair feeling... skinny. Threw on the Daily Fixx and it was transformed - felt nice and plump and soft and heavy, and made me really appreciate what this product actually does and I decided right there in the shower that I'll be using it every week from now. Honestly I can't recommend it highly enough - after a poo or protein treatment but before you condition, EFA's are now as important to me for strong healthy hair as ceramides. I hope you can get hold of some there in the US.

i think this MN is going to grow my crown hair to SL very quickly.

Goody! Make sure to make a note of where the hair currently falls so you can track progress (it's amazing how many "measuring spots" that can be used on the head and face!!!) or you can just use a tape measure (I'd use the mm/cm side as opposed to the inch side so that you get a more accurate result) and I'll remind you in 3 weeks and 2 days that it's time to do a length check! I still have 5" to go but lets see if we can't get our arses out of here for Christmas :lol:

claud-uk said:
Yes ma'am, K.I.S. is the truth :yep:

Maybe you could post a tutorial on how you self-trim, or some tips or something please? I dust at least 1/4" every month without fail to get rid of my relaxed ends but I know I need to just do a proper trim - problem is where I live there are no black hairdressers and I wouldn't even consider letting anybody else at my hair!

I've never used the Daily Fixx by itself, only used it once or twice before after a Protein Tt, and I never really took the time to evaluate my hair afterwards bc I usually just rinsed it out quickly before doing a DC, however I did a proper sulfate poo two days ago which left my hair feeling... skinny. Threw on the Daily Fixx and it was transformed - felt nice and plump and soft and heavy, and made me really appreciate what this product actually does and I decided right there in the shower that I'll be using it every week from now. Honestly I can't recommend it highly enough - after a poo or protein treatment but before you condition, EFA's are now as important to me for strong healthy hair as ceramides. I hope you can get hold of some there in the US

Honestly, I have no "technique" for self trimming. My hair is short so I just center part it, comb it down, and cut it.

Honestly, I have no "technique" for self trimming. My hair is short so I just center part it, comb it down, and cut it.

lol, you shouldn't be so modest - what do you think would happen if the rest of us did that? :hair: to :pullhair: (puts scarf back on and goes back to work...)

Hey ladies, I have decided to transition to natural hair. So chances are I probably wont be making SL this year (if I do that would be a miracle lol)

My last relaxer was Sept 2011 and I have about 4.5 in of NG. I still plan on being part of this challenge I plan to BC Sept 2013 which should leave me with around 12 in of natural hair. I am transitioning because well I miss my natural hair. And I just think being natural will be better for me in the long-run.

@Aggie I'm sorry that you experience a few set backs :(
What do you think led to your setbacks in the past few months?
Thank you 20Something. I think it's putting my hair in the hands of incompetent stylist for one, and also I believe I was doing too much to it too often. I decided to just leave it alone for now and see what happens.

I finally found a stylist that seems to understand my hair so I will be going to see her again next month for sure for my trim. I am currently wearing wigs 4 weeks at a time, then wash and treat it.

I know I know, I should be washing it more often, but truth be told, my hair grew like wild fire the last time I did this. So I will try it again for a year or two.

Well, since I cut my crown, it will take a miracle to make shoulder length this year, but I am hanging in there. I left one long layer in the back, and I am trimming it every month. Most of my crown is nose length when pulled back. In the middle of my head you can see the really short hair where my big bald spot used to be.

This shows my one layer that is shoulder length still, and you can see all my nose length hair. I got that mama Brady cut, lol. I am grateful to have hair, now I just got to figure out how to keep my hair looking nice as it grows out. I feel like I am transitioning.

Since I'm in the mn challenge I did a length check! Don't want to rewrite and post pics again so please ladies see my update in the mn challenge! Thnx

To join please thank the original post.

What is your current length?
NL
What is your goal date to make Shoulder length?
DEC 30TH 2012
Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed,transitioning (state the date you plan to BC), other?
RELAXED
What is your plans on obtaining shoulder length?
MORE DC SESSIONS,STRETCHING RELAXER 12 WKS,TRIMMING AFTER EVERY RELAXER,MAINTAIN MOISTURE & PROTEIN BALANCE
What is your ultimate goal length?
MBL

Aggie - Hey, if less frequent washing is working for you don't change it for anyone. Your hair is responding well so obviously your scalp is healthy and less manipulation = thumbs up.

Seamonster - there's a few of us here at your length or shorter, you're in good company!

Hyacinthe - :welcome:

Hi ladies,

Checking in the for the weekend - I'll be doing an moisture and ceramide oil tx all day today (probably Coco/Avo/WGO/Sunflower wrapped in film) then tomorrow I'm going to mix some kind of DC tx with Honey/AVG/Shea and some DC's. Going to apply, leave for about 6 hours, then heat cap for 1 hour before allowing to cool and then I will run a rinse-out con over the top before rinsing. No protein or poo for me this weekend, going to give my hair a little treat instead :yep:

I may try wet bunning after - if this doesn't work I'll do some kind of twistout bun/updo. Will post pics if any good otherwise it's the usual four braids under my scarf!

Hi Hyacinthe, thanks - usually I add honey to my pre-poo (which I do twice a week) but just this time I'm going to add it to my DDDC instead. I got the recommendation of adding honey to the pre-poo from LHCF, it's great as it thickens the mix and stops the oil running down your scalp!

@ claud-uk. Oh yes the honey is what got my interest peeked and u make sense when u say it will stop the oil from dripping down neck gonna add a ceramide oil in the mix 2.

i've been missing for a while, been going through a lot of personal drama. Just recently went through a major setback on my hair :/ I feel like I'm back where i was a couple months ago. It's for a combination of reasons.....First, I realize I can't do super stretches with my hair. I tried stretching in between relaxers for too long and it led to SUPER breakage. Also, I hadn't changed my regimen. It's been stupid hot (100 F) everyday for a while and since I didn't change my regimen to be more accommodating to summer, my hair has suffered. The extreme heat wave I think has had a huge effect on my hair. It's much drier now even though I have been moisturizing as per usual. Lastly, I've gotten lazy. I had stopped caring so much and being gentle and my hair paid the price :/ so I'm still EL and NL but since I still have a good amount of time before the end of the year I can hopefully turn it around. I'm getting a touch up and trim today to start anew. I'll be in a sew in about 2/3 weeks from now so that will help a lot as well

Hey ladies let's keep this thread active! Any new updates? How are y'all ladies doing? I'm aight and in a sew in til end of august. Didn't take pics of this one yet. Maybe when I style it next time I will. I have my nape and some leave out on top (u part shaped) really haven't been applying my MN but I'm going to be taking a break for a while anyway. I might move on to APL challenge if my sides (front part) don't catch up more by middle or end of September so we will see. HHG!

Hey ladies let's keep this thread active! Any new updates? How are y'all ladies doing? I'm aight and in a sew in til end of august. Didn't take pics of this one yet. Maybe when I style it next time I will. I have my nape and some leave out on top (u part shaped) really haven't been applying my MN but I'm going to be taking a break for a while anyway. I might move on to APL challenge if my sides (front part) don't catch up more by middle or end of September so we will see. HHG!

Yeah, we need to keep this thread going, cmon ladies, what/where's everyone up to? What are you all doing for your Summer styles? Anyone tried any new products or changed up their regi?

No protein or poo for me this weekend

:nono::nono::nono: - That so did not work out for me - I missed my weekly protein treatment thinking my hair could do with the break, and I suffered hundreds of broken hairs bc of it. Even doing my oil pre-poo hairs were just breaking all over my hands, all in the oil, rinsing out I had hairs in my hands and in the bath :perplexed I was scared, thought I was having some kind of major setback. Soon realised my hair needed protein. I've been doing a weekly Px since April, it's been working well for me, this is a lesson not to skip such an essential part of my regi again.

Did an immediate Px with Mirpur Soy Cholesterol and had zero breaks during the rinse and only one tiny breakage after combing thru my whole head :yep:

Never gonna sleep on my Px again!

I'm chillin. Took my twists out and I am letting my scalp recover from the trauma before I relax my hair again. Its been 7 weeks since my last relaxer so I'm using a hot comb to deal with my NG. Gonna play around with some clip in tracks to see if I can stretch longer. I was making good progress toward SL and I really hope those twists didn't set me back.

I can't seem to do anything consistently except take my vitamins. I bought the Hairtrigger oil with intentions of giving my growth a boost. After a few applications, that bottle was set to the side. Now, I use it for an overnight oiling on rare occasions.

I'm still buying conditioner like it's going out of style. I absolutely LOVE trying new things. Some things just ARE, and it makes no sense fighting the urge.

I've been trimming and dusting my hair to the hilt! I think where I'm losing in length, I'm gaining in getting a fuller look.

Happy with my hair for the most part...but it takes forever to grow layers out.

claud-uk said:
Yeah, we need to keep this thread going, cmon ladies, what/where's everyone up to? What are you all doing for your Summer styles? Anyone tried any new products or changed up their regi?

:nono::nono::nono: - That so did not work out for me - I missed my weekly protein treatment thinking my hair could do with the break, and I suffered hundreds of broken hairs bc of it. Even doing my oil pre-poo hairs were just breaking all over my hands, all in the oil, rinsing out I had hairs in my hands and in the bath :perplexed I was scared, thought I was having some kind of major setback. Soon realised my hair needed protein. I've been doing a weekly Px since April, it's been working well for me, this is a lesson not to skip such an essential part of my regi again.

Did an immediate Px with Mirpur Soy Cholesterol and had zero breaks during the rinse and only one tiny breakage after combing thru my whole head :yep:

Never gonna sleep on my Px again!

That's great you have a staple protein that works!

LaidBak said:
I'm chillin. Took my twists out and I am letting my scalp recover from the trauma before I relax my hair again. Its been 7 weeks since my last relaxer so I'm using a hot comb to deal with my NG. Gonna play around with some clip in tracks to see if I can stretch longer. I was making good progress toward SL and I really hope those twists didn't set me back.

You will make your goal just stick with it. Lmk how those clip ins work for you!

InBloom said:
I can't seem to do anything consistently except take my vitamins. I bought the Hairtrigger oil with intentions of giving my growth a boost. After a few applications, that bottle was set to the side. Now, I use it for an overnight oiling on rare occasions.

I'm still buying conditioner like it's going out of style. I absolutely LOVE trying new things. Some things just ARE, and it makes no sense fighting the urge.

I've been trimming and dusting my hair to the hilt! I think where I'm losing in length, I'm gaining in getting a fuller look.

Happy with my hair for the most part...but it takes forever to grow layers out.

I'm sure your layers are going to look great once they are a bit longer you will see.

I want to join! I hope I'm not too late. I'm NL, relaxed, 4a with some 4b in a few areas. I want to reach SL by the end of this year. After I end this stretch on Monday. I'm going to start using Giovanni SAS shampoo and conditioner and the direct leave in for the rest of the summer for my weekly wash and then cowash with Suave Naturals tropical coconut or wild orchid once a week. I seal with a mix of castor, coconut and grapeseed oil. I'm going through a setback right now with my nape growing thinner by the week. I may have to do a serious cut. Oh! I also do monthly protein treatments with an egg, EVOO, and castor oil...I think that's it...

Hi Ladies!
Hope you are all well. I actually took down my last installation last night and reinstalled today. Below is a picture of my mid-july progress. The top of my head, wait is it the crown? I know I should know this by now but I get that mixed up everytime. Anyway. Its looking good, not sure that I can make full and even shoulder length by the end of the year but I remain hopeful.

This pic was taken last night:

Attachments

• IMG_2936_Resized.jpg
    IMG_2936_Resized.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 38
A few other pics.
Sides finally hitting collarbone, but the top as you can see is woefully behind in progress. :(

Attachments

• IMG_2943_left_071312.jpg
    IMG_2943_left_071312.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2944_right_071312.jpg
    IMG_2944_right_071312.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2940_frontpull_071312.jpg
    IMG_2940_frontpull_071312.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
healthy2008 said:
I want to join! I hope I'm not too late. I'm NL, relaxed, 4a with some 4b in a few areas. I want to reach SL by the end of this year. After I end this stretch on Monday. I'm going to start using Giovanni SAS shampoo and conditioner and the direct leave in for the rest of the summer for my weekly wash and then cowash with Suave Naturals tropical coconut or wild orchid once a week. I seal with a mix of castor, coconut and grapeseed oil. I'm going through a setback right now with my nape growing thinner by the week. I may have to do a serious cut. Oh! I also do monthly protein treatments with an egg, EVOO, and castor oil...I think that's it...

Welcome! Your regi sounds great and I'm sure you nape will come in nicely. HHG!

gonnabme1st said:
Hi Ladies!
Hope you are all well. I actually took down my last installation last night and reinstalled today. Below is a picture of my mid-july progress. The top of my head, wait is it the crown? I know I should know this by now but I get that mixed up everytime. Anyway. Its looking good, not sure that I can make full and even shoulder length by the end of the year but I remain hopeful.

This pic was taken last night:

Your hair is looking amazing! You dont look too far from full SL so you just may make it by the end of the year. Your hair is sooo thick and plush! Keep up the good work.

hey Ladies!
I am tryna get to full shoulder length by december 2012
I will need a tu soon,but my hairstyllist is away.
I am 11 weeks post and I never gone beyond 12 weeks,so this will be a test for me.
on wash days i have to be extra careful and take my time which in itself is a challenge.
All in all I am pleased with the health of my hair just gotta keep the momentum going until my stylist gets back

Back