Sick and Elderly hair care

krissyhair

I realized there is not a thread for haircare for our elderly or hospitalized/fragile women. I went to visit my dear Grandma today. She is in a rehabilitation center for a broken bone. They do everything for you except wash your hair.

I washed her hair with a shampoo cap. Now that is some real high-tech space age technology (really they were developed for the space program :lol:)
and it cleansed/conditioned her hair pretty well.

But there was a lot of terrible scalp buildup that the shampoo cap couldn't clean. I ended up just flaking it away with a fine tooth comb. She felt much better afterwards.

What can I use besides a shampoo cap and fine tooth comb next time I visit to give her scalp a proper cleansing? A shower, sink or bath is not an option.

Could we please let this be a thread for developing regimens for women with serious illness that would limit their mobility or for elderly hair care?

chelseatiara

May i ask who bathes her/why there is no access to a shower or sink? Is this place more like a gym or nursing home in nature?

Holla

Try dry shampoo. Maybe that would help. Several are on the market.
Also make sure she is not using products that would cause a lot of buildup.

reeko43

I have used witch hazel on my aunts scalp The hospice nurse would also run a damp towel through her hair which had gotten pretty thin. Had i known about coconut or jojoba oil then i probably would have used it after the witch hazel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 2

krissyhair

I have used witch hazel on my aunts scalp The hospice nurse would also run a damp towel through her hair which had gotten pretty thin. Had i known about coconut or jojoba oil then i probably would have used it after the witch hazel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 2

I forgot about witch hazel. I will do that next time. It's good for breaking up dirt. And yes, she probably needs something to keep the skin from excess flaking like an oil. The dead skin will build up eventually but the oil may keep it fresher longer.

krissyhair

Try dry shampoo. Maybe that would help. Several are on the market.
Also make sure she is not using products that would cause a lot of buildup.

The shampoo cap is an alternative to dry shampoo. It gives a deeper clean.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I don't have any advice, but I wish I would have had one of those caps when my mother (RIP) was sick. They sound awesome.

What about that shampoo in a bottle that you use when you are in braids? How often are you washing her hair?

Fhrizzball

Incorporating some tea tree oil can only help i feel. Also a brush may help out more than a comb depending on her hair type/state as it'll help her sebum travel down the shaft a bit more easily.

krissyhair

I've got some updates. The hospital she was in during November and December really wasn't focused on personal hygiene care as much as they were on her physical safety and health monitoring. She could barely sit up before, but now she's much stronger, and even forgets to use her cane when she walks.

They've been using baby oil on her scalp in this new facility. I'd rather use a natural oil, but that's what the doctor said to use. So I massage the baby oil into her scalp, use a fine tooth comb to loosen up the scalp buildup. Then the next day she gets to take a whirlpool bath.

Her hair now is gorgeous. She got it cut to even it out where it was growing a little too fast at the temples and at the nape. And after years of radiation, chemo and general poor health, her hair is finally transforming from straight to curly again. She doesn't even need a roller set. Her hair is beautiful.

I appreciate this time I'm spending with my grandma. I thought I was going to lose her this year. But she gets stronger and happier every single day. We hang out together on the weekends and I know she enjoys the time together too.

krissyhair

Grama has been following her baby oil regimen. Her hair is growing too fast. I saw her today and said it's time for you to get another hair cut. This is twice in 2 months.

Cocoloves

Grama has been following her baby oil regimen. Her hair is growing too fast. I saw her today and said it's time for you to get another hair cut. This is twice in 2 months.

My great aunt is the same way. She never wants me to cut it because she has never gotten past a bad hair cut she had as a child. I cut secretly while doing her hair as she watches tv. Otherwise it will tangled and she has a tender scalp.

Last edited:

Nomadiclady

This is an excellent topic and thx for the updates. I'm glad your grandma is progressing well. Btw, your a gem of a granddaughter!! I love to read of family supporting family.

General suggestions for anyone else needing ideas:

For bedridden folks- check out an inflatable bed shampooer (trough) http://search.briggscorp.com/search?keywords=inflatable+bed+shampoo+trough&x=11&y=6

For scalp buildup- a kid's soft toothbrush is gentle enough to aid with 'scrubbing' w/o pain

For gentle cleansing w/o water - Inexpensive No-rinse shampoo or shampoo cap- https://shop.briggscorp.com/e2wItemMain.aspx?parentId=IT00000400

Briggs Healthcare is a good source of supplies.

Scalp massages are usually appreciated. For some alzheimers/dementia folks hair care can be challenging but it can't be neglected. There's an experience I would like to type but my post w/b too long.

krissyhair

This is an excellent topic and thx for the updates. I'm glad your grandma is progressing well. Btw, your a gem of a granddaughter!! I love to read of family supporting family.

General suggestions for anyone else needing ideas:

For bedridden folks- check out an inflatable bed shampooer (trough) http://search.briggscorp.com/search?keywords=inflatable+bed+shampoo+trough&x=11&y=6

For scalp buildup- a kid's soft toothbrush is gentle enough to aid with 'scrubbing' w/o pain

For gentle cleansing w/o water - Inexpensive No-rinse shampoo or shampoo cap- https://shop.briggscorp.com/e2wItemMain.aspx?parentId=IT00000400

Briggs Healthcare is a good source of supplies.

Scalp massages are usually appreciated. For some alzheimers/dementia folks hair care can be challenging but it can't be neglected. There's an experience I would like to type but my post w/b too long.

No Nomadiclady please share your story. If it's long, who cares. It's too important not to share.

Nomadiclady

krissyhair you have no idea what a long rambling post this will become if I share my observations & thoughts.

Briefly let me say - I think attention to hair care/grooming should remain important during long term illness. I realize many times pressing health issues are the focus but that is how family/friends can help. Long term care staff need assistance with personal care because too often the ratio of workers to patients doesn't allow for attention to these matters.

It helps the sick to keep a measure of dignity. you mentioned your grandma felt better when you tended to her scalp. That can be a difference maker in the day of a chronically ill person.

I'll share more another time.

krissyhair

I came and washed grandma's hair today. She's living at home, but there are a few things she needs help with.

It's tough cause I have all this pseudo lhcf hair care knowledge, but I have to do things the way she wants them. I wanted to air dry, she said no it's too cold I have to blow dry. I grab the diffuser, she says no I don't want that thing, just give me the hair dryer. Here she is messing up all those baby curls with no diffuser.

She doesn't really like her natural texture no matter how adorable and baby fine and smooth and curly it is. She's from the old school and still misses back in the day having a fresh relaxer and roller set. But I told her the white women her age go to the salon and get perms to come out looking just like her.

If you're curious about the products and regimen, we used Selsun Blue 3% salicylic acid shampoo, she scrubbed the heck out of her hair with a shampoo brush. Then I gave it a quick rinse with Nexus Diametris volumizing conditioner. It's supposed to increase the diameter of your strands over time. Then I moisturized it with ORS olive oil hair lotion. Then she dried it about half way, with no diffuser *humph*. But it's clean and no more scalp itchies for her.

hot_pepper96

krissyhair

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I have been battling with my mom on washing he hair. She is showing signs of Dementia and she is resistant to washing her hair.

krissyhair

[USER=8191]hot_pepper96[/USER];20209221 said:
krissyhair

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I have been battling with my mom on washing he hair. She is showing signs of Dementia and she is resistant to washing her hair.

If you microwave one of those shampoo caps, or heat it up in another way, I bet she will enjoy the washing. It's like a warm bath on your head.

krissyhair

[USER=381361]Cocoloves[/USER];19636171 said:
My great aunt is the same way. She never wants me to cut it because she has never gotten past a bad hair cut she had as a child. I cut secretly while doing her hair as she watches tv. Otherwise it will tangled and she has a tender scalp.

Hey I actually never noticed this post. It's pretty funny that you trim it secretly.

krissyhair

I went to wash her hair this weekend.

I washed and conditioned with Nexxus diametris products. I used two pea size pumps of ORS olive oil leave in conditioner, then blow dried it with a John Frieda round brush dryer.

She said she really appreciated it. She also said that her head and hair haven't felt that great in a while. Her shoulder has limited mobility, so it's hard for her to wash her head.

I just appreciated having fun and spending time playing in her hair.

It turned out shiny and silvery.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I'm glad your grandma is doing so well. I'll be using all of these tips if/when the time comes. I could've used it on myself when I was in the hospital for so long.