*SIGH* I Have to CUT It...

NYLegalNewbie

As much as I don't want to, I really need to cut my hair if it's going to grow out the way I want it to.

It's not that I have tons of split ends or damaged hair. On the contrary - my hair is really healthy (despite trying to adjust to sleeping over at my boyfriend's place where I don't have my satin pillowcase...yet :D).

The problem is that my hair is just so UNEVEN. The right side of my hair is at least 1 to 1.5 inches longer than the left side. The reason is that for a LOOONG time my left side was severly damaged, and I didn't want to take the big step of chopping off hair on the right side to even it up. Instead, I just would nip off a little on the right side each time I visited my stylist. But that strategy hasn't worked in the long run and now the unevenness is REALLY becoming very obvious and it doesn't look good when I try to wear it straight.

Who else has had to do this, and what kind of cut (1 to 2 inches) did you get that evened out your hair but still preserved length?

BTW - I have a stylist who I really trust to do this, so I'm not worried about her being scissor happy.

MsBoinglicious

You should join the "Layers Out Challenge 2010" we are starting this weekend. Its for people who have layers or uneven cuts. Most of the girls do NOT want to cut their hair either. I have layers that i hate but i am not cutting them. Want to join with us? PM me I will put you on the list. The thread will be up this weekend.

Kerryann

My hair is just like that but i refuse to cut it until next year summer to even everything up when i have enough hair on the short side.

I am also planning on putting growth aid on the short side for at least 2 months straight so that it can catch up

lboogie2679

I think its best to cut it even bc you will be happier with the overall look of your hair. It will feel healthier and give you a fresh start. The longer it gets the harder it will be to let go.

CarolinaGal

I think I'm out voted. I was going to say leave it b/c I thought asymmetric was the new trend and you said it's healthy. Shoooooot, I'd rock that style ike I was Rhi-Rhi :grin:. But do whatevers makes you happy and feel comfy.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

What Hairmaster said is a good idea depending on the length.

If you even it up just know that it may continue to grow that way, some pple hair grow slower on one side. If you keep the length make sure when you trim the longer side you trim the shorter side just a little to keep away any spit ends so you can retain as much as you can on the shorter side.

spinspinshuga

Maybe you should hit one of your short-term goal lengths, then trim back. I just decided I'm going to trim until I'm all of my layers are WL. I think doing it this way way, it seems less traumatizing to cut off so much length.
If I were you, I would just trim an inch every couple of months (in a U-shape) on the longer side until you even out. I would wait until you hit one of your goal length first, though, as someone already mentioned some people just grow uneven and the same thing might keep happening to you.

irsgirl

I cut my hair in October, I was 1 inch to BSL before I relaxed and then after I never got to see the true length because my stylist said,"oh mommie you need a trim". Your hair don't look good like this. My end were really beat up and the nape on the left was short. So I let her cut it the short part of the nape, which was shoulder length and left most of the length on the right front for a cute bob. Well drove me crazy and I cut the right to match the nape after about a week. I am happy with the even, healthy look of the hair now. I hope this helps.

lawyer2be371

I say trim as you go, but pics would help us understand.....like my left side is longer than the right...but Im not willing to cut it...not just yet that is

*CherryPie*

I just cut 3+ inches because my left side was shorter than the right side. I ended up cutting my hair all over my head.

I needed the cut last year cause my ends were not nice. I let it go, and my ends started splitting up my hair. I ended up cutting a lot of hair.

I was close to MBL and now I'm APL. Get those ends off so that they can't do more damage.

Chevelure618

I have that problem and the right side is always shorter as it grows out. I don't care. I just micro-dust the shorter side more than the left to keep it healthy. I know that sounds backwards, like I should only dust the long side, but think about it...if you always are dusting the long side it is going to always be the healthy side and grow longer. I MICRODUST. I don't believe in even-trimming healthy ends.

BrooklynSouth

Six months after the cut I am so glad. I have so many people asking me what I do to my hair in the last 2 days, asking me for a list of products I use. my hair is growing like crazy since I chopped it off..healthy and so thick. I'll be updating my FOTKI in the next few days{probably by Saturday} to show the difference.

sharifeh

My hair is uneven too, the back is longer than the sides, I'm not interested in cutting it though, when I give it a chance it does fill in, Maybe I'll start evening out when I get closer to my goal...

nymane

I have a similar problem, no damage or splits, but very uneven...currently I'm wearing textured styles, and I'm on a 7 month stretch. I'm definitely making good progress, but I think if I wore straight styles frequently I'd cut (just because it would drive me crazy).

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Same situation here as well. I expect to be APL in Feb so i will probably even it up then. I like the idea of wearing it parted and using something to help the shorter side grow faster.