(Sigh) The Damage is Permanent

LadyBlu

I'm so discouraged! I finally broke down and went to a trichonologist (is that how you spell it?) about my practically bald edges, and he preformed a scalp analysis on me and basically concluded that my hairline damage is permanent. It appears that the excessvie pulling around my hairline from braids (micros, cornrows, etc. ) from years ago has caused scar tissue to form at the follicles and hindered any future growth. My only alternative is hair transplants which I just scheuled a consultation for.

BE CAREFUL LADIES!!!! Now I have to spend thousands of dollars to be able to pull my hair back again. I wish I had LHCF back then :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:!!!! Man... I need a hug!

hopeful

:hug2: :snuggle: Oh LadyBlu, I'm so sorry you are going through this. Maybe see another trichologist for a 2nd opinion? Hang in there, everything is going to be okay :kiss:.

LushLox

((((Hugs)))) :( So sorry to hear that LadyBlu.

I also learned the hard way from constantly wearing my hair in high ponytails, all the stress totally ate out the front side of my hair. It took years before my hair started to recover, and I've still got a lot to do - why do we do this to ourselves? :nono:

Keep strong and try to be positive though. :)

I am so sorry to hear that LadyBlu!
My best friend has Alopecia and I see her frustration with this every day.
Maybe you should take Hopeful's advice and get a second opinion.

:hug2:

bellezanegra826

Don't be discouraged! (I know, I know, easier said than done) Before you get a transplant, perhaps you should try going to a dermatologist too. They might have some other treatment that a trichologist couldn't give you. If you get a hair transplant how will the transplanted hair grow through scar tissue? Would they have to remove the scalp that has scar tissue and then replace it with scalp that does not have scar tissue? I don't really know much about hair restoration, so please excuse my ignant questions :) Please tell us how your consultation with the transplant people goes.

flowinlocks

I'm sorry this has happened to you, but as some of the other ladies stated, I would most def. seek a second opinion. Have you tried any growth aids?

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I'm so discouraged! I finally broke down and went to a trichonologist (is that how you spell it?) about my practically bald edges, and he preformed a scalp analysis on me and basically concluded that my hairline damage is permanent. It appears that the excessvie pulling around my hairline from braids (micros, cornrows, etc. ) from years ago has caused scar tissue to form at the follicles and hindered any future growth. My only alternative is hair transplants which I just scheuled a consultation for.

BE CAREFUL LADIES!!!! Now I have to spend thousands of dollars to be able to pull my hair back again. I wish I had LHCF back then :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:!!!! Man... I need a hug!
Oh no!! :bighug: I am so so sorry to read this LadyBlu :nono: I guess at the least I'm happy to hear that there are alternative options that will get you back on track. Will the transplats hurt?? I hope not.

Platinum

:bighug: I agree witht the other ladies. I would seek a second opinion before going through with the transplant. Keep us posted on your situation and remember that we are a sisterhood and we are here for you.:kiss:

dcprdiva

Sorry to hear that... if you are in the Maryland area, I can recommend a WONDERFUL dermatologist (Black guy - wrote a chapter in Barry Fletcher's "Why are black women losing thier hair") and I'm sure he can help.
A lot of stuff works through scar tissue - so it isn't a "death" sentance.
Good luck girlie!

C.Nicole

Wow...Keep your head up girl.. My edges are bald (see fotki) and I dont even have an excuse....lol....

Be thankful for what you DO have and keep pushing... I know it can be discouraging though... All the best wishes to you..

Aggie

I too am sorry that this happened to you. I was watching an info-mercial this morning on a product called scalpmed that restored the lost hair of this black woman along with a few others whose hair came back after using. The website address is www.scalpmed.com. Check it out and see what they have to offer. I was so intrigued with it that I watched the entire program.

charmingt

Sorry to hear this.:nono: Have you tried scalp massages really improving your nutrition? There are certain vitamins and minerals and other nutrients that can "wake up" your scalp. There is always hope. I hope that things work out for your hair.

AtlantaJJ

I definately would go with the second opinion, I had traction alopeica, the derm said it was permanent but I didn't listen... I stopped getting relaxers, started using essential oils, megatek and other growth aids and now I have hairline and some hair!! Sulphur based growth aides seem to work best for me. I also swear by Botin and Silica...

Keep the faith girl, I am growing a healthy head full of hair when the told me I couldn't just 2 years ago.

ETA: Years of wearing micro braids caused my problem, I will never wear hair styles with tension again.

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I too am sorry that this happened to you. I was watching an info-mercial this morning on a product called scalpmed that restored the lost hair of this black woman along with a few others whose hair came back after using. The website address is www.scalpmed.com. Check it out and see what they have to offer. I was so intrigued with it that I watched the entire program.
I saw the infomercial too, there was a pretty black woman with an afro on there crying because she was so happy to have hair... very impressive.

MissNina

Libra Girl
Sorry to hear this, hun. But you never know what God can do and turn things around...do what you can and keep the faith! :yep:

Nonie

Hey LadyBlu, I'm sorry to hear this. I'd also go for a second opinion. Funny you should post this today. I was on Dr Pickart's website the other day and a lady who has alopecia that she believes is from braids and relaxers was given hope that her hair can grow back. I believe she has scarring alopecia which it seemed was said to be permanent, yet Dr Pickart recommended some of his products. I am hopeful this works for her and can't wait to hear updates. Here's the discussion:
http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/a/tpc/f/1990018252/m/2930071965

I also never say never. I am not saying that the trichologist is full of you-know-what, but if someone's going to gain from telling me that something is irreversible, I always take that info w/ a pinch of salt. I mean, how many times have we seen in the ads for Cancer Treatment Centers of America, people sharing how they were given a few months to live by one doctor and then they go to one of these centers and find doctors that practice integrated medicine who give them a new lease on life? So if you must get the implants, then do so. But if you have the patience to check out other avenues--like get a second opinion--then by all means, do it.

girlcherokee

i agree with the ladies here who advise the 2nd opinion and also looking at other options. nonie said it perfectly, dont take "no" for an answer and more than likely that "no" can and does turn to a "yes", with a bit of time and persistence! there is no easy road, so i have learned threw my few years on this planet, but there is a pot of gold at the end if that is what you would like and are willing to do what it takes to get there. big hugs to you!!! i know it was not easy to hear that!