Long-term Effects Of Semi-permanent Color: Has Anyone Experienced Damage/breakage?

Has Anyone Experienced Damage/Dryness/Breakage/Shedding From Semi Permanent Color?

• No Damage At All

• Breakage

• Increased Shedding

• Dryness

• Allergic Reaction

Results are only viewable after voting.

ILuvCurls

Hello Ladies! I'm wondering about long-term effects (at least 2 years or more) of using semi-permanent hair color---the types with no ammonia or peroxide that are marketed to be "very gentle". I would love to hear your experiences, good or bad.

I'm a fine-haired natural. I recently started using Clairol Beautiful Collection, both regular and "Advanced Gray" (mainly for grays at the hairline). I don't use heat during the application. I have nice color results, my grays turn a reddish-brown which resembles highlights. But I have the following concerns:

1) Dryness---Even though I add oils directly to the color and deep condition, I still have dryness. And for me, dryness leads to breakage!

2) Is it really "semi-permanent"? My grays never reverted back to their natural color. They are now reddish/dark blond. I don't mind that, but I'm concerned that this "semi" permanent color may not be so "gentle" since it's strong enough to leave what appears to be a permanent stain on my hair. Could this color possibly cause damage in the long run, especially on fine fragile hair? Help!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Semi permanent color just stains the outer layer of the hair. Like some stains, the color never completely fades.

Aa far as damage goes you should be fine unless you leave the color on too long or mix it with something like bleach or developer.

ILuvCurls

Semi permanent color just stains the outer layer of the hair. Like some stains, the color never completely fades.

Aa far as damage goes you should be fine unless you leave the color on too long or mix it with something like bleach or developer.

Thank you @Prettymetty. I don't use bleach or developer, and I leave the color (diluted with oil) in my hair for about 35 minutes. I try to apply only to the roots, but I tend to overlap onto the previously colored hair that still has some "stain" leftover on it. I hope I won't end up over-processing my hair in the long run.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I used to rinse my hair every other month when I was relaxed. I applied it all over each time without getting over-processed. If anything you might get protein overload if you rinse your hair too often. Most semipermanent color has protein so you have to follow up with a moisturizing dc.

ILuvCurls

I'm relaxed and use semi-perm color all the time. I have too many grey strands, and I prefer my hair black. I haven't colored in a while simply out of laziness though.

I think brand choice has a lot to do with dryness....

@InBloom do you know which brand/brands might not cause so much dryness?

Last edited:

ILuvCurls

I used to rinse my hair every other month when I was relaxed. I applied it all over each time without getting over-processed. If anything you might get protein overload if you rinse your hair too often. Most semipermanent color has protein so you have to follow up with a moisturizing dc.

@Prettymetty Thanks, I didn't realize that the Beautiful Collection might contain protein, if so it must be listed as an ingredient name that I don't recognize. And to top it off I was using a protein conditioner after coloring, thinking that I needed to strengthen & repair my hair! Normally my hair is OK with protein but yes, this may be too much. Next time I'll try a different conditioner and see how my hair feels.

InBloom

In my new-growth
@shortdub78 I need to dilute the color with something, otherwise it's too drying for me personally. I'm not sure if the oil is helping. I've had good luck adding a good-quality conditioner instead---my hair turns out softer and I still get good color.

You still get good color coverage adding conditioner?

ILuvCurls

You still get good color coverage adding conditioner?

Yes I still get the color coverage I want, perhaps because my hair is fine and porous. With Clairol's dark brown "Advanced Gray" semi color, my grays turn reddish brown and look like highlights which I like. I discovered this by experimenting with different color/conditioner ratios. I figure the less color I have to use, the better for my hair's health. I also got some ideas from a rinse thread here on LHCF, where ladies were adding no-peroxide rinses to their deep conditioning treatments for added shine and/or color.

Last edited:

ILuvCurls

I haven't done it like that before, but it seems like a creamy conditioner would make it easier to apply. I guess I could add 5 extra minutes and some heat to make sure it takes.

For some reason my natural hair barely takes color as it is :(

Yes a thick creamy conditioner does make it easier to apply, for me. Less dripping! Also I'm not as worried about the chemicals in the color when it's diluted with a good quality deep conditioner. I don't use heat myself, but I believe many ladies claim to get longer lasting and more intense color results with heat.

InBloom

In my new-growth
@shortdub78 @ILuvCurls

Just to wrap my head around this adding conditioner to color, or vice versa, do you let the mixture sit longer to ensure color take? Also, do you deep condition after rinsing the mixture out?

I may try this method because it's so messy and adding conditioner would lessen the drip.

ILuvCurls

@shortdub78 @ILuvCurls

Just to wrap my head around this adding conditioner to color, or vice versa, do you let the mixture sit longer to ensure color take? Also, do you deep condition after rinsing the mixture out?

I may try this method because it's so messy and adding conditioner would lessen the drip.

Below is what I use: The directions state to leave on for 25 minutes, heat is not necessary. Since I'm diluting it about 50/50 with conditioner I find 35 to 45 minutes works for me, but I'm only aiming for a tint that looks like highlights vs. full color. I shudder to think of the damage I'd probably do to my hair if I repeatedly dyed my grays all the way to darkest brown!

Concerning deep conditioning after rinsing; I try not to do much to my hair within 48 to 72 hours after coloring. Doing a lot of conditioning/manipulating directly afterwards, I find that a lot of color just goes down the drain. After rinsing the color out I apply a light conditioner for a couple of minutes, rinse with cool distilled water, apply moisturizing leave-ins and let dry naturally--no heat! I treat it very gently as it's more vulnerable after any process. After a couple of days the color seems to "set" and I can do conditioning treatments without losing as much color. Hope that helps.

Clairol AG.jpg

Last edited:

lana

Okay, I texlax and I use Clairol Semi Permanent, but I hadn't even heard of the Advanced Gray solution pictured above. I'm going to switch to that.

I don't get breakage with Semi-permanent rinses and texlaxing...I DO get breakage with Demi-permanent rinses and texlaxing.

I've switched back to Semi-permanent to color the gray hair in my bangs mostly. But I do have gray strands growing right above my ears and at the crown of my head.

I've been able to "Henna" the gray strands red...then wait two weeks and semi-permanent rinse the red strands black...but this only lasts for two weeks, until my new growth shows up. I've been at a crossroads, trying to figure out what to do. My hair is currently hovering over BSL after my last cut. I want to keep the length, but get rid of these pesky grays.

Indigo did nothing for me. No matter how I tried it, no matter how long I left it on. Nada.

ILuvCurls

Okay, I texlax and I use Clairol Semi Permanent, but I hadn't even heard of the Advanced Gray solution pictured above. I'm going to switch to that.

I don't get breakage with Semi-permanent rinses and texlaxing...I DO get breakage with Demi-permanent rinses and texlaxing.

I've switched back to Semi-permanent to color the gray hair in my bangs mostly. But I do have gray strands growing right above my ears and at the crown of my head.

I've been able to "Henna" the gray strands red...then wait two weeks and semi-permanent rinse the red strands black...but this only lasts for two weeks, until my new growth shows up. I've been at a crossroads, trying to figure out what to do. My hair is currently hovering over BSL after my last cut. I want to keep the length, but get rid of these pesky grays.

Indigo did nothing for me. No matter how I tried it, no matter how long I left it on. Nada.

I hear you. I've been at a crossroads as well, feeling confused about what to do. I too want to get rid of grays but still retain my length. Now that I'm coloring I'm worried my length might suffer. It's good to hear you don't get breakage with semi color, even coupled with texlaxing. Like you I mainly color the annoying grays around my bangs. I considered doing Henna with semi color vs. Indigo, but Henna didn't work for me, just made my hair drier & frizzier than before.

Not to change the subject but since you mentioned texlaxing, I've been considering it for a while but as with color, I'm afraid of damage. I'd like to learn more about it though.....maybe I can find some texlaxing threads on here. (I wonder if I could do a 50/50 conditioner mix with that process as well, just as I do with semi color. I don't want straight hair at all, just smoother, less frizzy, wash 'n wear curls.)

Last edited:

ILuvCurls

Also, sometimes I mix the semi perm color with this Aveda color-conditioner. It adds more color than plain conditioner and also tones down the reddish tint somewhat. It's also good for using in between coloring, it helps preserve your color a bit longer.

IMG_3181.JPG

ILuvCurls

the grays around my hairline laugh at semi-permanent color :(

I'm going to do crochet braids in a couple of weeks to help with stretching relaxer and color

Yes I guess that's the biggest problem with semi colors; they're not strong enough or long lasting enough for many people.

Do your grays revert completely back to their original color or do they retain some of the "stain" from the semi color? My hair may be very porous because my grays never completely revert back. They didn't with Henna either, they were bright red/orange forever. I don't know if that's normal.

LeftRightRepeat

Yes I guess that's the biggest problem with semi colors; they're not strong enough or long lasting enough for many people.

Do your grays revert completely back to their original color or do they retain some of the "stain" from the semi color? My hair may be very porous because my grays never completely revert back. They didn't with Henna either, they were bright red/orange forever. I don't know if that's normal.

They turn back to gray. The hair by my hairline is very coarse...maybe 4c...I've heard (but don't know how true it is) that the texture can make a difference as to how well the hair takes color?

ILuvCurls

They turn back to gray. The hair by my hairline is very coarse...maybe 4c...I've heard (but don't know how true it is) that the texture can make a difference as to how well the hair takes color?

Yes I believe that is probably true. My hair is fine (and too fragile to do much with it) maybe 3b to 3c I'm not sure--I never heard of this hair typing system until I started reading LHCF. :)

Evolving78

@shortdub78 @ILuvCurls

I would leave it in a little longer than recommended, then use a rinse out conditioner afterwards. Wait to cowash or wash your hair for 5-7.