(Sigh) The Damage is Permanent

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Hey LadyBlu, I'm sorry to hear this. I'd also go for a second opinion. Funny you should post this today. I was on Dr Pickart's website the other day and a lady who has alopecia that she believes is from braids and relaxers was given hope that her hair can grow back. I believe she has scarring alopecia which it seemed was said to be permanent, yet Dr Pickart recommended some of his products. I am hopeful this works for her and can't wait to hear updates. Here's the discussion:
http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/a/tpc/f/1990018252/m/2930071965

I also never say never. I am not saying that the trichologist is full of you-know-what, but if someone's going to gain from telling me that something is irreversible, I always take that info w/ a pinch of salt. I mean, how many times have we seen in the ads for Cancer Treatment Centers of America, people sharing how they were given a few months to live by one doctor and then they go to one of these centers and find doctors that practice integrated medicine who give them a new lease on life? So if you must get the implants, then do so. But if you have the patience to check out other avenues--like get a second opinion--then by all means, do it.

Excellent information! :up:

blazingthru

I know with God all things are possible and I believe there might be another way. Don't throw in the towel just yet. See someone else. There are new things coming up everyday. Oh I really feel for you. But I truly believe this will too pass.

pinkchocolatedaisy

So sorry to hear your bad news.. but like the others said, I would try another opinion. And don't always believe what these docs tell you. Never say never. Sometimes they are wrong.

caribgirl

I definately would go with the second opinion, I had traction alopeica, the derm said it was permanent but I didn't listen... I stopped getting relaxers, started using essential oils, megatek and other growth aids and now I have hairline and some hair!! Sulphur based growth aides seem to work best for me. I also swear by Botin and Silica...

Keep the faith girl, I am growing a healthy head full of hair when the told me I couldn't just 2 years ago.

ETA: Years of wearing micro braids caused my problem, I will never wear hair styles with tension again.

ITA!! I suspect that I have traction alopecia but I am not giving up!!! Listen to the ladies and please get a second opinion and don't give up either- We are all here for you, sis!!!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I'm so discouraged! I finally broke down and went to a trichonologist (is that how you spell it?) about my practically bald edges, and he preformed a scalp analysis on me and basically concluded that my hairline damage is permanent. It appears that the excessvie pulling around my hairline from braids (micros, cornrows, etc. ) from years ago has caused scar tissue to form at the follicles and hindered any future growth. My only alternative is hair transplants which I just scheuled a consultation for.

BE CAREFUL LADIES!!!! Now I have to spend thousands of dollars to be able to pull my hair back again. I wish I had LHCF back then :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:!!!! Man... I need a hug!

Here's a hug. :hug2: I'm sorry this happened to you. Everything will work out. This is why I don't wear braids like that. I sort of cringe a little when I read that someone is putting in braids. I know the damage it can cause if you are not very, very careful. Were you natural or relaxed when you got them?

LadyBlu

Thanks for all the well wishes sistas. I did come across an Indian Doctor that has some Ayurvedic treatments for hair loss that cost considerably less. I'm thinking this doc wants to make a quick 6 grand. I am going to the consultation, but I am keeping my options open.

My hair length and thickness has changed tremendously since finding LHCY, but nothing has worked for my edges. I can't wear my hair back at all because of my edges, and I want to pull my hair back sometimes. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you all posted.

SoulElegance

I just started treating my edges in february and going natural with locs. The right side of my edges are growing in slowly but surely but the left side is starting to worry me. It does not seem to be growing. I am thinking that maybe the left side will grow slower and I am talking 20 years of hair abuse. Is it possible for the right side to grow and not the left? Please tell me this ain't so. I really want to wear my baby locs out in the open but definitly not going that route with a left bald edge, walking around looking like a baldy loc reject. Anyone know what's up?

joib

OMG! I am so sorry. Are you sure there in NO OTHER WAY? It is so extreme. Again I am sorry:sad::nono::sad: