::Sigh:: The quest for the perfect leave in conditioner!

candibaby

Kenra Daily Provision (H-2 minus a few ingredients, maybe it will work better)

I've never tried this but..
Biolage Leave In Tonic.. it's supposed to be a creamy liquid leave in.. a lot of ladies here seem to like it.

Tracy

I had the same experience with Motions....

I also prefer watery leave ins, but I find my hair likes creams better as it gets longer...

Salerm has been working well and no matter how much u usually use, you just don't need as much of it to do the job, so it's worth the cost IMO. I also find my hair aridries better with creams.

Also, Biolage and Arosci are good as far as watery leave ins go, as they both provide a nice amount of slip. If you're looking for something really low cost try using a cheapie conditioner like Suave or V05 instead.

miracle

Champagne_Wishes said:
Has anyone tried that leave-in by Black n' Sassy called Caribbean Leave-in? That stuff looks so promising.

Before finding Salerm 21, Black n' Sassy Caribbean was my staple leave-in. It's very creamy, but very light and moisturizing....didn't weigh my hair down at all.

miracle

Porsche19 said:
6) Razac- loved it for a long time, but it has no “good” ingredients like proteins/vitamins/oils. I notice that my hair looks better when I use a leave in with the good stuff.

I've been using Razac followed by Salerm 21 as my leave-in, and I'm lovin' the soft, silky results. Maybe using it in combination and/or mixing it with another leave-in will give you good results.

Porsche19 said:
As you may have noticed from my list, I prefer liquid leave-ins. Or at least, I used too. Now I’ll try creamy ones since all of the liquids are failing on me.

Mane n' Tail Moisture Enriched Hair Strengthener is a great liquid leave-in.

sylver2

Recently started using leave ins for 1st time.

Love
RUSK sensories smoother aloe texturizing leave in conditioner/wet hair
&
NTM Silk Touch Leave in Cream on damp or dry hair

naomi

good skin and hair
I really like mizani thermastrength serum- its a creamy leave-in that leaves your hair nourshed and soft.

Porsche19

Allandra said:
Please tell us what 'you' consider good ingredients so we can better help you out. What is 'the good stuff' for your hair

Stuff like wheat/silk prtein, pathenol, oils...

you know, the good stuff :D

dreemssold

I love Salerm21, but what about just buying a larger bottle of Infusium, since the bottle size seems to be the biggest problem there?

Porsche19

Poohbear said:
I use Motions Nourish leave-in. I started using it during the end of 2003. When did they change the formula???

I dunno, probably very recently, since I buy it a lot. Last month is the first time I bought a new bottle.

Porsche19

dreemssold said:
I love Salerm21, but what about just buying a larger bottle of Infusium, since the bottle size seems to be the biggest problem there?

infusium makes my hair hard.

I only like it when I use heat on my hair (not often)

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. Tomorrow I'm going to be in the bss for an hour comparing new leave-ins to try and I have all of you to thank! :lol:

gloomgeisha

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
I love using African Pride African Miracle leave-in conditioner hair & scalp strengthening tonic. It cost $4.29 to $5. It makes my hair shiny, soft with no frizz and it also strengthens my hair strands. I was trying to find the ingredients on a website but I couldn't find it. It has mostly herbs as the main ingredients. Here is a picture of the bottle:

I hope this helps I prefer using this than the Nexxus volumizing leave-in conditoner.

I definitely second that! I was hoping I wasn't the only one who liked this product. I just discovered it a week ago but I like the results so far.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Hi Porsche19:D ,

Sorry for taking a long time to get back to you with the ingredients. But here goes:

Recipe:African herbal liquid complex (Indian Hemp, Nettle, Rosemary, Burdock, Birch, Rose Hips, Irish Moss, Coltsfoot, Wild cherry bark, Dandelion, Elder flowers, Shave grass, Echinacea), Aloe vera, PEG-8, Dimethicone Copolyol, Collagen, DL Panthenol, Allantoin, Cetyl Pyridinium Chloride, PEG-75 Lanolin, Polyquatemium 10, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea.
Hope you like it.

jasmin

My favorites are:

Rusk Sensories Smoother leave in
Salerm 21
Elucence Conditioner (use it as a regular and a leave in a=

I want to try Lacio Lacio & Sheamoisture

longhairgoal

I'm on the Biolage bandwagon. It is a bit more expensive, but, like Isis said, it definitely lasts a long time. I don't particularly like the leave-in treatment's fragrance, but its performance is the best.

foxybronx

My favorite of all time is the Keracare leave-in conditioner. It soo expensive though, My runner up is the Razac leave in.

carmend

I have very dry hair that just swallows up oil in seconds :perplexed About 3 months ago I started using Organics liquid leave in hair mayo. And it has quickly become a MUST HAVE in the supply closet :)

I HIGHLY recommend it.

kitchen_tician

Champagne_Wishes said:
Has anyone tried that leave-in by Black n' Sassy called Caribbean Leave-in? That stuff looks so promising.

I tried Black n' Sassy's Caribbean Leave In and it left my hair feeling brittle and dryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! It smells great, but that's about it. It may work better on natural hair. :ahwell:

LoriLOCX

Hi Everyone.....

I read everyone's comments, but the one thing I didn't get was "what type of hair" are you recommending these leave-ins for????

I relax my own hair with Affirm and use mostly KeraCare and Nexxus. I'm not mixed, so my hair is truly in need of a relaxer if I want straight hair. I took a Cosmetology course just to learn more about african-american hair.

Leave-ins used depend on your hair type. Questions that I think about while reading your comments are:

* Does oil weigh your hair down? Maybe too much oil in your routine.
* Is your hair left dull looking - lack luster and shine? Egg is a great shiner.
* Is it left brittle and dry? Too much protein, and you need moisture!!!
* Does your hair feel gummy/over-conditioned? Sounds like a bad product, or you simply used wwaaayyy too much!

I don't really use products out of the beauty store. I use beautician only products because they are usually much better quality and if you really want them, you can order them online and they WILL ship them to you. There are soooo many products out there, it's hard to decide. Check and see if you can find samples to buy, and try it before you invest into something you may end up throwing away.

I could honestly make recommendations for different hair types, but I like to recommend (just like all of you) what I like. Most manufacturers encourage you to stick with one line so they work synergistically together. This is true, but sometimes...we all know, that just don't work and we need something else.

=======================================
Here's something for the 70's!!!!! Tried and true from grandma....
1/2 cup mayonnaise + 1 egg + 1 tablespoon Olive Oil. You got a hair emergency and need immediate saving this is the bomb!!!! Egg is protein, so don't do it too much! Once a month is good.

KeraCare leave in is good. So is BBD Stretch Growth Creme and their KEOLA Oil. My hair can't take alot of oil, it weighs it down, so just a few drops after styling work wonders for me. I still have dryness if I don't put something on my scalp and in my hair everyday. I use oil moisturizer and hair creme by KeraCare. Sometimes the haircreme isn't enough, so I use Dudley's Hair and Scalp Conditioner. Some weeks I need oil on my ends so I use Nexxus Botanic Oil...but if I use too much, my hair looks too oily.

Design Essentials has a hydrating leave-in that's also good. I've tried Aphogee. Used too often can dry your hair out. Pantene and grocery store stuff doesn't thrill me. Tried it...didn't like it. Just tried to save a buck. Now I'm not saying you can't buy a good product, but your hair will tell you what it likes and what it doesn't.

Hope this is helpful to you all.

sylver2

LoriLOCX said:
Leave-ins used depend on your hair type. Questions that I think about while reading your comments are:

* Does oil weigh your hair down? Maybe too much oil in your routine.
* Is your hair left dull looking - lack luster and shine? Egg is a great shiner.
* Is it left brittle and dry? Too much protein, and you need moisture!!!
* Does your hair feel gummy/over-conditioned? Sounds like a bad product, or you simply used wwaaayyy too much!

I don't really use products out of the beauty store. I use beautician only products because they are usually much better quality and if you really want them, you can order them online and they WILL ship them to you. There are soooo many products out there, it's hard to decide. Check and see if you can find samples to buy, and try it before you invest into something you may end up throwing away.
I could honestly make recommendations for different hair types, but I like to recommend (just like all of you) what I like. Most manufacturers encourage you to stick with one line so they work synergistically together. This is true, but sometimes...we all know, that just don't work and we need something else.

=======================================
Here's something for the 70's!!!!! Tried and true from grandma....
1/2 cup mayonnaise + 1 egg + 1 tablespoon Olive Oil. You got a hair emergency and need immediate saving this is the bomb!!!! Egg is protein, so don't do it too much! Once a month is good.

KeraCare leave in is good. So is BBD Stretch Growth Creme and their KEOLA Oil. My hair can't take alot of oil, it weighs it down, so just a few drops after styling work wonders for me. I still have dryness if I don't put something on my scalp and in my hair everyday. I use oil moisturizer and hair creme by KeraCare. Sometimes the haircreme isn't enough, so I use Dudley's Hair and Scalp Conditioner. Some weeks I need oil on my ends so I use Nexxus Botanic Oil...but if I use too much, my hair looks too oily.

Design Essentials has a hydrating leave-in that's also good. I've tried Aphogee. Used too often can dry your hair out. Pantene and grocery store stuff doesn't thrill me. Tried it...didn't like it. Just tried to save a buck. Now I'm not saying you can't buy a good product, but your hair will tell you what it likes and what it doesn't.

Hope this is helpful to you all.

Thank you, your suggestions were good.
As far as you not using drugstore or beauty supply store products, thats certainly your decision. I'm sure you use what works best for your hair as others wether it be either, or.
Each line has good and bad products, many of the exclusive salon products your talking about own drugstore products as well and have similar ingredients.
I use what works best for my hair and what works best is the NTM line which is from drugstore and a couple of products from Salon such as Rusk.
Most of us have our hair type in siggys, so when a product is recommended you often see whose hair type has had success with it.
I have thick coarse hair and thats what I look for in a product, taming.

My favorite Leave in conditioner is
Rusk Smoother Sensories Aloe texturizing leave in conditioner
They do have a lighter version for people with thin hair.
My other favorite leave in is
NTM Silk touch leave in creme
Its to light for my hair wet. So I use this as a styling creme when hair is dry. I will put it on my bantu knots, or just before I do a dooby wrap and tie with scarf. Comes out silky and smooth.

Honeyhips

Lovely
I like beauty without cruelty's leave in. It is creamy, but almost like a creamy liquid. I keep going back to this. I can't compare it to the dominican stuff yet though.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
The leave in I've been using lately is Jamacian Mango & lime Cactus Leave in Moisturizer. I'm transitioning and allows me to comb through my hair to do a pony tail with out breakage and without actually re-wetting it every morning. With one application my newgrowth will remain combable for 2-3 days. I don't know how relaxed hair would respond as far as remaining straight, its marketed towared natural hair folx or folx with locs. I cant remember how my hair responded to it when it was straightend and all i'm doing lately is airdrying or pulling it into a pony tail to dry. It has sort of a between gel -watery consistency (not too watery, it will run if you pour it in your hands but not as firm as a gel.) I dont know how to describe the fragrance but its light and I like it. I paid 3.49 for 8 oz at a local asian beauty shop. I dont know your hair length or how you are styling it but it normally lasts me over a month up to two, but I dont use it every day either. Right now my hair is about 10 inches including the 3-4 inches of new growth. This stuff makes my new grow VERY manageable. I've used it in combination with the elasta mango butter and basic oil moisturizers.

Info from package:
-Extracts & Retains Natural Moisture
-Repairs Damaged & Dry Locks
-No Buildup

Ingredients: Cactus Blend Extract, Cactus Blossom Cactus Seed Extract, Cactus Root Extract, Cactus Flower Oil, Carrot Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Shea Butter, Aloe, Jojoba Oil, Essence of Lime, Essence of Mango, Methyparaben & Fragrance.

The also make some really nice oil products I like.

HTH

LoriLOCX

sylver2 said:
Thank you, your suggestions were good.
As far as you not using drugstore or beauty supply store products, thats certainly your decision. I'm sure you use what works best for your hair as others wether it be either, or.
Each line has good and bad products, many of the exclusive salon products your talking about own drugstore products as well and have similar ingredients.
I use what works best for my hair and what works best is the NTM line which is from drugstore and a couple of products from Salon such as Rusk.
Most of us have our hair type in siggys, so when a product is recommended you often see whose hair type has had success with it.
I have thick coarse hair and thats what I look for in a product, taming.

My favorite Leave in conditioner is
Rusk Smoother Sensories Aloe texturizing leave in conditioner
They do have a lighter version for people with thin hair.
My other favorite leave in is
NTM Silk touch leave in creme
Its to light for my hair wet. So I use this as a styling creme when hair is dry. I will put it on my bantu knots, or just before I do a dooby wrap and tie with scarf. Comes out silky and smooth.

Sylver2 is right!!!!! (Don't ever mean to offend or criticize...)
I was too tired to continue writing my response first time, but let me add....
Everyone finds what works for them eventually (hopefully!!) whether it's from the drugstore, grocery store, beauty supply, or online. Bottomline is, there is so much out there...good and bad. And yes, some good manufacturers make products that aren't so great..or as great as some of their others. We always have a choice. I get confused at times because it's overwhelming to make that choice some times.

Last edited: