signs of overprocessed hair

Falon

Look at my hair pics and you will know....hair that is relaxed to super straightness and is absolutely limp plastered to the scalp....look how flat my hair is in my december pic. You will see a lot of breakage in a few days post relaxer and you never get any measurable growth because of it. Also I notice I had a ton of broken hairs like a halo around the top of my head. From the silly wench over lapping the relaxer in the front.
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ur_muse75/detail?.dir=/ce03&.dnm=4d06.jpg

I know I got a big forehead and having my hair all flat and plastered to my head didn't make it look any smaller. Wish I had a better pic but that is the only one.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
According to "Let's Talk Hair":

1. Wet your hair thoroughly. Hold the hair midway between fingers of both hands and stretch the hair; if the hair tears or rips easily -- something is wrong! Strong healthy hair has an elastic nature and easily stretches and returns to it's original length.

2. If your hair mats and sticks together when it's wet -- something is wrong!

3. Is your hair thin, limp, and flat when wet and feels like straw and looks ashy when dry? If yes -- something is wrong!

AnjelLuvs

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you solve this problem, this was the main reason why I had to cut my hair about a year and a half ago.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:

1. Wet your hair thoroughly. Hold the hair midway between fingers of both hands and stretch the hair; if the hair tears or rips easily -- something is wrong! Strong healthy hair has an elastic nature and easily stretches and returns to it's original length.

3. Is your hair thin, limp, and flat when wet and feels like straw and looks ashy when dry? If yes -- something is wrong!

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom relaxes my entire hair hair and I havent experienced any of these signs of overprocessed hair...maybe the second one a few times but I was able to deal with it...

Tracy

All of the above but adding: See through ends. Overprocessed hair (particularly hair that has been overprocessed several time) is always see through somewhere along the shaft. If you can see the color of you shirt through your hair, that's bad business.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
All of the above but adding: See through ends. Overprocessed hair (particularly hair that has been overprocessed several time) is always see through somewhere along the shaft. If you can see the color of you shirt through your hair, that's bad business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...I definitely have see-through ends...but I also used to use curling irons in the past...double damage from relaxer and heat!

...I might as well just grow out my hair or use the bun method to help me go natural or something...(I bet some of u all are like "don't tell me Poohbear changed her mind about transitioning again!")

UmSumayyah

Also, super frizzy hair that feels rough when dry no matter how nicely you treat it. I recently noticed running my hands along my hair that the last 3 inches or so felt very rough all the time. These ends have been overlapped several times.

amina kamal

UmSumayyah said:
Also, super frizzy hair that feels rough when dry no matter how nicely you treat it. I recently noticed running my hands along my hair that the last 3 inches or so felt very rough all the time. These ends have been overlapped several times.

I definitely agree, the overprocessed hair will fee dry and frizzy even after the best dc session. Also overprocessed hair tangles easily and requires a lot of heat in order to get the cuticles to lie flat.