Silk or Satin?

Which is better for hair?

• Total voters

hottopic

I just made a purchase on www.tenderheaded.com for satin pillow cases and silk srunchies. From what I see on the website you can sleep on both silk or satin. I am not sure, but I think I remember reading that some of you wrap your hair with a stain head wrap. But some of you sleep in a silk bonnets. I am confused. Which is better to sleep in silk or satin? :confused:

L

lkg4healthyhair

I sleep in a silk scarf and I have a satin pillow case.

BTW I bought a new satin bonnet on Friday that has a draw string, and as I was reading the package it read 100% Polyester....

daviine

I prefer silk. Not all of my experiences with satin have been positive. Sometimes it cheap, sometimes it isn't.

MeechUK

MeechUK
Silk is definitely the best for me. I managed to get hold of some large silk scarves very cheaply and from the first night I noticed the difference! The next morning my hair was softer moisturised and looked as if I had just had my hair done, it had retained the style much better than any imitation type silk or satin. From this point on only silk works, no matter how loosely I tie my headscarf it stays put.

MeechUK

brickhouse

MeechUK said:
Silk is definitely the best for me. I managed to get hold of some large silk scarves very cheaply and from the first night I noticed the difference! The next morning my hair was softer moisturised and looked as if I had just had my hair done, it had retained the style much better than any imitation type silk or satin. From this point on only silk works, no matter how loosely I tie my headscarf it stays put.

MeechUK

I am going to go to a fabric store and find some silk material and use them as scarves. When I have curls in my hair and sleep in a satin bonnet. My curls are flat the next morning. :mad:

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Although I've almost always used satin bonnets, I am going to start looking for silk headgear for sleeping when I wear my hair straight. The reason for the switch is because satin is synthetic and I believe silk would breathe better, letting the heat from my scalp out. That way, there's less chance of my hairstyle being ruined from the excess moisture. Satin pillow cases aren't an option because I rarely :sleep8: on my pillows.

Healthb4Length

I like both, I sleep with a silk bonnet and if it slips off while I sleep I know I will be okay because my pillow cases are satin.

Isis

I prefer silk because it is natural and seems to keep my hair moisturized. A good satin scarf will do the same though but I've found that all satin is not equal. I sleep on silk pillowcases and use a silk bonnet (from tenderheaded.com). I also wear silk and satin scarves, carrying the satin ones around with me since they are inexpensive if I lose one.

You hair is beautiful Daviine!! Great progress! :up:

Jewell

Both are good for the hair, because they don't suck the moisture/oil out of the hair like cotton or polyester, and they allow the hair to lay smooth and flat. I have both types of scarves, but I prefer my satin one, because the one I have that is silk must be 100% pure silk (kind of like raw silk fabric), because it has sort of a rough texture to it, and it does take a little of the oil out of my hair. I don't own any silk/satin pillowcases, because I tie my hair up with a satin scarf, and put a satin bonnet on the back.

Last edited:
as far as minimal abrasion on the hair they are both good. BUT keep in mind satin is usually made of cotton, acetate, or polyester.

Isis

Ar010 said:
as far as minimal abrasion on the hair they are both good. BUT keep in mind satin is usually made of cotton, acetate, or polyester.
That's true. I've learned that satin is actually a smooth finish of a fabric. The big satin scarves at Sally's are polyester, I think.

hottopic

Thank you for the response. I purchased the satin pillow case, but in the mean while I will look for a silk head scarf or bonnet. Since I just ordered I am going to wait until my next paycheck until I can go shopping again.

Neroli

Silk is a natural fabric. Satin is NOT a fabric, but rather a FINISH or WEAVE that can be use on almost ANY synthetic or natural fabric. Natural fabrics include cotton, silk, wool, etc. Synthetic fabrics include polyester, nylon, rayon, etc.

Satin is very tightly woven finish which provides one of the smoothest, seamless finish to most fabrics (chiffon is also a very smooth finish or weave, and NOT a fabric).

Thus, you can have a satin cotton, satin silk, satin polyester, etc.

Silk can have a variety of "finishes" from a smooth seamless satin finish to a rough texture 100 woven silk sweater -- all silks are NOT necessarily smooth textured -- it depends on the weave/finish.

I find that satin silks don't stay on my head at night because they're too "slippery" but satin polyesters or chiffon polyesters do a great job. IMO, as long as the FINISH is smooth and seamless (look for "satin" or "chiffon" finishes), your hair is gonna be fine. I tried the satin silks and just can't keep them on, plus, they're expensive to buy AND maintain -- most of the satin silks have to dry cleaned, whereas my satin polyesters can be hand washed and are waaaay cheaper. Unfortunately, a lot on-line retailers just say "satin" and DON'T make the distinction between FABRIC and FINISH and I have to call and ask what kind of FABRIC is it? If they can't tell me, I don't buy.

I hope this helps clear some of the confusion between "satin" and "silk". . .

cafe au lait

I use 100% pure silk scarf at night. it makes my hair feel soft and moisturized.
I must add that I oil my scalp everynight with mizani comfiderm oil and use mizani H20 intense night time treatment on my hair.

I always wondered about this...but I figured that the silk would be better. I sleep with my ends in a baggy anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter :ohwell:

tnorenberg

hottopic said:
I just made a purchase on www.tenderheaded.com for satin pillow cases and silk srunchies. From what I see on the website you can sleep on both silk or satin. I am not sure, but I think I remember reading that some of you wrap your hair with a stain head wrap. But some of you sleep in a silk bonnets. I am confused. Which is better to sleep in silk or satin? :confused:
I prefer satin pillowcases , but I refuse to spend the high prices at tenderheaded.com. I bought mine at shopsatin.com. They are way cheaper like $7.00 a case and they have way more colors. The quality is good too, nice and thick. I bought two for all the beds in my house.

missnappylady

This is a really interesting thread. I assumed it made no difference which one was used. I'm off to the fabric store to buy some silk.

Wishin4BSL

Satin scarves never stay on my head. They always slide off. I have to use silk scarves, but my pillows are satin. Plus the silk makes my hair come out neat and in place. It also seems like my hair holds more moisture with silk scarves.

ladybug71

Alli77 said:
I like both, I sleep with a silk bonnet and if it slips off while I sleep I know I will be okay because my pillow cases are satin.

Ditto. My scarves never stay on all night, so I have the satin pillowcase for backup.

Tee

mochamadness said:
I personally sleep in a silk scarf, but I think satin is just as good.

What she said. :)
I use a Satin Pillowcases since I keep a silk scarf on my hair.

adw425

A stylist told me about sleeping in a silk scarf years ago and so I slept in a silk scarf for a long time and it always kept my hair nice and smooth. I only went to satin about 14 months ago when I started wetting my hair almost every night and sealing with oil/butter. I went to satin because I have to wash my scarves several times a week and satin is much cheaper and you can just hand wash them. I just recently slept in a silk scarf for a couple of nights, but there was no difference in how my hair felt at all.