Silk wraps really do work!!

I tried this yesterday and it really didn’t work well with me L…. I will note that doing the elastic bands on each roller-set did make my roots straighter. Basically when it was all said and done I still ended up going over it with a flat iron. I may try this again, I think one of my main mistakes is I used castor oil and probably to much of it also I feel I need to use something lighter when roller-setting my hair, I previously used my homemade butter cream. In my opinion my hair looks better if I roller-set then jus flat iron it all, I did get compliments on it today but the whole process took to long and my hair was not as sleek and bouncy, I think I used the wrong products tho L

my silk wrap didn't turn out so good. I still posted the steps on my fotki....my hair was still wet after the ponytail set and I think my scuncies were too big to pull my hair straight and get it to dry the hair under it... I will try again tomorrow and hopefully I will let my entire head dry. My hair came out poofy (boo!) but it was extremely soft though (Yay!) So far from reading everyones comments: serums (aka cuticle smoothers) are the best way to go. Can I use FANTASIA IC HAIR POLISH STYLISH GEL W/ SPARKLE LITES or what are some other moisturizers do yall use before you rollerset and wrap?

Poka, I know I'm late but I gotta say it again. You HAIR is GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for the post...I'm trying this tomorrow night!

Aww, better luck next time Qetesh and WillyGWifey. Thanks for reporting back.

Thanks Lavendar :). Let me know how it comes out.

Qetesh said:
I tried this yesterday and it really didn’t work well with me L…. I will note that doing the elastic bands on each roller-set did make my roots straighter. Basically when it was all said and done I still ended up going over it with a flat iron. I may try this again, I think one of my main mistakes is I used castor oil and probably to much of it also I feel I need to use something lighter when roller-setting my hair, I previously used my homemade butter cream. In my opinion my hair looks better if I roller-set then jus flat iron it all, I did get compliments on it today but the whole process took to long and my hair was not as sleek and bouncy, I think I used the wrong products tho L

I agree with you...I know using Motions Wrapping Foam would make my hair hard but it made my hair easy to comb. so after my hair was dry...I found it difficult to comb out my ponytails and curls (cause they were tight) into a wrap.. Any suggestions?

p.s. part of my hair was straight cause the saran wrap was tight. How do I get it tight towards the middle of my hair?

Last edited:
Ok, so i'm doing this tomorrow 'cause i want straight hair without direct heat and i was wondering, does anyone airdry their rollerset before they wrap and add the saran wrap? Do i even have to rollerset at all?

I tried this! It works great. Flattened out rmy wavy roots and the kinks/bends left by the roller pins. I was afraid to use a lot of moisturizer so I spritzed a little with the Ojon hydrating spray, then wrapped with the saran wrap and sat under the dryer for just 15 minutes.

Alli77 said:
I tried this and I think it might work. I had my hair pressed on Thursday but it rained that night and all of Friday. THat made my hair frizzy and puffy, I tried the silk wrap on Saturday and it smoothed down those frizzy parts and made my hair shiny and my ends look MUCH better (they need to be dusted). I'll post updates soon.

So u didnt rewash your hair when you did this?

Does anyone have a tutorial so that we can see how this is actually done? I mean with the saran wrap and all. TIA

caramelle said:
So u didnt rewash your hair when you did this?

No I didn't because I had only washed my hair 3 days or so before and I paid a grip to get it pressed too so I wasn't about to wash it. I tried to keep as straight as long as I could and it lasted for a week a half which is a new record for me.

Ok, I have to try this next time I straighten. I love doing rollersets but i am always afraid to flat iron afterwards because all that direct heat. I will try to remember to take pics for a tutorial when I do it.

sapphire74 said:
Does anyone have a tutorial so that we can see how this is actually done? I mean with the saran wrap and all. TIA

I have it on my fotki with the steps and all but I am still experimenting with the products because the upper half of my head, the hair came out poof (the saran wrap wasn't tight there) and the rest came out straight (but it could be better)...the silk wrap steps are there (saran wrap and all) but I highly suggest to not using wrapping foam.

well---i got my 'silk wrap' today. i like it---my hair is very light. she did hers diff. than any i've seen---no rollers. She used direct heat--so i'm not to fond of that part--but since i don't use heat anyother times really---this method may be doable for me.

*washed/conditoned
*put part on side of head i wanted and combed her down and but under dryer with hair hanging down and not wrapped
*she applied a glosser and flat ironed my hair
*wrapped w/ a wrap/paddle brush (since i've learned about these a month ago--my wraps have been awesome)
*saran wrapped my hair--under dryer for 5 min
*came out--she combed it down and that's it!

took pics--but i can't reveal till 4/1.

did not read the whole thread but your hair does look beautiful and I am going to go a buy and head dry sometime next month hopefully.

Back