Skilled henna users PLEEEEASEEEE respond ...

Lebiya

Hi ladies!

Im looking for the best Henna recipes for dry 4b natural THIN hair- Because I’m not hennaing for the dying purpose …I’d like to use Indigo as well as the henna for a darker colour. My main purpose is the thicken up my hair drastically.

What is the best henna / indigo recipe that has worked for you to thicken up your hair?

Also I head there are some hennas’ that are not good for your hair -that has other stuff added to it which can affect your hair when it’s time to perm it etc..

what is the best henna and why?

please tell me step by step how you mix it- and any other ingredients you add to get your thicker and more body

This will be my first time doing both henna and indigo so I’m not even sure how to do it. Do you do mix he henna and indigo together and apply it? If so how long do you wait until you do the Indigo? I have lots of questions but I don’t even know where to start…I know there are TONS of other henna threads out there but they are soo long and I always find myself asking lots more questions :perplexed

Also please post a link to where you purchase your henna and indigo if you can-thanks!

JLove74

if you want darker color, do a 50:50 mix of henna and indigo. Let the henna release 1st, then mix the indigo with warm water, let it sit for a few minutes, add to the henna and apply to hair

if you want black color, let henna release, apply to hair, rinse and then add indigo, let it sit and rinse and condition as usual

the best henna to use is Jamila, but I'm partial to Reshma. Both are very good IMO. As long as you stick with BAQ (Body Art Quality) henna, you will be fine.

My 1st henna purchase was from www.hennaforhair.com, but now I just get it at my local Indian grocery store. I use a very simple mix of henna and water letting it release for at least 6 hours, adding a splash of oil and conditioner or yoghurt and then applying to dry hair. Let it sit for at least 3 hours, rinse, rinse, rinse and wash 1 time with moiturizing poo and DC with moisturizing condish.

Since you have dry hair, I would suggest not adding any Terps (ACV, lemon juice etc) since they can be very drying.

Here is a small bit of info and pics I have: http://picasaweb.google.com/Jlove74

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

Sareca and some others are the truely skilled henna users. But here's my 2 cents:

I found this recipe (thanks to LaFlaca): She only leaves it in for about an hour.

Henna Gloss 1 (LaFlaca)

3 Henna Samples from hennaforhair.com
1 Indigo Sample
1 Amla Sample

Mix henna with warm water, honey, oils, & condish.
1 hour later add water to Amla/indigo powder and mixed with Henna

Apply to hair and leave it for 1 hour. (30 minutes with heat)

Henna Gloss 2 (LaFlaca)

1/3 Cup of Henna mixed with a little bit of water and left it overnight
1/3 Cup of Amla/Indigo (I mixed both to make the 1/3 cup)
½ Can of Coconut milk

Next day I added the amla/indigo mix(without water) to the henna and coconut milk.
I applied to my hair and left it for 30 minutes without heat.

My Henna Gloss (inspired by LaFlaca)

A box of Jamila Henna mixed w/distilled water. Let sit overnight.
Next morning, added Indigo, Paprika, Cassia Obovata, Amla
Next, microwaved: Coconut milk, coconut oil, honey, jojoba oil, Nexxus Humectress, Tresemme Remoisturize Cond.
Added it all in paste. Then on to my hair. Wrapped w/saran for 45 mins.

I just recently did this and I have no breakage, hair feels strong. Pics in fotki.

My Indigo Gloss

*Lemon Juice (to release color of henna)
When I do this gloss again, I will not add the lemon, too drying for my hair.

The following for moisture, softness, and conditioning benefits:
*Honey
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*Coconut Milk
*Nexxus Humectress Moisturizing Conditioner

I mixed the lemon juice w/henna powder in two of the plastic snap-on bowls, and let it sit overnight.

Then about an hour before applying the mix, I added in the rest of the ingredients, and mixed it into a consistency similar to a relaxer.

Add henna mix to hair (for about 30 mins) under heat (when I did this I left it in for hours, too long, just leave on for less than 45 mins or so, to prevent overdrying hair)

Rinse henna.

Add indigo alone to hair, saran wrap head, and let sit for 30 mins to 45 mins under heat (when I did this I left it on for hours...in hindsight, that was too long...just do less than an hour, to avoid overdrying hair).

Last edited:

It~Can~Grow

Just curious how long after a relaxer is it safe to use Henna? Is there a waiting period before you relax or after?

Thank you

Lebiya

thanks alot ladies will have to try this!

I also heard that henna is better than henna gloss....henna gloss is good for conditionig purpoese and henna is better for the thickening purposes...is this true?

Sereca's PM box is full :sad:

Lebiya

Sereca and some others are the truely skilled henna users. But here's my 2 cents:

I found this recipe (thanks to LaFlaca): She only leaves it in for about an hour.

Henna Gloss 1 (LaFlaca)

3 Henna Samples from hennaforhair.com
1 Indigo Sample
1 Amla Sample

Mix henna with warm water, honey, oils, & condish.
1 hour later add water to Amla/indigo powder and mixed with Henna

Apply to hair and leave it for 1 hour. (30 minutes with heat)

Henna Gloss 2 (LaFlaca)

1/3 Cup of Henna mixed with a little bit of water and left it overnight
1/3 Cup of Amla/Indigo (I mixed both to make the 1/3 cup)
½ Can of Coconut milk

Next day I added the amla/indigo mix(without water) to the henna and coconut milk.
I applied to my hair and left it for 30 minutes without heat.

My Henna Gloss (inspired by LaFlaca)

A box of Jamila Henna mixed w/distilled water. Let sit overnight.
Next morning, added Indigo, Paprika, Cassia Obovata, Amla
Next, microwaved: Coconut milk, coconut oil, honey, jojoba oil, Nexxus Humectress, Tresemme Remoisturize Cond.
Added it all in paste. Then on to my hair. Wrapped w/saran for 45 mins.

I just recently did this and I have no breakage, hair feels strong. Pics in fotki.

My Indigo Gloss

*Lemon Juice (to release color of henna)
When I do this gloss again, I will not add the lemon, too drying for my hair.

The following for moisture, softness, and conditioning benefits:
*Honey
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*Coconut Milk
*Nexxus Humectress Moisturizing Conditioner

I mixed the lemon juice w/henna powder in two of the plastic snap-on bowls, and let it sit overnight.

Then about an hour before applying the mix, I added in the rest of the ingredients, and mixed it into a consistency similar to a relaxer.

Add henna mix to hair (for about 30 mins) under heat (when I did this I left it in for hours, too long, just leave on for less than 45 mins or so, to prevent overdrying hair)

Rinse henna.

Add indigo alone to hair, saran wrap head, and let sit for 30 mins to 45 mins under heat (when I did this I left it on for hours...in hindsight, that was too long...just do less than an hour, to avoid overdrying hair).

THANKS ALOT FOR THIS!!!!!

Im going to go through it properly....

CenteredGirl

Hi ladies!

Im looking for the best Henna recipes for dry 4b natural THIN hair- Great, this will go a long ways to thacken your hair up!Because I’m not hennaing for the dying purpose …I’d like to use Indigo as well as the henna for a darker colour. My main purpose is the thicken up my hair drastically. it will!

What is the best henna / indigo recipe that has worked for you to thicken up your hair? 1/3 indigo and 2/3 henna. Use 100g (total) of henna per 3" of hair.

Also I head there are some hennas’ that are not good for your hair -that has other stuff added to it which can affect your hair when it’s time to perm it etc..

what is the best henna and why? http://hennaforhair.com. A trusted source that I personally purchase mine from and has been raved about on hairboards everywhere.

please tell me step by step how you mix it- and any other ingredients you add to get your thicker and more body Go to the website and you will get all the info you could ever want. It's very informative

This will be my first time doing both henna and indigo so I’m not even sure how to do it. Do you do mix he henna and indigo together and apply it? No, the henna takes 12-24 hours to release color. Mix it with water, cover with plastic. If so how long do you wait until you do the Indigo? After the henna has release color, you have to mix Indigo immediately and use it. It loses color value to longer it sits. I have lots of questions but I don’t even know where to start…I know there are TONS of other henna threads out there but they are soo long and I always find myself asking lots more questions :perplexed

Also please post a link to where you purchase your henna and indigo if you can-thanks!

Check out the link, YOu will be get your info.

Lebiya

thanks alot ladies ...i need to look into alot of things

....i didnt visit the site yet but i jjst wanted to know if shakaka (sp?) powder is also good to thicken up the hair?

OR please feel free to add any other ingrediaents you have used to add to henna to thicken up our hair :yawn:

Aggie

I'm a henna newbie so I'm subscribing to this thread. Need all the help I can get with using henna.