SL 2015

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Water rinsed my mini twists yesterday.
I was out of town so I had no product with me.
After rinsing I applied a quarter sized amount of Emu oil to my scalp and length. *I only had this because I use it on my face daily*.

I washed at 8 am and made it home at 10pm. Surprisingly my hair did not dry out and die. LOL.
Once at home I moisturized and sealed.

Thinking about water rinsing my twists every 3-4 days for the duration of my twists..
I also think for my next set of twists, I will braid the roots and then start twisting.

faithVA

i'm starting to see that my hair doesn't look too healthy..there's a lot of breakage and it makes my hair look uneven and thin...sometimes i feel like chopping it all off..but that would be such agony because i really want SL hair...i just feel indifferent..:(

Don't chop it off. It can be salvaged if you start now. Trust me, my hair was in dire straights last year this time and I have stuck with it and have turned it around.

What's your regimen? Let's see what you need to do to get back on track.

When was the last time you dusted or trimmed your ends?
When was your last protein treatment?
How are you wearing your hair on a daily basis?
How much heat are you using?

You and I are going to SL and then onto APL together, so let's get on top of this thing.

jennifer30

Don't chop it off. It can be salvaged if you start now. Trust me, my hair was in dire straights last year this time and I have stuck with it and have turned it around.

What's your regimen? Let's see what you need to do to get back on track.

When was the last time you dusted or trimmed your ends?
When was your last protein treatment?
How are you wearing your hair on a daily basis?
How much heat are you using?

You and I are going to SL and then onto APL together, so let's get on top of this thing.
faithva, ok but first i like to say is thank you so much, i was feeling sad, but now you made my day. you are just too kind..and i appreciate it...:drunk:

i am relaxed..my regimen is, i wash once a month with mane and tail shampoo and conditioner, dc, than leave- in..and blowdry....i hardly m&s

i hardly use heat..my last protein was in may..i don't trim period..my hair is usually braided....yep...but i also have hihs..so i comb my hair 5 times a day:blush2:..i'm getting over this though

faithVA

faithva, ok but first i like to say is thank you so much, i was feeling sad, but now you made my day. you are just too kind..and i appreciate it...:drunk:

i am relaxed..my regimen is, i wash once a month with mane and tail shampoo and conditioner, dc, than leave- in..and blowdry....i hardly m&s

i hardly use heat..my last protein was in may..i don't trim period..my hair is usually braided....yep...but i also have hihs..so i comb my hair 5 times a day:blush2:..i'm getting over this though

You are welcome. I have had some hard hair years so I know how it feels.

OK. Well I know you want to make APL so you may need to make some adjustments to your regimen.

If it's been more than 6 months since you trimmed, you need to trim your ends even if you do it yourself. A lot of times we feel that we are cutting off growth but what we are really doing is preventing losing inches due to breakage. Cutting 1/2" now can prevent losing 2 to 3 inches later in breakage.

Keep up with your protein. Chemicals create holes in the strands so we need keratin protein to fill those strands in and make them stronger.

You may want to increase washing your hair to every other week instead of once a month. The scalp needs some water. And you know you need to moisturize and seal so I'm not going to harp on that. You need to set a schedule and stick with it.

Even if you are in braids you need to give your hair and scalp regular doses of water.

I have hihs and I'm not fighting it. But I keep my hair in twists a lot so its more so playing with the roots than anything.

If you are starting to see some breakage, I would trim, do a protein treatment and then a DC to get a fresh start. Then go from there.

jennifer30

You are welcome. I have had some hard hair years so I know how it feels.

OK. Well I know you want to make APL so you may need to make some adjustments to your regimen.

If it's been more than 6 months since you trimmed, you need to trim your ends even if you do it yourself. A lot of times we feel that we are cutting off growth but what we are really doing is preventing losing inches due to breakage. Cutting 1/2" now can prevent losing 2 to 3 inches later in breakage.

Keep up with your protein. Chemicals create holes in the strands so we need keratin protein to fill those strands in and make them stronger.

You may want to increase washing your hair to every other week instead of once a month. The scalp needs some water. And you know you need to moisturize and seal so I'm not going to harp on that. You need to set a schedule and stick with it.

Even if you are in braids you need to give your hair and scalp regular doses of water.

I have hihs and I'm not fighting it. But I keep my hair in twists a lot so its more so playing with the roots than anything.

If you are starting to see some breakage, I would trim, do a protein treatment and then a DC to get a fresh start. Then go from there.
do i have to shampoo each time or can i just co-wash with a dc?

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions

:bighug:It will get better. Is your to fragile for the relaxer? Are the braids to tight. Maybe try washing more frequently. Is it breaking all over? How often are you relaxing? Are you relaxing and coloring? Your hair may not be able to tolerate two chemical processes.

faithVA

ok..sounds simple..is blow drying ok?

You only do it once a month? Are you using a heat protectant?

I'm not relaxed so I'm not an expert on heat. I would think once a month with a heat protectant would be fine. I'm not trying to change too many things on you. You need to have a regimen you can really stick with.

After you blow dry your hair what do you do with it? Put it in braids?

jennifer30

You only do it once a month? Are you using a heat protectant?

I'm not relaxed so I'm not an expert on heat. I would think once a month with a heat protectant would be fine. I'm not trying to change too many things on you. You need to have a regimen you can really stick with.

After you blow dry your hair what do you do with it? Put it in braids?
yes..i do put in braids

InBloom

In my new-growth
@jennifer30

Just a few observations...

You may want to clarify/chelate to give yourself a fresh start. Protein, then DC afterwards.

Figure out if you are stretching your relaxers out too far. Some people can't stretch too far before experiencing too much breakage. Consider being natural altogether? If not, monitor how far YOU can stretch.

Reconsider washing your hair more often than once per month. Protein treatments more often...maybe a light to medium rather than a hard one.

Definitely trim/dust your ends.

jennifer30

@jennifer30

You may want to clarify/chelate to give yourself a fresh start. Protein, then DC afterwards.

Figure out if you are stretching your relaxers out too far. Some people can't stretch too far before experiencing too much breakage. Consider being natural altogether? If not, monitor how far YOU can stretch.

Reconsider washing your hair more often than once per month. Protein treatments more often...maybe a light to medium rather than a hard one.

i want to go natural but i dont know...i will def. take the advice though..thanks

xu93texas

QUOTE="jennifer30, post: 21567947, member: 423595"]faithva, ok but first i like to say is thank you so much, i was feeling sad, but now you made my day. you are just too kind..and i appreciate it...:drunk:

i hardly use heat..my last protein was in may..i don't trim period..my hair is usually braided....yep...but i also have hihs..so i comb my hair 5 times a day:blush2:..i'm getting over this though[/QUOTE]
*****************************************************************************************
Hey, cheer up! Trust me, your hair will grow with proper tlc and patience.

I agree with @faithVA, you probably need a trim and I would incorporate more protein into your regimen on a regular basis; especially if you're stretching your relaxers for 6 months at a time. I really like Aphogee 2 min reconstructer.

Moisturize and seal on a regular basis.; at least 3 times a week. You can spritz your braids with a DIY spray (water, oil, conditioner, with or without avj/glycerin) or buy a commercially prepared item.

Is Mane and Tail Shampoo sulfate free? If not, that could be a culprit. Try switching to a moisturizing sulfate-free shampoo ( I really like KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo or one of the SM shampoos)

Lastly, keep your hands out of your hair!:badgirl: Too much manipulation can cause breakage. Try to keep your hair in a PS. Wigs and crochet braids are my go to PS. Find something that fits your budget and lifestyle and develop a regimen on a bi-weekly or monthly basis.

Last edited:

xu93texas

@jennifer30

Very good point! When I was relaxed, i couldn't stretch longer than 15-16 weeks. It was just too much breakage.

jennifer30

QUOTE="jennifer30, post: 21567947, member: 423595"]faithva, ok but first i like to say is thank you so much, i was feeling sad, but now you made my day. you are just too kind..and i appreciate it...:drunk:

Hey, cheer up! Trust me, your hair will grow with proper tlc and patience.

I agree with @faithVA, you probably need a trim and I would incorporate more protein into your regimen on a regular basis; especially if you're stretching your relaxers for 6 months at a time. I really like Aphogee 2 min reconstructer.

Moisturize and seal on a regular basis.; at least 3 times a week. You can spritz your braids with a DIY spray (water, oil, conditioner, with or without avj/glycerin) or buy a commercially prepared item.

Is Mane and Tail Shampoo sulfate free? If not, that could be a culprit. Try switching to a moisturizing sulfate-free shampoo ( I really like KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo or one of the SM shampoos)

Lastly, keep your hands out of your hair!:badgirl: Too much manipulation can cause breakage. Try to keep your hair in a PS. Wigs and crochet braids are my go to PS. Find something that fits your budget and lifestyle and develop a regimen on a bi-weekly or monthly basis.[/QUOTE]

ok...thanks..i don't know if its sulfate free..but i will def. look though...thank you so much

Last edited:

Evolving78

Start washing weekly and stop with the mane and tail. That's protein. Get you a moisturizing sulfate shampoo and moisturizing deep conditioner. Kera Minerals shampoo and conditioner is great and affordable. Get a nice leave-in like Keracare Leave-in conditioner. A nice light moisturizer is Neutrogena triple silk leave-in. Get a nice light oil if you need it, but don't use it daily. Use those Hollywood oils you can find in the beauty supply, target, Sally, or Walmart. If you need to blow dry, blow on warm heat and use the tension method. If you want to style, get you some medium/large flexi rods and do that on dry hair. Wear them overnight. You will have curls in the morning. You can wear them down, or do a cute pin up style. That's it! Get you a nice trim too.

Evolving78

And
Start washing weekly and stop with the mane and tail. That's protein. Get you a moisturizing sulfate shampoo and moisturizing deep conditioner. Kera Minerals shampoo and conditioner is great and affordable. Get a nice leave-in like Keracare Leave-in conditioner. A nice light moisturizer is Neutrogena triple silk leave-in. Get a nice light oil if you need it, but don't use it daily. Use those Hollywood oils you can find in the beauty supply, target, Sally, or Walmart. If you need to blow dry, blow on warm heat and use the tension method. If you want to style, get you some medium/large flexi rods and do that on dry hair. Wear them overnight. You will have curls in the morning. You can wear them down, or do a cute pin up style. That's it! Get you a nice trim too.
yes I'm a firm believer in using sulfates. If you use sulfate free, you need to alternate weekly. Sulfate free is just like cowashing. They lead to buildup over time.

faithVA

@jennifer30, I get the feeling you don't like to do your hair often. Is that correct? Or are you just doing braids to help it grow? I'm just curious. Do you do the braids yourself?

I think since you are only leaving them in a month, I think they will work. I think the biggest issue is letting your hair dry out underneath the braids. If you keep your hair moisturized and water rinse more often, I think you can work the braids until your hair grows out to SL or APL. You still have to care for your hair while it is hidden.

ForestRose

@jennifer30 I second what everyone else has said but from someone who had severe breakage just a few months ago. I recommend that you don't spend tons of money of products that supposedly revive your strands or fill in your splits or make your hair "stronger". I spent 7/8 months doing all these random stuff to help grow my hair and all it led to is money lost and more breakage.

If you can look at the front of your hair then start there. Can you see split ends and splits running up your strands? Does your hair come out with small tugs? Is it thinning in some areas? If so then that means cutting time. And by cut I don't mean trimming an inch off.

I had to learn the hard way that you can't revive damages ends and the only way to fix them is to cut them off. It was initially very hard for me but now my goal of reaching my old length is coming around so much quicker just because my ends aren't constantly falling off. The only thing I regret is not cutting it sooner. I would be at full SL by now.

Hopefully you find a solution:)

jennifer30

@jennifer30, I get the feeling you don't like to do your hair often. Is that correct? Or are you just doing braids to help it grow? I'm just curious. Do you do the braids yourself?

I think since you are only leaving them in a month, I think they will work. I think the biggest issue is letting your hair dry out underneath the braids. If you keep your hair moisturized and water rinse more often, I think you can work the braids until your hair grows out to SL or APL. You still have to care for your hair while it is hidden.
they are cornrows..like braiding my real hair underneath a wig as a PS..i like to moisturize but sometimes it makes my hair too soft and it starts to break
@jennifer30 I second what everyone else has said but from someone who had severe breakage just a few months ago. I recommend that you don't spend tons of money of products that supposedly revive your strands or fill in your splits or make your hair "stronger". I spent 7/8 months doing all these random stuff to help grow my hair and all it led to is money lost and more breakage.

If you can look at the front of your hair then start there. Can you see split ends and splits running up your strands? Does your hair come out with small tugs? Is it thinning in some areas? If so then that means cutting time. And by cut I don't mean trimming an inch off.

I had to learn the hard way that you can't revive damages ends and the only way to fix them is to cut them off. It was initially very hard for me but now my goal of reaching my old length is coming around so much quicker just because my ends aren't constantly falling off. The only thing I regret is not cutting it sooner. I would be at full SL by now.

Hopefully you find a solution:)

yeah maybe i need to cut it some *cringes* lol

Start washing weekly and stop with the mane and tail. That's protein. .
i didnt know that..

my hair is growing a little, just not healthy though..and whats bad is i noticed this a few months ago but ignored it...i guess i will take the advice and see what happens..thanks guys

faithVA

i am skeptical about water rinsing..how does that help the hair?

It gives the scalp and hair water on a regular basis versus letting the hair and scalp dry out from the inside out. The same way you keep your skin hydrated with large doses of water, it helps to do the same with your hair. There isn't always a need to use shampoo or conditioner. Sometimes water is sufficient. It really depends on your regimen. I make sure my hair has 2 doses of water each week. The first is for cleansing but 3 days later my hair doesn't need another cleansing but it does need water, so it just gets a water rinse. Water rinsing gives me the water my scalp needs without the build up of the conditioner and without the drying affect of shampoo.

Since you are relaxed you may not need it as often as a natural but if you are just washing your hair once a month your hair can benefit from any practice that incorporates a large amount of water; shampooing, cowashing, water rinsing etc.

Anything you do at this point will be an improvement over the once a month; shampoo, cowash, DC, water rinse, etc.