Sleeping in a Plastic Cap

comike

Can someone tell me what the purpose in sleeping ina plastic cap would be? Has anyone tried this? And, how do you keep a plastic cap on your head while sleeping? Seems like you'd have a lot of sweating and wake up with stinky hair.

JLove74

I sleep in a plastic cap the night before I wash my hair. After I've applied Phyto Ultra Nourishing oil. And some people when they deep condition overnight.

But I've never heard of anyone sleeping with a plastic cap for the heck of it....

lexi84

I did it alot last summer just for the heck of it. Its just like the baggy method except for my whole head instead of my ends. It helped my hair hold moisture longer and helped rid me of my chronic dryness problem.

goldensensation

I did it a couple of times this past winter when the heat was causing my hair to be dry and hard. Worked like a charm! I put a scarf on over the cap, so it didnt come off.

naturaline

i do it the second night after i wash then again for the next two nights. it doesnt make my hair smell. i aways wear braid outs and at night i add alittle water then castor oil to my hair. the next morning my hairs very easy to put in to a style because its moist, and has lots of waves/curls. i keep it on with by putting a small band on the side and wear a scarf too. i was my hair every 5 days.

hth
you may wanna look at my album cus it shows my braid outs
x

LovelyZ

I tried this once. It took me forever to get to sleep because of the sounds of the plastic cap, even though I had a satin cap on top. I had poked holes in the cap to let my hair "breathe" but the plastic still made my scalp sweat and my hair was frizzy the next day. I never tried this again.

Synthia

I tried this once after joining LCHF last fall and that was the last time.

My hair dampened and stayed damp all night, I took it off when it was close to morning so my hair could dry. (it also gave me the sniffles)

Sleeping on damp hair is too risky for me.
Hair is most fragile when it's wet so I have not idea why keeping is damp for hours and overnight on the regular would be a good thing.

I know some consider it a great moisturizing treatment and I do believe in that theory for a quick 20-minute deep condition under a heat cap. :yep:

But more than that? No. Besides, I can't imagine constantly suffocating my scalp. Your scalp can't breathe under plastic. The practice has always seemed insane to me. :lol:

crlsweetie912

I do it with my Amla/black castor oil mix the night before I shampoo. I put the oil on, then the cap and my scarf over that. My hair was soft as butter after I washed!

ekomba

comike said:
Can someone tell me what the purpose in sleeping ina plastic cap would be? Has anyone tried this? And, how do you keep a plastic cap on your head while sleeping? Seems like you'd have a lot of sweating and wake up with stinky hair.

lol i sleep in a plastic cap daily without fail yes the hair is always sweating it is in twists and full of mtg and the scalp greased with bronners b and b grease. it increases the circulation and stimulates growth and help me retain all my length. each time at the end of the week i undo a twist to check progress and i m stunned so i plan to wear my plastic cap everynight until i get my weave done end of july i may stay in weaves till end of dec:) Actually i never remove the plastic cap even during the day for the studio, on top of the plastic cap i have my satin bonnet and my scarf i always have it on we call it the baggy method.

Last edited:

Cheleigh

I did this fairly often as a transitioner, and I do it occasionally now when my hair feels particularly dry (like last night). It really helps my hair maintain moisture. I usually spritz it and add a thick oil-based moisturizer. I CW my hair in the morning.

My scalp doesn't need to "breathe" the 8 hours at night because I don't wear weaves, wigs or the like--my hair has 17 hours of sun and air. :)

Keen

I do this when I'm not in braids. I do it to combat dryness. I don't know if it helps or not but I think it is a good concept and it is doesn't take any extra effort to me.

Queenie

I love doing this, but I can only do it w/wash n go styles. The other times, my hair needs to be dried completely or my twist out turns into Diana Ross. :lol:

CurliDiva

I do this all the time as my baggie method! :p

This was the only way I could figure out to baggie not only my ends but the entire strand. ;)

2cute2B4gotten

LovelyZ said:
I tried this once. It took me forever to get to sleep because of the sounds of the plastic cap, even though I had a satin cap on top. I had poked holes in the cap to let my hair "breathe" but the plastic still made my scalp sweat and my hair was frizzy the next day. I never tried this again.

I am laughing because this same thing happened to me. :lol: My hair looked a mess when I woke up the next day. My husband asked me what happened to me when he saw my hair. I will only try this again if I am going to wash, otherwise, I'll have to try something else for moisture.

dreysonsmommy2011

I have been doing this with my braids almost nightly. I find that it helps keep my hair moisturized. Like Ekomba, i have been able to retain alot of my length this way. I actually heard of this from a member of this board,but I can't exactly remember who.

Mizani_Mrs

I do this every once in a while when my hair is super dry and it's breaking more than usual. I'll apply a glob of conditioner and oil to my hair, then i'll poke maybe 2 small holes in the cap and then put a scarf on top of the cap. (so u cant see or hear it) My hair turns out extra moisturized and my strands seem to be thick plump and heavy. I don't do it often because i wear my hair straight daily and this causes reversion. I'll do it if i plan to either wash my hair the next morning, or wear it in a ponytail or clip....

And i will say DO NOT saturate or even wet your hair or otherwise it will start dripping all down your neck, forehead, and pillow...and it is not comfortable. So just use a good amount of conditioner/oil, but not enough to totally wet your hair.

Sistaslick

Mizani_Mrs said:
And i will say DO NOT saturate or even wet your hair or otherwise it will start dripping all down your neck, forehead, and pillow...and it is not comfortable. So just use a good amount of conditioner/oil, but not enough to totally wet your hair.

This happened to me. My 3 year old saw the wet circle on the bed and asked me if I tinkled on myself :lachen:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I did this last night as an overnight conditioning treatment. When I was relaxed I used to do it weekly, sometimes 2x a week, but as natural I've only done it 3-4 times. My hair has been particularly dry recently, so I shampooed, mixed some honey with my conditioner and left it on all night. I did 2 strand twists in the front with oyin whipped cream and shine and define, and then pulled the rest back into a pony tail I wrapped around itself so it looks like a lil ball, and let it airdry. I may twist the rest of the back later. My hair looks and feels much better with very little frizz.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I tried something similar with a satin like scarf I bought that had an inner layer of plastic. I slept in it a couple of times with no problems, but my hair was mushy and gunky the next morning.

I had WGHO in my hair the last time I tried it, and the next morning my hair smelled bad. I had to spray lots of gloss on it to mask the funk. I stopped doing it after that.

That scarf with the plastic works great for overnight conditioning, but I won't sleep in it unless I plan to wash my hair the next day.

mslondon

If you have problems using a plastic cap overnight, you could use the plastic cling films u use for wrapping sandwiches. it definately has more staying power than a plastic cap.

Also for deepconditioning without heat, you can use foil wrap, it apparently heats up with your body temperature a lot better than a plastic cap so the warmth generated will help the conditioner to penetrate more.

Thats my two cents/tupence

carameldiva

i do this every nite w/ whatever oil i am using- i have been doing this for several years. After applying the oil and massaging, i put on the cap and then i tie a satin scarf on top. I also sleep on satin pillowcases, just in case but it usually stays on with no problem. I am natural and i do not wake up with sweaty stinky hair- it is a little moist but that is about it. And i also cowash daily and every other day i shampoo/condition. Once a week i deep condition.

Chinaberry

Nappily moving forward
Back in the day when I had a "Scary Curl" I wore it every nite and sometimes during the day if I wasn't leaving the house. It really helps you to retain length due to holding the moisture in. I just started a personal challenge to wear mine at least 4 nites a week!

Tee

Sistaslick said:
This happened to me. My 3 year old saw the wet circle on the bed and asked me if I tinkled on myself :lachen:

still laughing. That is too darn cute!

Victorian

old head
I'd like to try this more often but I just can't stand hearing the plastic every time I turn my head--it keeps me up at night. I'll suffer through it sometimes to do a pre-poo or something but I don't know if I could handle every night :ohwell:

Motivator01

Hello All I have been away for a very long time sorry EK for the no response:perplexed
But Love doing the baggie every night .... I dont know why I stopped I think it helped with a growth spurt ... like a rain forest effect you know dark, moisture and heat. I will really start doing this again. I was even waring one under my hijab when I went out of the house .... I dont think I will be doing that though until the winter time.

But I def will do it a night again and hold on......
(just put it on ) inthe house with air