small individual type braids with natural hair. Do you dip them?

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I'm putting really small braids in dd's hair. they look like individuals. I'm curiuos to know, does anyone that braids their own hair up, without extensions, do you dip the braids in hot water still when you are done?

manter26

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Why would you do that? Don't do that. :lol: It's done on synthetic hair to melt the plastic.

Are her braids coming undone?

faithVA

No I don't dip my own hair. If you want the ends to curl just put them on small perm rods or small curlers.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

:lol: I thought it was done to make the hair straight and lay flat :lol: I haven't had braids in many many moons so thought i'd ask.

Nonie

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I would not braid small braids w/o extensions on my hair. That's how some people create locs in type 4 hair, and I have seen that threaten to happen to my own within a week. :nono: So first I'd not put small braids w/o extensions in my hair unless I was trying to get locs. Secondly, you don't need to dip in hot water. As @manter said, that's for synthetic hair.

Je Ne Sais Quoi, what type of hair does your daughter have? If it's 4A or B, then there should not be any need to do anything when you finish the braids.

faithVA

:lol: I thought it was done to make the hair straight and lay flat :lol: I haven't had braids in many many moons so thought i'd ask.

I'm glad you did. That water would have rushed straight up your baby's hair and burned her scalp :nono: It would not have been good.

manter26

^I think that largely depends on the head of hair. There are plenty of naturals 4A and B who do small braids with no extensions. I do them all them time and they are teeny tiny. I have no problems with locking or tangling. Pooknap has 4B hair and she braids without extensions. Her braids are pretty small IMO. You can check out her YT for tips for your daughter.

I'll be back with a link.

ETA: It's pookinapp16
http://youtu.be/mfH2aeYDuGM

Last edited:

faithVA

^ I agree. You have to know your hair. My hair does the same thing in braids or twists, doesn't matter. I can wear twists a max of 2 weeks or braids a max of 2 weeks and that's it. Can't wash in either, because my hair just mats like that. But I know how long I can go before I regret it. Other 4bs can manage longer periods just fine.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I would not braid small braids w/o extensions on my hair. That's how some people create locs in type 4 hair, and I have seen that threaten to happen to my own within a week. :nono: So first I'd not put small braids w/o extensions in my hair unless I was trying to get locs. Secondly, you don't need to dip in hot water. As @manter said, that's for synthetic hair.

@Je Ne Sais Quoi, what type of hair does your daughter have? If it's 4A or B, then there should not be any need to do anything when you finish the braids.
her hair is a 4ab mix. the braids would be in for 2-4 weeks. I don't use shampoo on her but i do use wen and she'd likely get her hair washed 1-2 times during that period

kinkycurlygurl

You can do that hot water thing with the extention hair, but never with real hair. That will leave your little one's ends dried out, brittle and breaking.

manter26

manter26, how often does she wash her hair? I wash mine twice a week so it would be mat galore.

IDk. I think she's still on here Pooks you there?

I wash (cowash) my hair in braids probably every other day. It's definitely my favorite style on me. I'm starting a loc (just one) on my hair. I thought it would take forever for my hair to loc. I comb coiled it and it's been maybe 1 or 2 weeks and so far so good (towards the end it feels "mature"). I don't get it wet or moisturize it with the rest of my hair. I keep my braids in for 3-6 weeks and they never feel like my baby lock feels.

ETA: fixed user name. Her braids are in this thread
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=535069&highlight=braids+without+extensions

Last edited:

faithVA

her hair is a 4ab mix. the braids would be in for 2-4 weeks. I don't use shampoo on her but i do use wen and she'd likely get her hair washed 1-2 times during that period

Have you done this before? If not then just keep an eye on them. And if it looks like its starting to matt, try rebraiding one. If its a chore, then its time to take them out. Usually you are good for 2 weeks or at least until the 1st wash. Some can wash them, some can't.

MilkChocolateOne

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

This blog may be helpful to you http://braidwithme.blogspot.com/. She braids her daughter's hair often. I think her daughter is a 4a with some 3c. Blackmasterpiece had some nice box braids at one time. Pookinapp http://www.youtube.com/user/pookinapp16/videos wears box braids too.

Check out beadsbraidsbeyond http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/search/label/box%20braids

I know her daughter has a different hair type but she may have some information that can be beneficial to you.
Thank you kindly. I'll check it out!

MzSwift

Natural individuals/mini-braids are one of my go-to PS/low mani styles! I rock them about half the year. I water rinse mine daily. I use mainly no cone condish and sulfate free cleanser so that may be why I don't experience any ill effects.

My ends curl up after the first couple of washes but the coils at the ends of my hair don't clump until I use my ayurvedic condish mix.

I spray at night with a mostly water mix, heavy seal the ends (using a cone condish, oil and/or butter/vaseline) and roll them under into a high bun. I cover with satin and sleep tight. I rinse in the shower in the morning. HTH! :)

I usually keep mine in approx 3 weeks. I'm on day 13 in my current set. I plan to redo them sometime next weekend. I usually don't experience too much matting unless I use heavy products.

Bun Mistress

I used to do small braids into a pony tail in the summer and I would wash once a week. I never had a matting problem (4B here). I would blow dry prior to braiding.

O dipping involved. Make sure when you wash and every night you wrap hair in a scrap. That helps

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Natural individuals/mini-braids are one of my go-to PS/low mani styles! I rock them about half the year. I water rinse mine daily. I use mainly no cone condish and sulfate free cleanser so that may be why I don't experience any ill effects.

My ends curl up after the first couple of washes but the coils at the ends of my hair don't clump until I use my ayurvedic condish mix.

I spray at night with a mostly water mix, heavy seal the ends (using a cone condish, oil and/or butter/vaseline) and roll them under into a high bun. I cover with satin and sleep tight. I rinse in the shower in the morning. HTH! :)

I usually keep mine in approx 3 weeks. I'm on day 13 in my current set. I plan to redo them sometime next weekend. I usually don't experience too much matting unless I use heavy products.
Good to know and thanks for the feedback. I don't think i have to worry too much about matting since she won't have them more than 3 or 4 weeks and they won't be getting wet everyday. I think she will be a-ok.

Here are a few pics so far. she has a ton of hair and it's' taking longer than i thought but i'm taking the chance to go through and give her a much needed trim section by section too:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

@MzSwift

I finished them earlier today. Here is the end result :

I plan on putting them on flexi rods tomorrow night so she can wear em curly for the next couple of weeks.

Nonie

Je Ne Sais Quoi, *sniff* I remember being her age and dreaming of having hair like that. *sniff* Beautifully done. Now if only you can 'splain how you came about having a clone, I'd appreciate it. I can never get over how identical you and mini-you are. :love:

Nonie

:lol::lol::lol: This girl is NOT my twin :lol::lol::lol: But thank you :yep:

Denial is not just a river in Africa... Clearly! :look:

:giggle:

Did I mention that I think she's got the most adorable face ever? (Ahem... :scratchch Now do you see the resemblance Je Ne Sais Quoi? :lol: )

Seriously, if you haven't done so, you should have a portrait photo/painting of the two of you.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Denial is not just a river in Africa... Clearly! :look:

:giggle:

Did I mention that I think she's got the most adorable face ever? (Ahem... :scratchch Now do you see the resemblance @Je Ne Sais Quoi? :lol: )

Seriously, if you haven't done so, you should have a portrait photo/painting of the two of you.
Nonie You crazy :lol: We haven't take a professional pic together in a loooong time. we really should and soon