Getting box braids in 2 days...how do I prep my hair??

BreeNique

Hi, ladies!
In a week I'll be heading to France for part of the summer, and I've decided to get box braids as a protective style for when I'm abroad!

Now. Ya'll KNOW i love playing in and washing my hair, so this is gonna be a challenge!

I'm getting the braids on thursday, and planing to wash my hair wednesday night Any tips on what I should do before the braids? Should I put leave-in in my hair for when they braid thursday morning? Should I leave it without oil, etc?

So excited! Any tips/ tricks for dealing with and washing box braids will be helpful as all get out!

Much love,

bn

Flawlis1

Before I braid anyone's hair the steps I recommend are:

1) Do a protein treatment to strengthen hair. (Aphogee or Nexxus Emergencee)

2) Deep moisturizing conditioner afterwards. (Neutrogena Mask or Motions Critical Repair)

3) Use a light spray leave in, air dry, or (blow dry if u must)..... Oil your scalp using a lightweight oil and massage well, also apply some oil or moisturizer to the rest of your hair, mainly the ends.... But don't make it too greasy.

4) Trim ends of hair if needed before getting braids.

5) Make sure braids are not too tight, or your edges are braided in.

Seamonster

Flawlis1 why do you suggest trimming the ends before getting braids. Everyone has always told me it is harder to braid freshly trimmed hair, and the manipulation of braiding, extensions, and taking them down would ruin a trim anyway. I am curious to hear your opinion.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i would DC and blowout my hair definitely. use ur regular leave-in and heat protectant.
It will make it much easier on the braider.

Charla

Before I get braids I

1. Chelate/clarify hair and scalp
  2. Medium Protein (ORS + egg yolks)
  3. Deep Moisture Treatment (1/2 cup Silk Elements MegaSilk 2 tsp castor oil)
  4. Section, detangle, de-shed and put in about 12 Celies.
  5. Oil scalp

I do not wash out my Deep Moisture Treatment. (kind of a modified Lady P. plan) And I really work in this treatment so my hair isn't whitish.

I maintain my braids with my own spray of 6oz water to 6 pumps Aussie Moist, 1 tsp castor oil.

Flawlis1

Seamonster....... Braids are a protective hairstyle, so it doesn't make any sense to braid split/damaged ends, the purpose of braids is to give hair a rest from daily styling so it can get healthy and grow, so it's best to cut off damaged hair if there is any. It's not harder to braid freshly cut ends if someone really knows how to braid, I seal ends with a pomade/wax/or gel to help them blend..... very simple. Manipulation and braid take down should not cause any damage to fresh ends.... or at all for that matter, if so, the wrong person is braiding your hair. Oh... and NEVER relax or texturize hair before a weave or braids.