Cornrow/ box braids under wig

flower

Ok, I have been asked to cornrow my hair because my box braids are getting in the way of the style of the wig. Do you ladies box or cornrow under your wig?

winnettag

Cornrows only. Similar to what you said OP, the box braids cause lumps and bumps that would make my wigs look oddly shaped.
I can't cornrow, but I ask my sis to do it for me.

Tiye

Both. I was doing cornrows but switched to box braids coz they last longer. If you do small box braids they lay pretty flat under a net cap. Also if you wear store bought wigs and have a larger sized head then cornrows are better but at the moment my wigs were made by me so I can custom fit or make sure I pick caps that will fit including the braids.

Duchesse

Both for me too. I like box braids because they allow me to fully moisturize and condition the length of my hair. When I cornrow, I notice my ends always feel kinda scraggly when I take the braids out. But cornrows look better under wigs, if the wig isn't a full one.

luvmesumhair

Both for me too. I like box braids because they allow me to fully moisturize and condition the length of my hair. When I cornrow, I notice my ends always feel kinda scraggly when I take the braids out. But cornrows look better under wigs, if the wig isn't a full one.
I agree with Duchesse. I am going to try it this way after my next wash. I personally think it would be easier to get the length of your hair this way. I wear half wigs. Right now my hair is in two "low" braids pinned up. Next time I am going to put in maybe 6 braids. Pinned and with a wig cap over them. If that does not work, then I will try the braiding method.

Smiley79

does it matter if you cornrow with or without bulk "braiding" hair? I've heard that it protects hair to add braiding hair when cornrowing...others have said it doesn't matter. Just curious.