So are the majority of Christians going to hell too?

PopLife

Okay don't stone me for asking this but this has been something I have always wondered. I was raised Christian and still consider myself a nondenominational Christian but I have never really understood who all is really going to hell.
I know people who do not accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior but what about Christians? I have always heard in church that liars, thieves, fornicators, adulterers, murders, etc... will have their place in the lake of fire, so does that included Christians who have committed these sins also?
I mean if we are being real no one is totally free from sin. The majority of people I know Christians included commit one sin or another every day, whether it be a small lie, the way they treat others, profanity, on to the ones we consider "big" sins. I guess my questions is... Is Christianity really just based on your actions and how many sins you avoid (or remember to repent for) in life or is it about what's truly in your heart? I know I'm rambling but I'm confused, help a sister out please...

varaneka

I think that a lot of people confuse the meaning of belief.

Belief in God means practicing what He commands us to do. If we obey, then we're proving that we believe Him.

Maybe those who don't have any interest in God's heart are the ones who are going to hell. I don't know.

msa

IMO, yes, most "Christians" are going to "hell".

Also, I think you have to decide what Christianity is FOR YOU. For me, it's about a relationship and loving other people. But it's different for each person. The best thing I can say is to pray and do your research so that you can figure out what it means to you.

PopLife

I think that a lot of people confuse the meaning of belief.

Belief in God means practicing what He commands us to do. If we obey, then we're proving that we believe Him.

Maybe those who don't have any interest in God's heart are the ones who are going to hell. I don't know.

I get what you are saying and do believe that obeying is part of believing, but when Christians commit sins does that really mean that they don't believe/love the Lord. I can speak for myself in saying that I am not free from sin but I know in my heart I believe/love the Lord but still struggle with whether a person actions send them to hell regardless...idk

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Naw... I won't stone you.. :laugh:

But I will offer you the Word instead of my opinion, for in every issue of life --there IS a Scripture:

Colossians 3:9-14

The Message Translation
Don't lie to one another. You're done with that old life. It's like a filthy set of ill-fitting clothes you've stripped off and put in the fire. Now you're dressed in a new wardrobe. Every item of your new way of life is custom-made by the Creator, with his label on it. All the old fashions are now obsolete. Words like Jewish and non-Jewish, religious and irreligious, insider and outsider, uncivilized and uncouth, slave and free, mean nothing. From now on everyone is defined by Christ, everyone is included in Christ.
So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.

The Amplified Translation
Do not lie to one another, for you have stripped off the old (unregenerate) self with its evil practices,
And have clothed yourselves with the new [spiritual self], which is [ever in the process of being] renewed and remolded into [fuller and more perfect [a]knowledge upon] knowledge after the image (the likeness) of Him Who created it.(A)
[In this new creation all distinctions vanish.] There is no room for and there can be neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, [nor difference between nations whether alien] barbarians or Scythians [[c]who are the most savage of all], nor slave or free man; but Christ is all and in all [[d]everything and everywhere, to all men, without distinction of person].
Clothe yourselves therefore, as God's own chosen ones (His own picked representatives), [who are] purified and holy and well-beloved [by God Himself, by putting on behavior marked by] tenderhearted pity and mercy, kind feeling, a lowly opinion of yourselves, gentle ways, [and] patience [which is tireless and long-suffering, and has the power to endure whatever comes, with good temper].

The King James Version
Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

Okay don't stone me for asking this but this has been something I have always wondered. I was raised Christian and still consider myself a nondenominational Christian but I have never really understood who all is really going to hell.
I know people who do not accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior but what about Christians? I have always heard in church that liars, thieves, fornicators, adulterers, murders, etc... will have their place in the lake of fire, so does that included Christians who have committed these sins also?
I mean if we are being real no one is totally free from sin. The majority of people I know Christians included commit one sin or another every day, whether it be a small lie, the way they treat others, profanity, on to the ones we consider "big" sins. I guess my questions is... Is Christianity really just based on your actions and how many sins you avoid (or remember to repent for) in life or is it about what's truly in your heart? I know I'm rambling but I'm confused, help a sister out please...

Highly Favored8

No, I will not stone you!:look:

IMHO, I cannot say this statement- "majority of Christians are going to hell". I am not God and only God can judge each person on the way they choose their life/lives. I mean not one of us is perfect if we were then we would not need Jesus. As my DS would say then "pencils would not need erasers".
" For all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God-Romans-3:23
"As it is written : There is none righteous,no, not one. Romans 3:10
"Do not enter into judgement with your servant , for in your sight no one living is righteous. Pslams 143:2
I also beleive in Repentence and Reconcling sins to the Lord because when we sin it is done Againsit God and him alone. Sin(s) has to be dealt with . So to say "Majority of Christians are going to hell" I can't b/c only God can judge the hearts of all people not man.

Laela

Hi, Creole,

God says those who don't walk in Love, don't know him for God IS LOVE. This is what will cause God will say to those Christians who healed in his name, prayed, etc. "Depart from me, I never knew you.."

People go to hell not for their sins but for rejecting God (Love).

There are two instances that we can't get forgiveness from God. I encourage you to read:

Matthew 12:31 - Blaspheming/grieving the Holy Spirit

and Mark 11:25 - Walking in unforgiveness :yep:

Based on those Scriptures, it's possible to live a Christian life and still go to hell.

varaneka

I get what you are saying and do believe that obeying is part of believing, but when Christians commit sins does that really mean that they don't believe/love the Lord. I can speak for myself in saying that I am not free from sin but I know in my heart I believe/love the Lord but still struggle with whether a person actions send them to hell regardless...idk

I don't mean to make absolute statements. Let me clarify: there are those who disobey every now and then because they're human, but there are far more who disobey because they don't truly believe God is real. THOSE are the ones who to me are false. They call themselves Christian IMHO because they have an image with certain people to uphold, but when they're around their peers, they throw off that title because it's not their lifestyle. They might think that calling themselves Christian will save them "just in case there IS A GOD," but they are probably better off calling themselves Agnostic b/c that is a case of playing the fence.

You can be a Christian and make mistakes. God calls us His friends even though we don't deserve His love, mercy and forgiveness. He says to come boldly before His Throne, so He loves us just as we are. However, to be a slave to sin is different. Sinning and rebelling w/o repentance is dangerous. I'm referring to the people who just live a life of sin without trying to seek God's restoration and transformation through the Holy Spirit. If there's no growth being gained EVERY SINGLE DAY, there's something wrong IMHO.

Laela

Hi, Msa,

This Scripture is basically saying we all are one body, in Christ, no matter the denomination or the form of worship.

It breaks it all down to the basic: Anyone who accepts Christ is renewed in their mind/spirit, will walk in Agape Love and will exhibit the Fruits of the Spirit. They are living the life God intended Man to live.

HTH!

Laela

Laela can you translate for me, I don't understand the answer.

msa

Hi, Msa,

This Scripture is basically saying we all are one body, in Christ, no matter the denomination or the form of worship.

It breaks it all down to the basic: Anyone who accepts Christ is renewed in their mind/spirit, will walk in Agape Love and will exhibit the Fruits of the Spirit. They are living the life God intended Man to live.

HTH!

Laela

I swear I'm just dense today because I'm still confused...

Ok, so everyone who accepts Christ is in "the body" (ie a Christian, regardless of denomination or whatever). So as long as you don't commit the two sins that are unforgiveable (as you said in your other post), then you're going to heaven? I don't think I'm understanding this right...hmmm.

So the question is "are the majority of christians going to hell?" and the answer is "everyone who has accepted Christ is not going to hell (except for those two caveats)".

Is that right?

comike

In my quest to understand salvation and it's meaning, I read a lot of Paul's writings and specifically the book of Romans and the Lord spoke to me clearly what salvation meant. I suggest you pray and read His word and I can certainly say that the Lord, not me or anyone else that has responded to your questions thus far, will reveal to you what salvation is about.

comike

IMO, yes, most "Christians" are going to "hell".

Also, I think you have to decide what Christianity is FOR YOU. For me, it's about a relationship and loving other people. But it's different for each person. The best thing I can say is to pray and do your research so that you can figure out what it means to you.

I don't think anyone on this earth and judge a person's heart, a person's intentions, so it wouldn't be fair to say who goes to heaven or not.

nucienuce1

"He who has seen me (Jesus) has seen the Father (God). John 14:9
You can only receive God through his Son, Jesus.
HTH

msa

I don't think anyone on this earth and judge a person's heart, a person's intentions, so it wouldn't be fair to say who goes to heaven or not.

Of course I can't say. I was really just thinking about the fact that there seem to be certain requirements to get to heaven. If a person doesn't meet those requirements then they're not going. That's not judging, it's just a fact, IMO.

But, I think I'm really confused and wrong about the requirements so I really can't say for sure.

Laela

Msa,

I encourage you to read those Scriptures and even meditate on them and God will speak to your heart for more understanding. God gave us the power to choose, so if we choose to not do his Will, we choose Hell. It's very simple.

If a person is saved and is living with unforgiveness in their heart, God cannot forgive them. It's a basic element of the Lord's Prayer:

"And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us"

That unforgiveness can be a temporary state until you or I actually do forgive; but if we die in this state... :nono:

This isn't to say I know who will go to hell or not, because I don't know anyone's heart. But the Word gives us great insight on pleasing or angering God.

I swear I'm just dense today because I'm still confused...

Ok, so everyone who accepts Christ is in "the body" (ie a Christian, regardless of denomination or whatever). So as long as you don't commit the two sins that are unforgiveable (as you said in your other post), then you're going to heaven? I don't think I'm understanding this right...hmmm.

So the question is "are the majority of christians going to hell?" and the answer is "everyone who has accepted Christ is not going to hell (except for those two caveats)".

Is that right?

Last edited:

msa

Msa,

I encourage you to read those Scriptures and even meditate on them and God will speak to your heart for more understanding. God gave us the power to choose, so if we choose to not do his Will, we choose Hell. It's very simple.

If a person is saved and is living with unforgiveness in their heart, God cannot forgive them. It's a basic element of the Lord's Prayer:

That unforgiveness can be a temporary state until you or I actually do forgive; but if we die in this state... :nono:

This isn't to say I know who will go to hell or not, because I don't know anyone's heart. But the Word gives us great insight on pleasing or angering God.

I think I see what you're saying now. Interesting.

PopLife

Msa,

So when you speak of unforgiveness are you speaking of not forgiving others or not repenting for your own sins?

PopLife

Also, do you guys think a lot of people are Christians out of fear of going to hell or the unknown after death? It just seems like a lot of Christians are obsessed with guarding themselves from sin and evil all of their lives, almost as if living by a this holy checklist verses enjoying the benefits of being a Christian.
I don't know...I have just been thru a lot of things within the last couple of years of my life and it has really caused me to think about what I believe in and why...

Highly Favored8

Also, do you guys think a lot of people are Christians out of fear of going to hell or the unknown after death? It just seems like a lot of Christians are obsessed with guarding themselves from sin and evil all of their lives, almost as if living by a this holy checklist verses enjoying the benefits of being a Christian.
I don't know...I have just been thru a lot of things within the last couple of years of my life and it has really caused me to think about what I believe in and why...

To answer I do cannot say why people become Christians. For me it was personal experiences which have led me back to Christ. Since then I have grown closer in the Lord. Everyone's experience will be different and only God knows what, where, when , and how a person will come to Him and Him alone. This is b/c man has freewill and for me I have to Choose God b/c He choosed me. I see, hear and read about what Jesus has went through for mankinds sin(s).
I see, speak to many daily who have went through some serious, serious, I mean serious life journey's and I see and hear of How God has turned their lives around why? b/c for them God is their only answer. Since speaking to them, I am so happy b/c I see God's blessings on their lives. When you sit and study God's Word look at all the people God used I mean God could have used Saints however, God choosed peopled who sinned and how they repented and turn their Lives Back over to the Lord and how God has blessed these people and countless others until the End of time.

momi

Missing hell is just one of the "benefits" of being a Christian. On a deeper level one day we all realize that we have a problem with sin. We can either try to solve it ourselves or trust Christ to cleanse and forgive us.

We are born with a deep longing to have relationship with our God and Savior - many try to satisfy this longing with false gods or things - or just ignore it all together. We will not be satisfied until we get to know our Lord and Savior.
Romans 1 says that the heavens declare the glory of God. Looking at the world and how it was created with intricate detail screams there is a God somewhere!

Deutoronomy says that we will find Him when we search for Him with all of our hearts.

To answer the OP's question? Christians are not going to hell... but there are many who think they are Christians that will. God is not out to fool anyone - many of us think we can fool God by claiming the Christian title, or doing Christian type things - however we know our hearts and God does too.

Prudent1

For me personally I became a Christian out of fear of hell and death. It was not until later that I became aware of and appreciated the many things God had done for us. Also, as I learned more about the character of God I grew closer to him, wanted to have a personal relationship with him. In the beginning, I used the sort of holy checklist you talked about. As time passed I understood that I was covered by grace and mercy and nothing on a list would ever make me deserving of what I was receiving from God. You see, our physical lives mimic our sprirtual lives. Babies grow into adults gradually. There are baby Christians, teen-aged Christians, and mature Christians too. When you understand and pursue a personal relationship with Jesus, the false checklists and other erroneous behaviors and ideas change. God directs/ instructs us on how we should go. This only applies to true Christians with tangible fruit to show. As for your original question, a lot of ppl call themselves Christians but they are not. Yes, we all sin but a true Christian does not sin w/o remorse over and over again. Even for besetting sins there is a way out. At this point in our world, I think the majority of ppl who call themselves Christians are not really Christians at all. This is not me being holier than thou- they don't have any fruit. You can paint oranges red all day long so to speak and call them apples but when you cut them open they are not going to be apples...

Last edited:

Pooks

Many people profess Christ, but their actions show otherwise:

John 14:15: If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Matthew 7 18-23:
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I am in no wise perfect, but I'm trying, and in Jesus name I will overcome my flesh, sow to the Spirit, live a life that's pleasing to God and be watching and waiting.

Spongie Bloom

I dont know the answer but I believe that those who accept Jesus as their Lord and personal saviour, who walk in the way of the Lord as best they can for the road is narrow and winding, and repent of their sins will be called by St Peter :D. Its hard to decipher what sins will get you in hell and what not cause it is written that no sin is greater than the other and that it is up to our Father to judge, that is why it is difficult for us mere mortals to comprehend that part of the discussion because only He knows what is in out hearts. All we can do is love one another as he has loved us and accept Jesus Christ in our hearts.

Pooks

Realised I didn't actually address the question posed...

Qualification for the kingdom of God (the earth renewed as referred to in Rev) is based on faith in and acceptance of Jesus Christ, repentance from sin and turning to God, and also abiding by God's word and keeping his commandments - some of the most wicked people in the world claim to be Christians, so yes I believe some 'Christians' will go to hell, based on the Scriptures I posted - 'the majority'? IDK.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Thanks for starting this topic. I'm a Christian and what you have posted has popped in my head several times.

I believe if you do feel remorseful or bad for the sins you commit then you're going to Hell. If you pray, confess your sins, and ask for forgiveness, and for strength to repent from that sin, then you are good. When you pray, that shows faith and trust in God and having a personal relationship with Him. And only God can judge our hearts as to whether or not we are for Him or against Him. We as Christians need to be more aware of hearts more so than our actions, even though actions do play a big role in daily decision making in our every day life.

Renovating

Many people profess Christ, but their actions show otherwise:

John 14:15: If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Matthew 7 18-23:
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I am in no wise perfect, but I'm trying, and in Jesus name I will overcome my flesh, sow to the Spirit, live a life that's pleasing to God and be watching and waiting.

Thanks for posting this. I actually referenced this scripture in another thread, because this scripture is somewhat puzzling to me. Trees, like our walks with Christ have different stages of growth. In early stages the type of fruit that a tree will bear cannot be determined, only speculated about. IMO, like the eary stages of Christian life. Example: Someone that may have just accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior may not have the same convictions as someone that have been saved for decades and has had some practice in daily renewing their minds.

I've love to hear everyone else's thoughts. (** no thread hijack- I think it's in line with the topic.)

Pooks

Thanks for posting this. I actually referenced this scripture in another thread, because this scripture is somewhat puzzling to me. Trees, like our walks with Christ have different stages of growth. In early stages the type of fruit that a tree will bear cannot be determined, only speculated about. IMO, like the eary stages of Christian life. Example: Someone that may have just accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior may not have the same convictions as someone that have been saved for decades and has had some practice in daily renewing their minds.

I've love to hear everyone else's thoughts. (** no thread hijack- I think it's in line with the topic.)

The underlined is so true, and that's why as a babe starts out on their Christian walk, apart from ensuring they are keeping the commandments and know the importance of this, they shouldn't be held to account as harshly as a seasoned Christian (I don't want any millstones around my neck for stumbling anyone).

When I was first growing in the Lord (cause I still am, praise God!) there were lots of things that were too hard for me to take. There are scriptural references to feeding the flock 'milk' and 'meat' as is necessary according to maturity.

At the end of the day, whilst the tree is maturing, you give it the best start, nurture it and look for the fruit - now if there is no fruit or the wrong fruit once the tree is mature, its time for pruning otherwise we will be cast aside.

Luke 6:43-45:
43 For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes. 45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Last edited:

blazingthru

I must say for me thats how it started out. Fear. But you know I could never get over the fear and my heart had not changed. No matter what I tried to do to live right I could not. We are saved by Grace. which means you can't work yourself into heaven. Its a gift. once I understood that and once I started to understand God and why all this was going on I let go of the fear. it no longer had a place in my life. I ask God to forgive me everyday and know he has. I make sure I do not sin but I am sure I am not always aware of what I do that is sinful and so I ask Gods forgiveness everyday. I forgve others that sin against me. I try to do it quickly before it takes root and I end up struggling and then falling into sin. I don't think I know everything either. I listen to others and I research things that are said. The worst thing is to think you know it all and then find yourself shut out because your unbelieving, unrepented heart. I dont' feel I need to know everything that is going on in the world infact i want to remain innocent about evil. I think there is a scripture about that. I want to know God and I want God to know me. I do not want him to say get away from me I know you not, which is the case for many christians they believe one thing without researching and refuse to listen, because it requires that they might have to make a change and then find out they didn't make it. Doesn't the bible say that will be the case. Many will think they are in only to find out that they did not make it. That will not be me. I intend to learn all I can learn and share. So no I am not in it for fear I am in it because I have learned to love God with my whole heart and I have learned that i need God every second of everyday of my life. I have learned that HELL is for unrepented sinners and those who choose to live a life of pleasing themselves. We know God can't have no part of that sin near him and he is getting rid of it forever.

Also this, God has provided all the answer we need. WE know what happens at death because he told us. He told us what happens and what will happen and so the only reason we don't know is because we didn't read it. We listen to others who won't be there to give an account when you stand before God.