So I used Silk Elements Lye Last Night (Pt. 2)

amy1234

This is like a spin-off to khandiB's first review ;)
Here's my review:

I just used it today with the help of my girlfriend and I am so happy with the results!!! First of all, I had no burning sensations during the process and it actually straightened my hair! I pulled it through the ends at the very end because they were severely underprocessed. I love the results, my hair is pretty much bone straight now with a tiny bit of texture to it.

The Details: We sectioned off the crown and back with ouchless bands and applied the relaxer to the new growth only. After applying to those areas, we removed the elastics and went through and under the sections , making sure it was applied properly, and then smoothed for a good five minutes. After that, we did the corrective and put the remainder of the relaxer onto the ends. I was really nervous about this part and only let it sit for 5 minutes. I ended up using the whole jar but it was well worth it for only $4.89 a pop.
Silk elements will now be my new staple relaxer :up:

Just wanted to share my hair experience with you all :)

Girl ain't that stuff the bomb! Best relaxer I ever used! And the 4lb tubs are $9.99 all month long at Sally. I may get another couple a tubs.

So how long did you leave it on your new growth in total? I have this relaxer and plan on using it for the first time next week so I'm a little nervous.

Oh, and are you in Toronto? Where did you get it for under $5? I've only seen in for almost $6 and another Sally's didn't even have it!

Glad to hear you had a good experience with it tho :)

yourleoqueen said:
Girl ain't that stuff the bomb! Best relaxer I ever used! And the 4lb tubs are $9.99 all month long at Sally. I may get another couple a tubs.
I love it!! What ... I didn't know they had a 4lb tub of this :shocked: . I'm suprised that I even found it here in Canada. They better not discontinue this one, although I notice that they usually fly off the shelves anywho.

*btw- I also had about 1inch of new growth (my girlfriend was so jealous! :lol:) , yeah my hair grew a bit ;)

Nigeriangurl said:
So how long did you leave it on your new growth in total? I have this relaxer and plan on using it for the first time next week so I'm a little nervous.

Oh, and are you in Toronto? Where did you get it for under $5? I've only seen in for almost $6 and another Sally's didn't even have it!

Glad to hear you had a good experience with it tho :)

I left it on for a good 20 min. including smoothing time. Just be sure to apply it thoroughly to avoid any underprocessing.
Okay, I'll also admit that I do have the sally's card :rolleyes: so I got it at the discounted price... go to the scarb. location, you can definitely find it there :)
HTH!

OT, but that Sally's card is excellent! I paid $5 for the year, and I made that back in 1 shopping trip! :)

On topic: I'm glad that you liked your relaxer results. Maybe one day I'll try it (I use Mizani no-lye).

*Dee* said:
I left it on for a good 20 min. including smoothing time. Just be sure to apply it thoroughly to avoid any underprocessing.
Okay, I'll also admit that I do have the sally's card :rolleyes: so I got it at the discounted price... go to the scarb. location, you can definitely find it there :)
HTH!

Thanks Dee!

Ya, after not being able to find it at the other Sallys (they only had the no-lye), I went to the Scarborough location and would you believe that there was not one Regular on the shelf! They had tons of mild and super haha. Is everyone in Scarborough on LHCF?? Anyway, I went back the next day and got it.

Hmmmm, Sally's Discount card, I might have to look into that....

We need to send them some e-mails and tell them how much we love this stuff! I am so scared they are going to stop making this. I want to buy some more, but I don't know how long perm lasts or even if it expires. I used one 8lb. tub for 2 and a half years. That was prolly a no no, but it didn't do any damage.

Nigeriangurl, that discount card is SO worth the 5 bucks.

Last edited:
I love this stuff! I use the mild and never burn or overprocess (I'm actually texturized with it).

Glad you had a good experience! HHG!

bklynwildheart said:
OT, but that Sally's card is excellent! I paid $5 for the year, and I made that back in 1 shopping trip! :)

On topic: I'm glad that you liked your relaxer results. Maybe one day I'll try it (I use Mizani no-lye).

Gotta love that sally's card... although I'm kind of ashamed of it because it feels like it's revealing my hair obsession every time I pull it out. :fan:

Nigeriangurl said:
Thanks Dee!

Ya, after not being able to find it at the other Sallys (they only had the no-lye), I went to the Scarborough location and would you believe that there was not one Regular on the shelf! They had tons of mild and super haha. Is everyone in Scarborough on LHCF?? Anyway, I went back the next day and got it.

Hmmmm, Sally's Discount card, I might have to look into that....

I noticed that too (regular strength is usually gone). I also used regular btw. There are a lot of members from this area including my self...that's interesting.

yourleoqueen said:
We need to send them some e-mails and tell them how much we love this stuff! I am so scared they are going to stop making this. I want to buy some more, but I don't know how long perm lasts or even if it expires. I used one 8lb. tub for 2 and a half years. That was prolly a no no, but it didn't do any damage.

Nigeriangurl, that discount card is SO worth the 5 bucks.

I was just thinking about stocking up on it but then thought about the expire date of it...how would that work??

Glad to hear more and more positive results with this, I'm going to use this on my next retouch here soon. I want join the Texturized Girls Club.

VWVixxen said:
Glad to hear more and more positive results with this, I'm going to use this on my next retouch here soon. I want join the Texturized Girls Club.
I'm so excited for you (because I love this relaxer!) although my hair isn't quite texturized anymore though :perplexed .

LMAO!! No need for shame, girl! :lol:

Maybe I'll go there this weekend to see what I can buy... :sekret:

*Dee* said:
Gotta love that sally's card... although I'm kind of ashamed of it because it feels like it's revealing my hair obsession every time I pull it out. :fan:

Congrats on a wonderful relaxer experience:) I'm a little bit jealous that you've got someone you trust to help you - that makes it a breeze. I first used Silk Elements relaxer on 6/13 and now I've tried just about everything in the line.

It's good stuff!!!

I picked up the Mild version this afternoon. I'm not sure when I'm relaxing but I know the local lurkers might be out shopping too.

Back