So I went for a consultation with a new stylist and...(long)

chayil0427

I know I SWORE of stylists forever, but I decided to go for a free consultation with a stylist whose number I got from a "are you Niko's cousin" type girl whom I had a class with a few semesters ago. I called her last night to discuss the problem I'm having with one side of my hair in the back being thin and shorter than the other side which is full and longer.

Well, full details. Her salon is in a very beautiful building that houses many one or two stylist salons both hair and nails. Her suite was beauitful arranged and she displayed some of my favorite product lines on her work bench including Avlon, Kera Care and Nexxus Phyto Organics. There was no music and the client whom she was working on had NIKO HAIR too! She was silkening her with a flat iron and there was no smoke or burned hair like when my old stylist does it. The clients hair looked full, shiny, and very healthy! Not a dry split burned over processed hair in sight.

She invited me and and had me comb down my hair. She said she could see the area I was talking about and suggested I get a half inch cut to remove the damage and even my hair up before growing any further. She, by the way, had beautiful layeres about lower neck length and the client she was working on was between SL and APL.

Having seen this stylists hair and two of her clients hair and having been in her shop I'm really thinking I should give her a try. She uses product lines I respect, and from what I've seen her technique is on point...both persons have hair approaching APL.

She even went as far as to say out right that what she's recommending is more of a cut than a trim. I was surprised that she didn't try to wiggle me in with that "it's just a lil trim" and I leave with half and inch of hair gone. Plus, I really agree with her recommendations.

I believe I'm going to go in for this "cut" I'm going to take before and after picks. I MAY let her do my next relaxer because I really do prefer a professional to do my relaxers, and from her work that I've seen I think I'll leave with a healthily straightened head of hair.

I will, however, continue to do my own washing and conditioning and roller sets (I didn't buy that 300 dollar pibbs for nothing.)

So what do you ladies think? Are you die hard ANTISTYLIST no matter what or do you think its a good idea to have a stylist you can trust who respects her clients right to long healthy hair on your side?

I'll fill you in on my experiences with this lady. It's going to be abuot a week and a half before she can work me in. So I'll give you gals pictures and a full report.

Chayil

glamazon386

I'm glad you went and checked her out and you're confident about her skills. I say go for it. I did the same thing when I wanted to get my natural hair flat ironed. I went to somebody based off a recommendation from on e of my friends. I went and talked to him beforehand and he knew what he was talking about so I then made an appt with him. He's great. :grin:

Creatividual

Go for it! She sounds like she's professional and pro healthy hair-not making it "look" healthy. If you don't like her you can always go back to doing your own hair or if you want you can go to her when you want to treat yourself and then you know a great place to go. :D

tnorenberg

I am very Anti-stylist, but I even think she may be a keeper. :D Sounds like a real professional stylist and that is important. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

chayil0427

Yea...I'm kinda exciting about seeing what she can do. But I will be all up in that mirror keeping her on point and if she goes for something I don't agree with Imma speak up RIGHT AWAY and not just whine about it after the fact, but I am glad y'all will be here just incase I need to whine. LOL.

I just love y'all **Throws up the LHCF Gang Sign**:eyebrows2

Chayil

Empress Yahudah

:) I think u should try her from what u wrote I think she is good im happy u found someone good to try out ...let us know how it goes

ravenmerlita

I don't go to stylists much but I always keep track of a a couple who have treated me and my hair right in case I have a need.

chayil0427

ravenmerlita said:
I don't go to stylists much but I always keep track of a a couple who have treated me and my hair right in case I have a need.

Yep...I've got four stylists in my phone. I guess I think Imma have some kinda HAIR EMERGENCY or summin LOL.

Chayil

CAPlush

You could go for it. I used to have a stylist like that, whose everyone ELSE's hair in the salon looked beautiful, but me. I had to accept that it just might be that my hair is different, unfortunately, and that no one was going to be able to figure out how to best care for and style my hair but me. Her other clients may be caring for their hair at home and coming to her with very specific requests, so make sure not to just leave everything in her hands. It's great that she knows how to straighten hair on low heat, make sure to remind her when you get there that you would prefer the lowest effective setting on the flat iron.

chayil0427

CAPlush said:
You could go for it. I used to have a stylist like that, whose everyone ELSE's hair in the salon looked beautiful, but me. I had to accept that it just might be that my hair is different, unfortunately, and that no one was going to be able to figure out how to best care for and style my hair but me. Her other clients may be caring for their hair at home and coming to her with very specific requests, so make sure not to just leave everything in her hands. It's great that she knows how to straighten hair on low heat, make sure to remind her when you get there that you would prefer the lowest effective setting on the flat iron.

Great advice and food for thought. Thanks.

Chayil

gymfreak336

I hope it works out. I am wishing you luck. She sounds great already. I have a consultation of sorts with a stylist next week. I thought she was "nikkos cousin" because her hair is soo long so when I asked her in the drugstore who does her hair is laughed a little and gave me her card. I hope all goes well. Sometimes I would really like a second opinion.

PaperClip

Never been anti-stylist (mom's a hairdresser) so there's hope that there are some hairdressers who took the (red or blue?) pill out of the matrix and are doing some wonderful, high-quality hair care and ain't scared of a well-informed client.

Glad to hear you went and checked her out before letting her get on her head. Looking forward to hearing the good news about your salon experience!:)

ETA: what's the LCHF (secret) sign? I don't want to say "gang" sign for obvious reasons! But that would be sooo cool and so much easier than having to break the ice with the Niko question!

cmw45

I say go for it...she seems like she is concerned about the health of your hair? You may have mentioned this already, but what city is the stylist located in?

I ask because I need a new one: I went to this stylist who I've been to before for my first and only flat ironing of my natural hair...the hair LOOKED great...very full...except the ends CLEARLY need to be cut. When I asked her to cut them, she said that she was going to wait, because she liked how full my hair looked...my ends were brittle and I couldn't pull my fingers through, while the rest of my hair was shiney and bouncy. Ugh...I'm really just looking for a stylist who can take care of my hair as well as I am trying to do. If anyone knows anyone in upstate NY pleasssssssssssssssssssse let me know.