So much information, I'm now confused

kenkaikim

I love all the information that is shared on this forum, but sometimes it confuses me. I am a natural 4a/b (?), with about an inch of HAIR. I shaved it all off (again) about 2 months ago. My problem is that no matter what I do to my hair, it always feels dry. Once a week I use a hot oil treatment (I got the recipe from FNWL website), that I cover with a plastic cap and let sit for about 30 minutes. I then wash with CON shampoo, deep condition with ORS Hair Mayonnaise with a plastic cap for about 10 minutes. I rinse well, blot hair, apply Aussie Hair Insurance leave-in conditioner, Hollywood Beauty Olive Creme and finish off with jojoba oil. Everyday thereafter I co-wash with Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner and spritz my hair with a glycerine/water mixture and seal it in with jojoba oil. I am the first person to admit that I do not know what I am doing so any suggestions would really be appreciated. I can take constructive criticism.

kenkaikim

Could it be the cheapie products that I am using? My budget is pretty tight, so I need to buy broke people products that work really well.

brittanynic16

It sounds to me like you are doing a little too much. Your hair may feel dry because you are using so many products on your hair. Everyone's hair is different but this is what I do. Once a week or every two weeks I wash with CON. I then do a hot oil treatment with Atler Ego under a drier. After I rinse, I apply shea butter to my hair, detangle and then style it in some sort of do so that it can dry. In the morning I style and go. Throughout the week I spray it with a little water and let the steam from the shower moisturize it, and I may apply a bit more shea if I feel the need. I recently did a combination of Alter Ego with one raw egg and olive oil during my hot oil treatment. It made my hair feel hard when I first rinsed but the next morning it was sooooo soft and has been that way for three days.

stacy

When I was natural, I tried different products and I learned the cardinal rule of hair- what works for one person's hair may not work for another's. Seems like you are using a lot of protein and oil-based products. Too much protein can "dry out" your hair. Some hair does not do well with oil. My natural hair did not like a lot of oil. My hair always felt "crispy" with oil-based stuff. I then tried water-based products that had gylcerine, sodium PCA, or propylene glycol as main ingredients (one of first 3 or 4). These ingredients absorb moisture. My hair felt much softer with these. My hair was probably also too porous (I had to constantly reapply these products to retain soft hair). As a relaxed head, I've discovered Porosity Control which corrects this problem. If I had used this as a natural head, perhaps my hair would have retained moisture longer and not soak it up so much. Sta-So-Fro in modest amounts was good for my hair and I loved Carol's Daughter shampoos and rinses. Basically, you just have to get to know your hair; which is true for all types of heads, but maybe more so for natural heads. You and your natural hair are like two long-lost lovers finally reunited after years of being apart and you have to "learn" each other all over again (or, perhaps you have been natural your whole life; what do I know, I'm just trying to wax poetic over here). Anyway, I would suggest that you analyze what feels best on your hair right now, look at the ingredients and do the same with what does not feel best. Look for patterns. Try new products based on what you are learning about your hair and not just based on what we rave about here. Be patient with yourself and your hair! HTH.

MeccaMedinah

I doubt that it's the cheap products that are making your hair dry. All my products are cheap. My hair does not respond to oil treatments like many other women's hair does. Shea butter is great for moisture, for my hair. You've gotta try different things, because your hair may not like what mine or anyone else's likes.
I had a lot of trial and error during my transition. My current routine is working for now.
Conditioner washes are probably a good start.
Have you tried any butters?

kenkaikim

Brittanynic16, I checked out your album and your hair looks similar to mine. I totally agree that I am probably using too many things. Like I stated, I was reading all of the information available and tried to apply everything that I read to myself. I did realize that my hair didn't seem to like oils, but I foolishly tried to incorporate oils into my routine because other people were using oils. :confused: I like the simplicity of your routine and it is definitely working for you. Other than online, where else can I purchase shea butter?

brittanynic16

You can buy shea butter at any organic food market but make sure it is unrefined. I may should like it but I am not a big oil person either. I can't apply straigth oil to dry or wet hair. If I do my hair will be super hard. The only time it seems to work is during conditioning. But, I think you will really like the shea butter. It works so well for me. I also fine that if you melt it then apply it is works the best. Also, water based produces have never done anything for my hair. But, I don't know why.

sillygurl18

If I were you I'd note how my hair feels after every step of your routine. I'd try to make my routine as simple and with as little products as possible.

Since you've already realized your hair doesn't respond to oils, maybe you could just shampoo and condition and let air dry. If it feels dry you know that either the shampoo is too drying, the conditioner doesn't moisturize enough, or you need something else on your hair after you shampoo. If you noted how your hair felt after each step, you'd probably know which one it is.

I don't think you'll need to do too much to your hair since you have short hair, but you know your hair better than I do so only you can decide that. HTH

kenkaikim

Brittanynic16, we might be hair twins! Thank you all ladies for your insightful suggestions. It is funny to me because about 7 years ago I went natural and I had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with dryness and all I used was a cheapie shampoo and conditioner, and S-Curl activator. No hot oil treatments, no deep conditioners, no co-washes and I got compliments on my hair all the time. But for some reason this time around, S-Curl made my hair feel gummy. I cannot believe that it just dawned on me that I was over thinking
what I needed to do with my hair. It is true that some people may need to do more to their hair to get the results that they want, but the key for me is simplicity!

jainygirl

Yeah it just sounds like youre doing a little too much. Just clarify and start trying one thing at a time with your hair. My hair loves unrefined shea butter and that's the only thing it will tolerate me putting on it. I use cheapie conditioners (VO5) and my prescription shampoo twice a week and that's all. Other than the shea I keep it real simple. Just try using one product at a time to see what your hair likes and dislikes :). HTH -- jainygirl

kenkaikim

I have another question. I have called the health food stores in my area and they do not have unrefined shea butter so I will have to order it. Can I use mango butter until my shea butter arrives? I ordered it from FNWL awhile ago and I never used it. Thanks in advice.

kenkaikim

Netta1, I am checking out your album and your hair and skin are BEAUTIFUL! My dry hair and blemish scarred face are jealous of you! :) Also, any reply concerning the mango butter question?