Does your stylist cut/trim your hair wet, blowdried, or flat-ironed?

Solitude

I'm curious about what the best method is. How does the cut come out? Are you natural or relaxed/texlaxed? Over the years, I have had stylists cut/trim my hair all three ways, but I feel like it should be as straight as possible.

The last time I needed a trim, the stylist tried to cut it after blowdrying only and I thought that was strange. I would have preferred her to flat iron first. That is how I do it when I trim my hair myself. I didn't let her cut it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

CurlyLawGal

Im natural. My stylist trims after flat ironing. It always comes out nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Nonie

Solitude, I don't see much difference between it being blow-dried or flat-ironed. The idea is to have it straight-ISH so the same amount can be cut from all the strands. I would even be OK with hair that is stretched out by banding or braiding just to avoid heat altogether. The last time I let anyone in my hair, the stylist blowdried my hair and gave me a perfect BC--even though I didn't ask for it.

I dust my own hair w/o straightening and because I work on small sections at a time and trim the same amount from all, I trust I get a fairly uniform trim.

Tamster

ive only been trimmed once... and my hair was being twisted. shes snipped the ends a bit. it worked well for me.

im natural

KurlyNinja

I haven't been to the stylist in such a long time, but she would cut it after she blowdried. Never had a problem. I was also relaxed at the time.

sherrimberri

Right after its blow dried. Although i have had it trimmed after being flat ironed.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using SGH-T959

Solitude

Thanks for all of the answers. I really need a good trim. I'm even thinking about cutting layers and I need to figure out the best way to go about it. As my hair gets longer, it just hangs with no shape.

Nonie this stylist used to do my hair back in the day and she would give me beautiful cuts on blowdried hair, so I think you're right.

mEmYSELFaNDj

Im natural and I've only ever had my hair trimmed after it was flat ironed straight. IA with you I think it should be as straight as possible, to ensure the hair is evenly cut.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Solitude, I don't see much difference between it being blow-dried or flat-ironed. The idea is to have it straight-ISH so the same amount can be cut from all the strands. I would even be OK with hair that is stretched out by banding or braiding just to avoid heat altogether. The last time I let anyone in my hair, the stylist blowdried my hair and gave me a perfect BC--even though I didn't ask for it.

I dust my own hair w/o straightening and because I work on small sections at a time and trim the same amount from all, I trust I get a fairly uniform trim.

Nonie
After my last dusting - I found there is a HUGE difference between flat ironing and blow-drying. My hair was starting to "shrink" from the blow dry. The stylist had a HARD time keeping all one length. My hair was bone straight for exactly 10 minutes. She asked that I flat iron it in the future.

LaFemmeNaturelle

All of the stylists I've ever been too (about 4 who trimmed my hair) did so on bone straight (flat ironed or pressed) hair. This was when I was natural and relaxed. I'm natural again and when I get trimmed, it will be on bone straight hair to ensure evenness.

Solitude

Thanks, everyone. mzteaze (corrected my mention)

Shrinkage was what I was worried about with blowdried hair. I'm relaxed/texlaxed, but I feel like my flat ironed hair is longer/more stretched out.

I was concerned that an inch of blowdried hair was more than an inch if fully stretched/flattened.

I forgot to add the option of a curly dry cut for naturals. This would have been better with a poll!

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm relaxed and asked a previous stylist the difference between wet and dry cuts. She explained it's based on hair texture and whether you're natural or relaxed. The goal is to get the hair as straight as possible for cutting. Based on the hair's state (texture, natural or relaxed), that determines wet or dry. With relaxed, wet cuts typically allow for optimum straightness without heat. For naturals, applying heat is ideal to stretch the hair out to ensure evenenss. Not my thoughts but those of a stylist. Just sharing. ETA: My hair is trimmed wet generally speaking although I've had it trimmed dry before.

Last edited:

Nonie

Nonie
After my last dusting - I found there is a HUGE difference between flat ironing and blow-drying. My hair was starting to "shrink" from the blow dry. The stylist had a HARD time keeping all one length. My hair was bone straight for exactly 10 minutes. She asked that I flat iron it in the future.

mzteaze, your hair reverted while she was trimming? :confused: That's so odd. I would at least expect that to happen after you leave the salon and go out into humidity or something.

I honestly can't see why it'd be hard to trim blow dried hair, but that's just me. I think I could trim braid-stretched hair too. *shrug*

ETA: May my idea of blowdried/blown out hair is different from what you all have in mind. lusciousladie07's hair in the first post in this thread is what I have in mind and I don't see what would be so difficult with dusting the same amount from the ends of her hair.

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
mzteaze, your hair reverted while she was trimming? :confused: That's so odd. I would at least expect that to happen after you leave the salon and go out into humidity or something.

I honestly can't see why it'd be hard to trim blow dried hair, but that's just me. I think I could trim braid-stretched hair too. *shrug*

ETA: May my idea of blowdried/blown out hair is different from what you all have in mind. lusciousladie07's hair in the first post in this thread is what I have in mind and I don't see what would be so difficult with dusting the same amount from the ends of her hair.

Nonie
My hair was blown straight and was hanging like this:

Even in this picture you can see how its starting to "shrink" in the middle. My hair reverts quickly regardless of product and amount of moisture in my routine. Oh well.

lacreolegurl

I'm natural and I only trim after flat ironing. My hair reverts quickly after blowdrying alone. I flatiron to be sure I get the best results for my hair.

prospurr4

All of my trims have been done on straight-as-possible, dry hair. Since I have adopted a "no direct heat" regimen, I trim after straightening my hair with a rollerset on jumbo rollers.

@divachyk, your hair/ends look great in your siggy.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I'm relaxed and asked a previous stylist the difference between wet and dry cuts. She explained it's based on hair texture and whether you're natural or relaxed. The goal is to get the hair as straight as possible for cutting. Based on the hair's state (texture, natural or relaxed), that determines wet or dry. With relaxed, wet cuts typically allow for optimum straightness without heat. For naturals, applying heat is ideal to stretch the hair out to ensure evenenss. Not my thoughts but those of a stylist. Just sharing. ETA: My hair is trimmed wet generally speaking although I've had it trimmed dry before.

Yup I think this is true. My stylist always trimmed my moms relaxed hair while wet and I wondered why she never did mine wet. My mom's hair was bone straight when wet while mine (relaxed hair) was wavy.

Aireen

I am relaxed. My stylist usually cuts my hair wet, the way she cuts it comes out very blunt. You can tell that I've had a good trim when my hair is cut with this method. I got a touch-up last week and my hair was trimmed while dry, it doesn't have that same blunt precision. I also notice she cuts more when wet or maybe it's because the hair is more likely to stretch when wet and shrink a bit while dry so hair can look a little shorter when it comes to the final result.

She's been doing my hair since a little after SL and I'm MBL/WL now. She understands I want my hair very long so I guess cutting dry is her way of keeping my trims extremely minimal.

EDIT: She doesn't flat-iron my hair anymore so when I say "dry" I mean blow-dried with a round brush. Flat-ironed hair gives me the same results... well actually it makes my hair smell burnt and get greasier/flatter a lot faster. The actual straightness of the hair looks the same though.

Last edited: